News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lov Goel

Head to head matchups
« on: January 03, 2022, 10:12:19 PM »
I started posting a few head-to-head matchups on my instagram and one follower asked me to post here to get feedback from the group.  Here's the most recent one - Cypress Point v. Old Course.  I had the Old winning 2UP, and full scorecard is available on the post as the last picture.  Thoughts?  Feelings? 

Also posted Chicago Golf Club v. Royal Melbourne West

Michael Chadwick

Re: Head to head matchups
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 10:29:05 PM »
I wholeheartedly endorse this--coming from someone who previously posted Friar's Head losing to Pacific Dunes (and Ballyneal).
Instagram: mj_c_golf

Michael Chadwick

Re: Head to head matchups
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 03:10:32 PM »
I started posting a few head-to-head matchups on my instagram and one follower asked me to post here to get feedback from the group.  Here's the most recent one - Cypress Point v. Old Course.  I had the Old winning 2UP, and full scorecard is available on the post as the last picture.  Thoughts?  Feelings? 

Also posted Chicago Golf Club v. Royal Melbourne West.

Lov, what's going through your mind when you're determining a winning hole? Is the decision comprised by your own preferences for what constitutes the better experience? Is it an attempt to be impartial and judge solely on architectural merit? Or some other rubric entirely?

I ask because I like head to heads quite a bit for my own edification. It helps me split hairs between, say, Somerset Hills and Swinley Forest in my personal course rankings, prioritizing architectural pedigree (inevitably using my own working definition of it), but by also taking into account my own enjoyment of the course as well.

Matches like these can be revealing not merely for what course you think is better, but what kind of golfer you yourself are. How courses can appeal so differently to your own style, temperament, ego, aesthetic preferences, all the while bound within the confines of a game. I gain better appreciation of courses while considering these matches, but in turn I come to know more about myself as a golfer as well.

Instagram: mj_c_golf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back