News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Architect or Designer ?
« on: January 03, 2022, 07:44:05 AM »
The Cape Wickham thread raises a couple of interesting questions for me and that is what is the difference between an architect and a designer, and what future has each in the development of golf courses ?

In terms of the respective roles it seems clear, to me at any rate, that an architect offers the full package in agreeing a brief with the client including the budget; producing a design to the brief and budget and in doing so taking into consideration the amount of muck shifting involved, drainage, irrigation, agronomy issues etc (see any number of posts by Jeff B). Basically the nuts and bolts of any build. I’d also expect the architect to advise the client on the build process and the different ways of procuring the development, and where required instruct the contractor through the project. That’s very much a generalisation and I’m sure some of the practising architects on here would be able to articulate the role much more clearly but I don’t think I’m miles away.

Now in terms of what a designer does, I’m a good bit less clear. Presumably their role is to do all the touchy feely stuff we love to talk about on here such as the basic routing, hole strategy, design of features etc. ? However do they get involved in the nuts and bolts stuff as I described above and if not who keeps them right on budget implications for any great ideas they have, or even to advise whether what they propose is a good idea in terms of being sustainable from a maintenance point of view for example ? Presumably the contractor has to take up the slack to some extent but should that be the role of the contractor ?

Going forward, are we like to see a lot more of these designer roles or are they likely to be restricted to the odd blogger/golf writer ?

Thoughts ?

Niall 

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Architect or Designer ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 07:47:52 AM »
No difference, Niall. Just words.

The only key thing to note is that in certain countries, you can only use the word “Architect” in your job title if you are a fully qualified professional in that field.

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 07:57:57 AM »
Ally

I wasn't meaning to focus on having any professional qualifications or being a member of a professional organisation as the likes of Tom D, Mike Young etc would quite rightly disagree with the need for that. I'm also not too hung up on what you call them but to me they offer two different services and what I was looking at was the work provided by each. For instance if you are designing a course to budget I suspect you'd need to have a pretty good handle on how much dirt you were proposing to shift and the cost of doing so. Does a guy who has no build experience know that and if not how do you allow for that lack of knowledge in the project ?

Niall

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 08:19:43 AM »
Niall,

I wasn’t talking about a golf course qualification. I was talking about an architectural qualification. There is really no such thing as a golf course architect in certain countries. And it remains the case that a qualified architect has to formally submit any plans for regulatory approval.

As to the difference between golf course architect and golf course designer, you cannot be an effective one without build experience, regardless of title. One of the key aspects of the job is trying to locally balance cut and fill to keep cost down - estimating cost and providing an efficient execution methodology is part of the design process (or at least should be). It is true that some architect / designers are better at understanding actual construction phasing than others, usually those who are taking charge of the build rather than contracting out to a construction firm. But those are demarcation points between design and construction, not between architect and designer.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 08:21:52 AM »

I’m thinking an architect would be more knowledgeable about the underbelly of the course. Drainage and development. Actually constructing the course.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 08:34:51 AM »
Anthony,

In Building Architecture, there does tend to be a difference between what a qualified “Architect” can do and what an “Architectural Designer” can do. But those same differences do not apply to golf courses (other than what I said above - in some countries a GCA cannot call himself an “Architect” without an Architectural degree and certification).

Golf Course Architecture / Design is not a regulated profession. Anyone can call themselves a golf course designer (or architect in countries where the above does not apply, including the US and UK). There is no difference.

Some Course Architects / Designers do more, some do less and rely on other consultants or contractors. It has nothing to do with the title.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 08:38:17 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 08:47:52 AM »
Would Design/Build qualify someone for the “Architect” designation where routing the holes and adding features qualify them as a “Designer”? It may come down to semantics for some but there is a difference if you are not involved in the build. Tom Doak’s company is design/build but in the case of The Tree Farm he routed the course but is not involved in the build process as far as I know so that could be an example for purposes of the discussion. I don’t purport to have any real knowledge of the process but I wonder what you guys think?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 08:50:54 AM »
Anthony,

In Building Architecture, there does tend to be a difference between what a qualified “Architect” can do and what an “Architectural Designer” can do. But those same differences do not apply to golf courses (other than what I said above - in some countries a GCA cannot call himself an “Architect” without an Architectural degree and certification).

Golf Course Architecture / Design is not a regulated profession. Anyone can call themselves a golf course designer (or architect in countries where the above does not apply, including the US and UK). There is no difference.

Some Course Architects / Designers do more, some do less and rely on other consultants or contractors. It has nothing to do with the title.

Nice explanation Ally.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 09:16:22 AM »
Would Design/Build qualify someone for the “Architect” designation where routing the holes and adding features qualify them as a “Designer”? It may come down to semantics for some but there is a difference if you are not involved in the build. Tom Doak’s company is design/build but in the case of The Tree Farm he routed the course but is not involved in the build process as far as I know so that could be an example for purposes of the discussion. I don’t purport to have any real knowledge of the process but I wonder what you guys think?

