News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

chipper

Tasmania: Doak's New Course
« on: November 28, 2003, 10:12:33 PM »
Do you know anything about Tom Doak's new course in Tasmania?  I heard that the site is better than Pacific Dunes and Friar's Head.

chipper

Re:Tasmania: Doak's New Course
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 10:21:15 PM »
Tom's annual tournament will be in Tasmania.  Tom - Can you provide any details about the course?

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2003, 07:57:01 AM »
Chipper,

The course you refer to is Barnbougle Dunes, which Doak is doing in conjunction with Mike Clayton's design team. It's on the north coast of Tasmania. I think it's due to open late 2004. The early murmurs indicate it could be something special. It will probably have to be to make the venture work and get people travelling across Bass Strait.

See:
www.barnbougledunes.com
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 07:57:40 AM by Dela »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2003, 12:44:28 PM »
It seems I need to get to work. The world of great golf courses is expanding every year.

Paul_Daley

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2003, 06:40:12 AM »
Chipper: the quality of the Barnbougle is every bit as good as you've heard. Ranking properties against others is fraught with danger, and I'm not in a position to comment having not played FH or PD. However, no-one who has traipsed over the genuine linksland has been anything short of bowled-over.

Forget reports about Barnbougle being near the sea, this little beauty is on the sea, with 4-5 tees positioned atop the frontal dunes. Strangely and somewhat anti-climatic, at very few links in the UK do you actually hear the roar of the sea.  

Out on the links, there are perhaps 13-15 holes with views of the ocean. Royal Porthcawl in Wales makes good capital of having sea-views on all 18 holes, but rest assured the Barnbougle property is considerably more promising for golf. Another highlight of the property is the water boundaries: estaury; sea; and low-lying wetlands on three sides. Away in the distance, the spectre of a purple-headed mountain range makes a glorious contrast.

One interesting aspect of the property is the variation in dune elevation, and this alone ensures the shotmaking variety. At various times through the round, you'll draw on comparisions with Lahinch, Ballybunion, and Portrush. Everyone will see something different, but my feeling when viewing it pre-construction and during, has been one of an overwhelming Irish links flavour, not Scottish or English.  

Like St. Andrews Beach, visitors to Barnbougle will be treated to a variety of par-lengths, and some crackerjack short par-4s.

Perhaps as a mark of confidence from an architect who has "runs on the board", one talking point of Barnbougle Dunes will be a medium-long par-3 from an elevated tee to a huge, billowy green, framed by marram grass with about 35 potential pin positions. I kid you not: the audacious 13th green is bigger than Wall Street, but with many more undulations.  

Unlike some of the UK links, which can leave you less than excited about the clubhouse (structure and positioning), Barnbougle's selected site will leave golfers with a lasting impression of their visit.

Dela: It's always good to be conservative when predicting dates for Opening Day; too many courses Down Under over the last five years have opened up that niggling 1-2 months too early, sometimes due to the pressure of stating it on a prospectus. You mention late 2004: when I spoke to one of the directors recently, it was his opinion that April 2004 was nearer the mark.  

GregRamsay

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2003, 09:22:09 PM »
Chipper, all is progressing well here.  We have the bulk of work done on all 18holes, with nearly 12 of them fully seeded.  The grass is jumping out of the ground right now, and the back 9 (which we built first) looks tremendous all green.  I would put up some pics if i was a web guru.  

Brian Schneider from Renaissance Golf Design is doing terrific work with the shaping (we expect Tom down in the next week to finish the last 4 holes with him), and the transformation of local shearers, farmhands and secretaries into well oiled irrigation and seeding crews has us well placed to finish construction in the next month or so.

As pointed out, currently the best way to compare our site with Pacific Dunes is to look at www.barnbougledunes.com  I have not been to PD, but we have had many people here who have, (incl.3 of our current staff who worked on construction there) and the general feeling is that the 2 sites are quite different, but comparable in quality.  In terms of which landform offered the most raw potential, you'd have to ask Tom.  At the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference; e.g some of our holes are right down on the beach, others are quite high up in the dunes.  PD's oceanside holes generally appear to be more elevated, so its a matter of whether you prefer the grand ocean vista, or the intimacy of being right by the beach.  Our main focus is to ensure that our course turns out as successful!

sincerely

Greg Ramsay
Links Golf Tasmania Pty Ltd.

