News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Marshall

Dunedin Golf Club
« on: January 20, 2022, 03:52:26 PM »
A friend of mine plays at Dunedin and he told me yesterday the city plans on starting a restoration of the course hopefully by year end. They want to take the course back to the original Ross layout so they will be adding something like 35 bunkers. He also mentioned that the Donald Ross Society would be contributing some funds.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

jeffwarne

Re: Dunedin Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 06:29:52 PM »
I drove by Dunedin Saturday/Sunday on a non golf trip but didn't play.
I did hit balls both days at the Chi Chi Rodriguez driving range, which has an excellent short game facility.
Played Dunedin about 10 years ago on a "PGA Show" trip.
In fairness to my lack of proximity to Orlando during the PGA Show, Dunedin's parking lot was the original site of the PGA Show, so I was there in spirit. ;)
I enjoyed the course a lot.

I always get a little nervous when a restoration or renovation occurs, as the place usually gets more $$ and busier.
Let's hope they get it right and don't turn it into a high end high $$ destination-as so many have.
Dunedin has a very nice downtown area-I enjoyed my time in the area.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 07:08:11 AM »
I played Dunedin a few years back and it was an enjoyable round. The guy I played with was visiting from France, about 6'6" tall and visited the USA as much as possible so he could eat at all the "chain" restaurants that don't exist in France. I have pics of most of the holes there.
Last 10:
Erie GC (PA), Skyway GC (NJ), Ferry Point Links (NY), The Bridge (NY), Montauk Downs (NY), Totteridge GC (PA), Hillsboro Elks (OH), Smock GC (IN), Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC - South (OH)

Rob Marshall

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 09:33:15 AM »
Last time I played there was about 3 years ago in October. I think we paid $35. The first three or 4 holes wouldn't be described as a friendly hand shake. It's a tough start. I really like it. Like Jeff said hopefully they keep the price reasonable.

Kris Spence

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 04:31:12 PM »
I visited Dunedin in the spring of 2021 at the request of Kevin Janiga, Greens Chairman.  KJ was interested in my thoughts after seeing an article about my restorative work at Sara Bay in Sarasota.  We rode the course with the 18 hole drawing and a set of notes from Hatch to the original owners in 1925.  In a nutshell, the course has been neutered by the removal of 75 original bunkers and a couple attempts to resurface the greens by adding rootzone etc, the greens are about 50-60% of their original size.  The good news is the original green surfaces and fill pads are intact buried under between 12 and 18" of added material.  Excessive tree planting has choked down the width and created major issues with shade throughout.  The place is tired and worn out, getting about 60,000 rounds a year at this point.

Following my visit, John Stiles with the Ross Society Foundation called and inquired if I knew of any municipal courses they might help with a Foundation Grant.  I put him in touch with KJ and the DRS agreed to fund a Plan to start the process of trying to restore the course.  I prepared a Restorative Plan and presented it to the club members, board and city officials a few weeks ago.
We are hopeful that restoration of the course can be accomplished within the next two years.  The project, if approved would restore and reconstruct the Ross green complexes to their original dimensions, features and elevations along with greenside bunkers.  We are looking to restore about 87 bunkers of 114 that originally existed.  We will also reinstate bunker landforms in many original locations without sand and irregular mound hummocks shown on the Ross drawing.  The project would install a new irrigation system, enlarge tees, add length, add forward tees, reduce tree encroachment and re-grass the entire golf course.  Holes 15 and 17 will get significant drainage improvements as well.

I will try and post additional information and include some historic photos when I have more time.  Dunedin was a very good golf course in its early days, very solid strategic design with some great creativity shown on and around the greens, its sad to see what has happened to it over the years.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 08:28:59 PM »
I visited Dunedin in the spring of 2021 at the request of Kevin Janiga, Greens Chairman.  KJ was interested in my thoughts after seeing an article about my restorative work at Sara Bay in Sarasota.  We rode the course with the 18 hole drawing and a set of notes from Hatch to the original owners in 1925.  In a nutshell, the course has been neutered by the removal of 75 original bunkers and a couple attempts to resurface the greens by adding rootzone etc, the greens are about 50-60% of their original size.  The good news is the original green surfaces and fill pads are intact buried under between 12 and 18" of added material.  Excessive tree planting has choked down the width and created major issues with shade throughout.  The place is tired and worn out, getting about 60,000 rounds a year at this point.