No Tim - the titles should not be differentiated in this way. You might have noticed that Mike is a fan of using the title Golf Course Builder rather than Architect or Designer incidentally.

That aside, Tom is not really a Design / Builder because that term is reserved for a type of contractual arrangement where the risk of the build cost sits with the Design / Builder.

Tom rarely (if ever? I don’t mean to answer for him without truly knowing) has taken that risk. He is a Design / Shaper where he is paid for services, not taking risk on quantities and materials (which are either taken by the Client or by another Construction Contractor).

By taking on co-ordination of Construction, it can often time reduce the amount of formal design work that has to be undertaken. It is a wrong perception that those designer / architects who follow the more traditional route (i.e. tender construction to another firm) are somehow doing less. They are actually undertaking more work in design terms. The question is whether that work is really value add. I would argue that it often isn’t and that better value add is achieved by spending more time in the field. Designing there rather than on formal documents.

Don’t confuse the terms Architect or Designer with roles in Construction.

Whether you are called an Architect or a Designer, at a minimum you will want to have certain sign-offs through the Construction phase.

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 09:31:35 AM »

No Tim - the titles should not be differentiated in this way. You might have noticed that Mike is a fan of using the title Golf Course Builder rather than Architect or Designer incidentally.

That aside, Tom is not really a Design / Builder because that term is reserved for a type of contractual arrangement where the risk of the build cost sits with the Design / Builder.

Tom rarely (if ever? I don’t mean to answer for him without truly knowing) has taken that risk. He is a Design / Shaper where he is paid for services, not taking risk on quantities and materials (which are either taken by the Client or by another Construction Contractor).

By taking on co-ordination of Construction, it can often time reduce the amount of formal design work that has to be undertaken. It is a wrong perception that those designer / architects who follow the more traditional route (i.e. tender construction to another firm) are somehow doing less. They are actually undertaking more work in design terms. The question is whether that work is really value add. I would argue that it often isn’t and that better value add is achieved by spending more time in the field. Designing there rather than on formal documents.

Whether you are called an Architect or a Designer, at a minimum you will want to have certain sign-offs through the Construction phase.

Ally-Thanks for the clarification as to Tom’s/Renaissance’s role in the process.

Mike_Young

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 09:36:10 AM »
I think y'all are thinking too much.  The biggest determining factor is what you tell the printer to put on the business card.
Golf is funny.  I had a good player who is an attorney and on the board at a club where I belong come to me and say " I heard you said the board has no clue".  I told him that was true, I had said that.  And he says , "well I want you to know I do have a clue"  And I told him that was an insult.  I said you practice law 60 hours a week and I would never tell you I had a clue about the law.  I practice this 60 hours a week or more.  If you want to know why I don't think you have a clue then let's talk.  Fact is no matter what one calls themselves most golfers will think you are clueless.

Study the Dunning Kruger affect and you will realize that most enthusiastic golfers who are placed on green committees or put in a position of power suffer from such and that is why I have never really tried to deal with boards or committees.  I don't know how people do it. 

"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2022, 09:45:25 AM »

Ally-Thanks for the clarification as to Tom’s/Renaissance’s role in the process.

I’m sure he will correct me to the nuances for the way he has been engaged on different projects. Contractual agreements differ. But Design / Build is a very specific execution methodology.

Mike_Young

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2022, 09:56:06 AM »
Ally,
I completely understand what you are saying in regards to design/build.  I think if you are using AIA documents then yes, there is a legal definition of design build but not sure it applies otherwise.  For instance, if a furniture maker designs a piece of furniture and then builds it, he performed a design/build IMHO. 
For myself, when I say I do design build I don't  lock into any quantities etc.  I basically tell the owner that each person will cost him this much per month and this equipment will be needed. I provide him with estimates I have calculated and provide him with rental equipment bids etc and continue with such thru out the job.  We have an irrigation plan and try to guide the owner in choosing a manufacturer.  Not all owners would be comfortable with such but it works for many.   
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2022, 10:23:37 AM »
This reminds me of one of my favourite stories. On the topic of architect vs designer, a well known personality in the business once said to me:

"Call me whatever you want, I'll build you a really good golf course!"  ;)
jeffmingay.com

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2022, 10:35:30 AM »
Mike,

It only goes to highlight that golf course terminology and execution is not really regulated in the same way that “normal”construction projects are.

You can get Design / Build contracts where the risk on quantities still sits with the Client. Risk on Unit Rates will almost always sit with the Design / Builder though.