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2003, 01:06:48 AM »
Paul/Greg,

Thanks for the updates. I'd only been going on word of mouth that it was a late 2004 opening but all the better if it's up and running by April. It definitely sounds exciting. I've never been to Tassie to play golf but I suspect that will be rectified some time soon.

Paul, I do agree with you about courses opening too early. I suppose the financial pressure is exacerbated by the weather. If you don't get a course up and running by late summer/early autumn then you might have to wait until mid/late spring in some climates. I can think of examples of clubs reconstructing a green or a tee at the wrong time of year and having problems with the new grasses taking.

One thing people haven't mentioned much about the course is the weather. I'm guessing that it could get a bit wild down there from time to time - that'll add a different dimension to those short par 4s.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2003, 10:00:54 AM »
Greg, Please let us know where to stay for the trip from New orleans to Tasmania might require a bit of rest before golf. I cannot wait to see this course.

Paul_Daley

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2003, 03:55:31 PM »
Tiger: you are welcome to stay a couple of nights in Melbourne with us, then head off to Barnbougle Dunes in a rested state. Email: fswing@bigpond.net.au

Greg: thanks for the update, things must be getting really exciting on site.

Paul_Daley

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2003, 04:14:30 PM »
Dela:

You're right about timing and weather: a two-week hitch can easy pan out to be a six month delay.

Good point about the weather and its lack of mention in relation to Barnbougle Dunes. I sense golfers just accept that weather has the potential to get 'woolly' on the coast. Pleasingly, Bridport is 'relatively' sheltered when compared to many other Tasmanian coastal towns. One guarentee: the weather is considerably kinder than the UK!  

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2003, 04:25:47 PM »
Paul, thank you for your invitation. I am looking forward to a much needed trip to see and play some of the best golf on the planet. The weather issue was noted. Please chat a bit about the best periods for visiting from a golf point of view.

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2003, 05:48:20 AM »
Tiger,

I would assume the best time to play at Barnbougle will be over the Australian summer. The weather in Tasmania is usually a little bit cooler than on the mainland so you can plan a trip in high summer in the knowledge you won't get any 40+ celsius days like you can get in Melbourne - more like mid 20s-low 30s in Tasmania. Anytime between November and April would be optimal. If you're coming all that way then you'd probably want to combine it with golf in Melbourne, the best time being Feb/March/April. The course will be good at any time of year but it gets a bit cool in Tassie in the winter months.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2003, 11:13:55 AM »
thanks you very much. The late summerand fall is a great time of the year to visit and play a little golf.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2003, 06:11:25 PM »
Hi, Greg and Paul...

For those who don't know me, I had a chance to work at Barnbougle during last summer, and this place is special... It would be about pure golf... Set in Bridport, a small village along the sea, one thing to focus on: links golf...

A series of great holes and a difficult, into the wind finish over the last four holes.. .On 18, you might have to aim on the beach to reach the fairway,. By the way, the beach is playable, I've done that...

Some great stories already, the very ondulating 13th green...
the KEY hole 11th... and the legend of the Watters bunker...

Seriously, the bunkering will be impressive in those grassy dunes...

Michael Dugger

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2003, 07:51:20 PM »
LET'S GET SOME PICTURES!!!!!!
LET'S GET SOME PICTURES!!!!!!

Greg....send them to me.  Send them to Tommy.  We'll get them up.  

I'm DYING HERE!!  I need a fix!!  I need my Barnbougle Dunes!
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Norbert P

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2003, 08:45:55 PM »
"On 18, you might have to aim on the beach to reach the fairway. By the way, the beach is playable, I've done that..."

Philipe,

Thanks for stoking the fire in us smoldering dreamers.

Are posting pictures allowed yet from management?  

"All I want for Christmas is more."

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

George Blunt

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2003, 12:22:29 AM »
Hey Philippe,

Good to see you on here, will you be back for St Andrew's Beach?

George

spooky69

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2003, 11:26:42 PM »
I had heard and read a bit about this course and had to take a look, so I went down from Melb last week.  This course is totally stunning, and I for one cant wait till it opens.  The front and back nines are quite different from each other, with the front nine winding through amazing rugged dunes.  A couple of holes incorporate the water on the front but the main feature is the way the holes wind through the dunes.

The back nine utilizes the ocean and an estuary that runs along 15 and 16.  Every hole has ocean views and the last 4 holes are literally on the edge of the sea.  There is probably on a couple of weak holes (by barnbougle standards) and 16 great holes. ;)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2003, 07:28:01 PM »
What's the airfare from Philly? :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back