News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 09:09:00 PM by David_Tepper »

Jeff Schley

Re: "Small Town Golf In South Carolina"
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 12:54:47 AM »
Thanks David. One thing I didn't know was that Palmetto is the oldest continually operated course in the USA?  Is that true?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 06:54:22 AM »
Thanks David. One thing I didn't know was that Palmetto is the oldest continually operated course in the USA?  Is that true?

Not sure if that's true or not as it depends on the criteria.
1892 on same site with several different early renditions-not well versed in the history of other clubs sites/operating etc.

But I can tell you it is NOT a Donald Ross course,
Leeds, Mackenzie,Jones, Schneider, Doak, Hanse, Baker,perhaps....but not Ross
and it is NOT $1400 for a "round" this week.
It's $1400 for a foursome, but then who would expect a business writer to get math/facts straight.

The public green fee is $350, which includes lunch(for years it was $75, then $100 for many years), during a week of intense demand and highly inflated prices for everything that week in Aiken/Augusta($400 badges go for $10,000).
3 BR ranch houses rent for $10,000-$20,000.

Compared to Pinehurst, Sea Island, Hilton Head in prime season, much less during an important event?
Very good value for that week(the accompanied rate is $80-as always), and it's fiery firm and fast at the moment, despite over an inch of rain Thursday.

Very ironic the writer would mention Palmetto and refer (incorrectly) only to the green fee and(incorrectly)reference the wrong architect with no mention/description of the golf course,then refer to the highly Corporate Champions Retreat with some gibberish about 3 player/architects and "graceful pines", and no mention of their green fee that week that dwarfs Palmetto's.
Augusta CC(who at one point in their over-renovated history actually had Donald Ross as an architect) is $3000 per foursome that week and the time must be booked by a member.

Palmetto has always opened to the public for Masters week(Members can't make a time for that week until late March, giving priority to the public who have Masters tee time making ability from early January)

I found it very hard to believe anything else in the article after seing the initial misstatements.
I hope he got some of Blair's and Schreiber's comments correct and in context-but I doubt it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 07:09:37 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Carl Johnson

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 05:27:08 PM »
Ft. Mill Golf Club is a good daily fee option; first nine is Ross; later back nine Cobb.  I like the first nine better.  Not an easy course.  As a senior I walk on Monday for $35 I think it is.  Conditioned like most publics, maybe a little better.  But is Ft. Mill a small town or a Charlotte suburb?

Jeff Segol

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 06:50:19 PM »
The best thing about playing at Palmetto during Masters week is the way they treat the guests. My group played there in 2011, when we had practice round tickets. I missed the turn off for Palmetto twice, before finally seeing the tiny sign at the start of the entrance road. I pulled up and let my buddies out, with bags and shoes, and then raced to park the car. I ran into the pro shop, to find my buddies shmoozing the lady at the cash register. I then said, "We better hurry and warm up, it's only 20 minutes to our tee time."

I then felt a large hand clap me on the shoulder, and a deep voice said, "Son, we never hurry here at Palmetto. You boys go out to the range and take all the time you need to warm up. When you're ready, come back and we'll get you out." That was Tom Moore, Palmetto's pro for 30 years. We had a great time there, I made birdie on the second or third hole, and we had a nice sandwich and a beer in the little snack bar afterwards. It was a great experience.

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 09:30:25 AM »

Devereux Emmet may have suggested some changes at Palmetto in 1924?:

The Augusta Herald., March 21, 1924(Last paragraph in the left-hand column):

Mike Dutton

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2022, 08:34:11 AM »

Jeff and Jeff Warne -

On its website Palmetto GC puts forth the following:

"Research indicates that the Palmetto Golf Club is the oldest, continually operated eighteen hole golf course in its original location in the Southeast and probably the second oldest in the United States, with the Chicago Golf Club being the oldest."

So, as JW points out, it is the criteria that matters...and Palmetto includes some opportunities here for criteria-bending when they use the words, "continually operated", "eighteen hole", "in its original location", "Southeast" and "probably".  No shame on them as clubs want to be historically accurate and find ways to market themselves.  In reading the Palmetto history...founded in 1892 as a 4-hole course, expanded to 9 holes in no exact year and then became 18 holes in 1895 - makes for a bit of a moving target with the "eighteen hole" mention in their statement.

This only caught my attention because I am actually scheduled on Sunday, May 1 to visit the oldest continuously operated 9-hole golf course in the United States (so it claims), which is Middlesboro CC in Middlesboro, KY.

If anyone cares, I will let them know what I discover.