Sounds like you are Designing, Construction Managing and then executing part of the scope on a time and material basis. Best of both worlds once you have the Client’s trust and he understands that the project success is driving you, not the profit. I think that is one element where golf courses differ. It annoys me that the EIGCA / ASGCA believe there to be a conflict of interest if the designer is also co-ordinating construction. That essentially says “we don’t trust our members to act on behalf of their client’s best interest”.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2022, 10:44:16 AM »
For most purposes, the terms are probably interchangeable.  I do recall Pete Dye advising us to call ourselves designers and not architects, and he and many others believe architect connotes a higher level of legal responsibility than designers, not unlike as stated in the OP. 

That said, I don't recall any court case where such a distinction ever made a difference, but most court cases are resolved privately, so I cannot say it never happened.  And, court cases are pretty rare.  Nor can I imagine someone not suing a person labeling themselves as a designer just because they profess to have less responsibility for the design.  Whatever would be done there would have to be laid out in the actual design or design-build agreement.

BTW, there is a "Design-Build Institute" complete with its own set of standard contracts.  If you read the standard contract between building and architect, it puts pretty much the same responsibilities on the architect as AIA or similar documents, even if in reality, the builder usually takes on some responsibilities traditionally in the realm of the designer/architect, like materials selection, permitting, etc., depending on the project, builder and architect.

Lastly, when speaking of Design-Build, there are really three types contractually - Owner led (with several separate sub-contractors) Builder led, with gca as a sub contractor, and Designer led, where the designer takes primary responsibility for arranging various sub-contractors for construction.  I think the most typical arrangement sees the gca or gcd trying to shed much of the responsibility.  For one thing, it is harder to get Errors and Omissions coverage if there is any involvement in construction, as the insurance industry is still basing its policies on the traditional design and bid method of project procurement.

As to Ally's last statement, and I can only speak for ASGCA, there isn't a presumption of a conflict of interest in design-build.  It's a construction procurement method that has been around in all fields for literally thousands of years.  The only unethical thing would be to hide any involvement in other companies from the Owner.  This might include secretly owning the contruction company but portraying it as fully independent, or some sort of arrangement with a supplier of sand or irrigation materials to get a secret payment/incentive to use their brands.  I would have to look back at our standard contracts (which need updating in any case) but I think many design contracts merely state that any savings in materials, etc., that accrue to the gca are passed on go to the Owner.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2022, 11:04:45 AM »
Jeff,

To your last point, it may be the same with the EIGCA (i.e. that the only stipulation is that all material has to pass-through to the Client at cost) but I’m not sure. I’ve a feeling that they go a step further, dealing with potential mark-up on construction services as well, hence effectively ruling it out.

EDIT: Looking at the current EIGCA Code of Conduct (it may have changed), they accept that the architect may carry out Design / Shape or Design & Construction Management. But they rule out working under one Design / Build Contract.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 11:58:31 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2022, 11:17:48 AM »
The Tech world is littered with all type of titles as well.  I've certainly seen some doozies in all the resumes that have floated across my desk.

At the end of the day, you have to try to determine what the person has actually done, whether it be thru interviews, due diligence, talking to co-workers, etc. to figure out their actual roles.  Guessing its not much different in the golf biz.

Niall C

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2022, 11:18:51 AM »
Well I have to say that this conversation didn't go the way I expected. I hadn't expected the professionals on here to get hung up on the label rather than discussing the work. Instead I anticipated a bit of a kick-back against the "designers" with no practical experience of construction or the maintenance issues that follow on from what is built. I also anticipated the client getting the best service as being part of the argument but I suppose it just shows what I know  ;D

Niall 

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2022, 11:43:08 AM »
Niall,

Perhaps I misread the point of the thread but the question seems to be all about the label, not the work?

To which the answer is “there is no difference” and to which the sub-answer is “and if there was, it would have very little to do with construction knowledge or lack thereof”

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2022, 11:44:49 AM »
Niall,

Then it appears you accidentally stumbled onto a bigger topic than you thought!

BTW, I understand that many here may think I have a perspective as a dinosaur, but who knows.  While many young designers/architects want in the biz, their perspective is obviously that it's not as complicated as some of us want it to sound.

I am not entirely sure the world including clients and the legal world is going to bend to their will.  Except in rare, very clean sites (and most renovations typically qualify) I don't see permitting, cost control, or any other issue really getting easier as time goes on.....it is sort of the way of the world, at least in govt agencies.  And, civil engineers actively try to keep it more complicated to justify their existence.  That could work both ways, perhaps taking all legal responsibility for drainage, reducing the liability to gca/gcd, but at the same time probably adding $1 Mil to golf drainage budgets.

Times keep changing, so time will tell.  But in some cases, it seems like my own generation of gca's, many of whom didn't see the need for errors and omissions insurance......until they got sued once.

