News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Re: 4 Rounds In Ireland
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2022, 09:18:41 PM »
Thanks Tim !

Bill Brightly

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2022, 09:19:57 AM »
Lots of good advice here, I also strongly recommend play a second round at RCD. You'll regret it if you don't as you walk off the 18th green.

I'll also pass along a great tip I once received on this website when planning to go to Northern Ireland: book a political tour in Belfast, or simply ask any black cab. Very powerful. (I also suggest buying copies of Trinity for the group!)

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2022, 03:13:23 AM »
I do have fond memories of Galway circa 1987. The city was unusually boisterous. Its well worth leaving the sticks in the boot for a few days of Galway.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Rick Sides

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2024, 10:23:27 AM »
So finally going to Ireland next week for the first time ! Taking a caddy each round. Going to get to play 3 courses and a pitch and putt with my son for one round. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts/ advice on the courses and towns. Playing Royal County , Old Head , and Doonbeg. Thanks for help !

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2024, 10:44:10 AM »
Wow, I assume you are there for an extended time?  RCD and Old Head are quite far apart.

Of course visit Cliffs of Moher while in the vicinity of Doonbeg.  There is a pitch and putt next to Lahinch that you can play.

Kinsale has many great restaurants/pubs while you are down at Old Head.

Enjoy!
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Rick Sides

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2024, 10:47:00 AM »
Hey Kevin we will be there for 10 days altogether so kinda touring the country with a few days in north , south and west

Rob Marshall

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2024, 11:02:18 AM »
Rick,

If you are going to be in Northern Ireland, you should definitely play St. Patrick’s. As Sean Able said, it might be the best course in Ireland. That’s a pretty strong statement, of course, but it just might be true.

St. Patrick’s is an amazing property. At the same time, it is very clear that Tom Doak and his Renaissance team put a lot of effort into the details, especially with the greens.

Tom Watson was famously quoted as saying Ballybunion is a place aspiring architects should live and study before building golf courses. IMO, the same can be said of St. Patrick’s. Don’t miss it.

St Patricks is in Northern Ireland? I thought Sandy Hills was in the Republic when I played it?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2024, 11:09:29 AM »
It still is, Rob.

Jon Claydon

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2024, 11:13:03 AM »

Great spot near Cork on the way down to Old Head is the Ballymore Farm and Gardens.  Food and produce is incredible and the gardens are a lovely walk.  The cooking classes are also top notch. 

https://www.ballymaloecookeryschool.ie/

Ira Fishman

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2024, 03:17:59 PM »
Rick,

Depending on your route, Achill Island is extremely scenic and Westport is a nice town south of it. Some surprisingly good restaurants. Assuming you are visiting Killarney, don’t skip the Killarney National Park.

Enjoy.

Ira

mike_malone

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2024, 04:11:01 PM »
Rick,

If you are traveling to/from Royal County Down to/from Dublin must see Newgrange, a Druid burial site. It is awesome.
AKA Mayday

Sean_A

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2024, 02:30:56 AM »
Rick,

If you are traveling to/from Royal County Down to/from Dublin must see Newgrange, a Druid burial site. It is awesome.

+1. I am not usually impressed with this sort of thing, but I enjoyed my visit to  Newgrange.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Rick Sides

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2024, 10:35:11 AM »
Mayday,
Just bought tickets today to see Newgrange- older than the pyramids!

Craig Sweet

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2024, 06:36:57 PM »
If in Dublin I would spend an evening at Cobblestone enjoying some excellent trad music...or perhaps a pint at Gravediggers.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Peter Bowman

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2024, 06:47:20 PM »
Lahinch, Royal County Down, Portrush, Ballybunion

THIS.

I’ll add in a 5th: Corvallis Links, a quirky links course abutting The Island Club and its only 15 min from DUB

Garland Bayley

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2024, 06:58:41 PM »
Lahinch, Royal County Down, Portrush, Ballybunion

THIS.

I’ll add in a 5th: Corvallis Links, a quirky links course abutting The Island Club and its only 15 min from DUB

Corvallis is a town in Oregon where Oregon State U is. Corballis is a links near the Island Club.
OSU Grad, Garland
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Craig Sweet

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2024, 09:02:12 PM »
Garland, I've been to Corvallis, Oregon several times and never knew they had a links side course! I'll have to play it next time.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2024, 11:30:42 AM »
Garland, I've been to Corvallis, Oregon several times and never knew they had a links side course! I'll have to play it next time.

Corvallis, MT is 45 miles from you. Perhaps you should check it out. I can assure you there is no links course near Corvallis, OR having lived there.

Sorry for the thread jack. I too would love to play Corballis.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2024, 01:14:15 PM »
If you travel south from Dublin, stop at Glendalough. It is a sixth-century monastic village and, I think, the prettiest inland place in Ireland. It is in the stunning Wicklow mountains. Glendalough means valley of two lakes.

https://www.ireland.com/en-us/things-to-do/attractions/glendalough/
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back