Following my visit, John Stiles with the Ross Society Foundation called and inquired if I knew of any municipal courses they might help with a Foundation Grant.  I put him in touch with KJ and the DRS agreed to fund a Plan to start the process of trying to restore the course.  I prepared a Restorative Plan and presented it to the club members, board and city officials a few weeks ago.
We are hopeful that restoration of the course can be accomplished within the next two years.  The project, if approved would restore and reconstruct the Ross green complexes to their original dimensions, features and elevations along with greenside bunkers.  We are looking to restore about 87 bunkers of 114 that originally existed.  We will also reinstate bunker landforms in many original locations without sand and irregular mound hummocks shown on the Ross drawing.  The project would install a new irrigation system, enlarge tees, add length, add forward tees, reduce tree encroachment and re-grass the entire golf course.  Holes 15 and 17 will get significant drainage improvements as well.

I will try and post additional information and include some historic photos when I have more time.  Dunedin was a very good golf course in its early days, very solid strategic design with some great creativity shown on and around the greens, its sad to see what has happened to it over the years.

Thanks for the summary Kris. Sounds like a great plan to bring the course back to its roots.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 09:00:58 PM »
Toughest opening stretch Ross built.

That’s it. That’s the post.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 02:50:56 PM »
Played Dunedin on Tuesday afternoon. Such a nice layout but the conditioning was terrible. I hope if they get the money for the renovation the town agrees to maintain the course at the level it deserves. Nothing like putting to the cup thru patches of weeds. Starter at Innisbrook said they don’t even have a maintenance crew. They sub it out to a landscaping contractor.

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2022, 05:17:10 PM »
Starter at Innisbrook said they don’t even have a maintenance crew. They sub it out to a landscaping contractor.

I don’t know if I’ve ever heard that about any other course.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2022, 05:30:44 PM »
Starter at Innisbrook said they don’t even have a maintenance crew. They sub it out to a landscaping contractor.

I’ve never heard of anything like that before either.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2022, 06:13:10 AM »

I’ve never heard of anything like that before either.

Brightview Landscapes has more than a few golf courses in their portfolio. Often providing labor and some materials.

Some of those are featured on this site!

http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2023, 02:59:56 AM »
Toughest opening stretch Ross built.

That’s it. That’s the post.
Well said, period.

Played there a few weeks ago.

I mentioned this exact same sentiment to the pro after my first round there.

Course has great bones and great greens. Although I just learned of this place, I hope to play it again after hearing of the renovation this upcoming March.

Connor Lewis

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2023, 09:28:16 AM »
As a Floridian, I have been following this planned restoration for some time. I am extremely excited to see yet another classic course restored in a state that offers a lot of average to below average golf.

I am so happy to see a restoration at such a historically significant publicly accessible golf course.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2023, 09:43:00 AM »
Some nice Scottish connections (the name of the town included, obvs).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunedin,_Florida

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2023, 11:01:43 AM »
Also a big Canadian connection as Dunedin has been the spring training home of the Toronto Blue Jays since they were founded in 1977. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2023, 11:53:39 AM »
Dunedin is also the 2nd largest city on the south island of New Zealand and home to the University of Otago, the oldest uni in NZ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunedin

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2024, 12:26:08 PM »
As seen in " The Society of Golf Historians"
There are a lot of glamourous golf course restoration projects- but Donald Ross’ public Dunedin Golf Club & the work being done by Kris Spence needs to get some attention. Unreal!Once home to the PGA of America/PGA Tour & the first PGA Show, Dunedin is on the verge of an amazing resurgence!

https://www.tbnweekly.com/north_county/article_19b768d8-db09-11ee-b40c-7b586c28e437.html
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 12:29:53 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2024, 12:50:33 PM »
I played Dunedin in November 2023. Prior to start of the reno. Here's a link to photos:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/golfcoursepix/U498yZjPXD

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back