I have no doubt that the "standard of care" usually mentioned in design or architectural contracts is less than that of building architecture.  It's one reason I picked golf design over building design, where a mere 1/4" plan mistake results in a very cold building on winter nights, whereas I have seen measuring misses in golf of several hundred yards that still worked out okay (but a few that have not!)  And, as near as I can tell, most of us, tend to argue that lesser standard of care if and when we get involved in a lawsuit, even as an expert witness.  I would go so far as to argue that ASGCA sort of leads the way in this.

I recall one case where the other side testified that the "typical standard of drainage design in golf architecture was to drain the course for a ten-year storm."  I can assure you, it is not, and most of us would fight any such suggestion that we do anything other than trying to eventually move water off the course.  The legal term is to provide for "nuisance drainage."  Or every day rain drainage, but not flood control, etc. 

Most of us don't even size pipes using drainage formulas (which is tricky for me to testify to since I do size pipes according to engineering formulas) Still, there are some legalities golf courses need to follow and if you either increase drainage to property downstream, or block drainage from a property upstream, you will hear about it, so some training and expertise level is required.  Sure, after charging an owner 10% to design his golf course, you can inform them that they need to pay another 10% to a civil engineer to design drainage (and for certain legalities, they need a civil engineer anyway, such as flood storage, subdivision drainage, etc.) but us old timers liked to think that a professional golf course architect could competently provide a drainage plan for golf purposes that allowed the course to reopen in full in a reasonable amount of time.

But again, there are many that would argue that all of that is outside the purview of a golf course architect.  I used to laugh that our standard contracts spend a few pages telling the owner what we would do for them, but over time, there were 3X the number of pages telling them what we wouldn't do for them, which required outside experts (irrigation, USGA greens mix, drainage perhaps, tree health, environmental permitting, and so on.)  No doubt the world got more complicated.  IMHO,  some young architects are unreasonably counting on everyone else coming back to their way of thinking that it's really just playing in the dirt.

Going back to the OP, I do think many see a difference in the term golf course architect and golf course designer.  At least, I knopw it is something I have seen debated among my peers, albeit, not to a definitive conclusion.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 11:48:02 AM by Jeff_Brauer »

Niall C

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2022, 12:12:11 PM »
Niall,

Perhaps I misread the point of the thread but the question seems to be all about the label, not the work?

To which the answer is “there is no difference” and to which the sub-answer is “and if there was, it would have very little to do with construction knowledge or lack thereof”

Ally

If you like I was using the label to signify the difference between a Darius Oliver who it would appear (prior to Cape Wickham) has no training or experience in design/construction beyond commenting on it, and a Mike DeVries who I presume does have hands on experience and is more than capable in providing the service I attributed to an architect.

If you want to call both sub-sets golf course architects then fine, and if you want to call them both golf course designers then also fine but are you really saying there is no difference between the two ?

Niall

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2022, 12:30:44 PM »
Niall,

From what I have read (and that is only what I read here) my thought was that Darius would most likely be a design consultant, at least from the perspective of Mike D and most of us who do it full time for a living.  I base that on working with numerous pros, who at many times have suggested changes similar to what Darius did on THAT project, and who are more comfortable with the title of consultant.

It's an interesting question we struggle with.  Is a golf course architect someone who has designed several courses and has an ever improving track record, or is it someone who got paid something for some undefined service just once somewhere?  Or, 2-3 times to prove a pattern?

Niall C

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2022, 12:33:08 PM »
Jeff

Yes the world is becoming more complicated and you see that in every walk of life. Where one job description covered a whole range of work you now require multiple specialists to cover the same scope of work. So when you say a modern gca might get a specialist agronomist, drainage engineer or irrigation specialist in to provide the expert advice I'm not surprised, however I'd have thought the gca should have a good grounding at least on those areas so that they can allow for them in the initial design and costings ?

When all is said and done, building a golf course is an engineering project so surely to God someone should know what they are doing !

Niall

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2022, 12:35:43 PM »
Niall,

Ally

If you like I was using the label to signify the difference between a Darius Oliver who it would appear (prior to Cape Wickham) has no training or experience in design/construction beyond commenting on it, and a Mike DeVries who I presume does have hands on experience and is more than capable in providing the service I attributed to an architect.

If you want to call both sub-sets golf course architects then fine, and if you want to call them both golf course designers then also fine but are you really saying there is no difference between the two ?

Niall

Yes that is what I’m saying.

Jeff mentions above that he and his peers have debated differences in the past. And I have done the same (trying to relate in to Building projects).

But in the end, I came to the conclusion that the word “Architect” in golf is used as a sales pitch to give a perception of some higher meaning. The only reason not to use it is if - as Jeff states - there could be more liability attached to the title if things go south.

All that said, I too was intrigued with why Cape Wickham designated Mike DeVries an Architect and Darius Oliver a Designer. I would have expected to either see “Co-Designers” or one as named Designer / Architect with the other as Design Consultant.

EDIT - Crossed posts with Jeff who says some of above.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back