Mike Dutton
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 08:53:24 AM by Mike Dutton »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2022, 09:48:02 AM »
This only caught my attention because I am actually scheduled on Sunday, May 1 to visit the oldest continuously operated 9-hole golf course in the United States (so it claims), which is Middlesboro CC in Middlesboro, KY.
I visited there in April 2015. The course was in terrible condition, even for spring. I didn't want to share pictures.
Nothing of huge architectural interest, but several good green sites.

Criticism of the Bloomberg article has been very charitable.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2022, 10:02:39 AM »
I've played Palmetto.  Very friendly place.  Not your typical course, quirky you might say, particularly the greens.  Whatever the history, courses like this need to be preserved for the history and enjoyed for what they are.

Zac Blair

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2022, 11:53:13 AM »

1892 on same site with several different early renditions-not well versed in the history of other clubs sites/operating etc.

It's $1400 for a foursome, but then who would expect a business writer to get math/facts straight.

The public green fee is $350, which includes lunch(for years it was $75, then $100 for many years), during a week of intense demand and highly inflated prices for everything that week in Aiken/Augusta($400 badges go for $10,000).

Compared to Pinehurst, Sea Island, Hilton Head in prime season, much less during an important event?
Very good value for that week(the accompanied rate is $80-as always), and it's fiery firm and fast at the moment, despite over an inch of rain Thursday.

Very ironic the writer would mention Palmetto and refer (incorrectly) only to the green fee and(incorrectly)reference the wrong architect with no mention/description of the golf course,then refer to the highly Corporate Champions Retreat with some gibberish about 3 player/architects and "graceful pines", and no mention of their green fee that week that dwarfs Palmetto's.
Augusta CC(who at one point in their over-renovated history actually had Donald Ross as an architect) is $3000 per foursome that week and the time must be booked by a member.

Palmetto has always opened to the public for Masters week(Members can't make a time for that week until late March, giving priority to the public who have Masters tee time making ability from early January)

I found it very hard to believe anything else in the article after seing the initial misstatements.
I hope he got some of Blair's and Schreiber's comments correct and in context-but I doubt it.

This article was very weird ... they reached out to me and said they were writing an article about the tree farm ... spent a good bit of time one day discussing our project/the course/the experience ... a few weeks later I get a call back about some follow up questions regarding "masters week" - honestly probably spent 2 minutes on the phone saying I didn't have any specifics about our plans for that week but I knew it was a big week in the area ...
Next thing I know the articles comes out and literally had nothing to do with the tree farm LOL

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2022, 08:16:05 PM »

This article was very weird ... they reached out to me and said they were writing an article about the tree farm ... spent a good bit of time one day discussing our project/the course/the experience ... a few weeks later I get a call back about some follow up questions regarding "masters week" - honestly probably spent 2 minutes on the phone saying I didn't have any specifics about our plans for that week but I knew it was a big week in the area ...
Next thing I know the articles comes out and literally had nothing to do with the tree farm LOL

LOL-pretty much just as I suspected.
bad/lazy writing is usually very consistent ;), especially when the "research" is done to fit the predisposed narrative.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Mammel

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2022, 08:41:53 PM »
Moaybe the most fun and certainly the best value is Aiken GC, 1912 Ross course very reminiscent of Mid Pines/Pinehurst. Friendly, and amazingly times available during Masters week for $80-$120, better than the $350 at Palmetto. Some photos below. Give it a go if you're in the area and wanting to play.

So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2022, 09:03:49 PM »
Moaybe the most fun and certainly the best value is Aiken GC, 1912 Ross course very reminiscent of Mid Pines/Pinehurst. Friendly, and amazingly times available during Masters week for $80-$120, better than the $350 at Palmetto. Some photos below. Give it a go if you're in the area and wanting to play.

Nice pics Mark.
I played there yesterday.
Every time I play there I see more things I had forgotten that are really cool.
The only criticism I can think of is the lack of length variety in the par 4's, but each of the holes is really cool by themselves.
Some outstanding par 3's and 5s as well.
Two of the par 5's are short, but very good holes with interesting design and greens regardless of par.
Outstanding value even at Masters rates.
Played Palmetto in the afternoon which never disappoints, but $350 this week would be steep(I'm a member) vs $120 so I would give the value edge to AGC, with a great halfway house and cool pub/restaurant as well.
Nice that Palmetto opens their doors this week and is an option though, and Palmetto steers play there once they fill up

Mark Mammel

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2022, 08:24:50 AM »
I agree- I played Palmetto a few years ago and had a great time. Saw Roger Cleveland. Seemed to be the place to be.
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back