News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dave Doxey

Florida Hurricane
« on: October 07, 2022, 09:01:22 AM »
Any information on how Florida courses were affected by last week’s hurricane?

Ian Mackenzie

Re: Florida Hurricane
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 10:05:28 AM »
I have a photo of Olde Collier in Naples and it is under 10' of water as of last week.

Buddy at Calusa Pines says course will not re-open for "3-4 months".

some photos and videos here: https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/09/29/hurricane-ian-damage-florida-golf-courses-south-carolina/

https://www.news-press.com/story/weather/hurricane/2022/10/06/sw-fl-golf-courses-damaged-hurricane-ian-assessment-south-florida-pga-chief/8195069001/

I think the bottom line is: If the course is "west of 41 and north of Bonita Springs", it is in trouble.

South and east of there and it is better.
East of 75 (like Bonita Bay remote 2 Fazios) and you are OK. But BB's other 3 are trashed.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 11:13:16 AM by Ian Mackenzie »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 02:36:36 PM »
I have not checked in with Streamsong because I’ve been overseas, and I know they would have plenty to do without reassuring me.  But I saw an email yesterday that all three courses are back open.

I’ve seen the aftermath of a few hurricanes, and except for courses that go “10 feet underwater,” the biggest job is the removal of debris from downed trees and plants.  Modern courses with few trees tend to have less problems.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 02:41:35 PM »

I think the bottom line is: If the course is "west of 41 and north of Bonita Springs", it is in trouble.

South and east of there and it is better.

Largely but not totally true.  Pelican Sound in Estero west of 41 and just south of Ft. Myers, 3 nines - 2 very minor damage, other course will likely be open in a month or so...

Carl Nichols

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 03:05:03 PM »
My understanding is that farther north, Old Memorial (15 miles inland?) only lost a day.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 03:09:08 PM »
My understanding is that farther north, Old Memorial (15 miles inland?) only lost a day.

I don't think Tampa courses had anything but minor issues. I'm going to Innisbrook in a week and a half then heading down to the Naples area. Not sure what to expect when I get down there. Have friends that had some severe flooding damage to their houses. I was lucky.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022, 02:56:06 AM »
Our courses at Belleair (Clearwater Beach) had no damage and opened for play within a few days.  Pretty remarkable and lucky for us as we were only 65 miles north of the eye and are only 1 mile from the Gulf.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2022, 07:58:25 AM »
Our courses at Belleair (Clearwater Beach) had no damage and opened for play within a few days.  Pretty remarkable and lucky for us as we were only 65 miles north of the eye and are only 1 mile from the Gulf.

Jonathan:

Glad everything turned out okay, while you were overseas!

One thing I learned about hurricanes from Hugo is that being on the wrong side of the eye is a devastating difference.  They spin counterclockwise, so the tidal surge is north of the eye if you're on the east coast, but south of the eye if you're on the west coast of Florida.  The eye of Hugo went almost directly over Charleston, and the Isle of Palms took the biggest hit, but even up in Myrtle Beach the tidal surge was substantial.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back