News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Epic Golf
« on: December 30, 2021, 01:48:50 PM »
So has anyone heard of this Epic Golf Company?  Supposedly they help you get on private courses and they have been trying to get me to join.  The guy said it is a 10k initiation fee then about 14k a year.  When I asked him what courses they are affiliated with, he gave me two public courses Diamante and Whistling Straits.  He said I can't really tell you other private courses because of a NDA. Sounds like a scam.  Is anyone part of this?

John Kavanaugh

Re: Epic Golf
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 02:54:59 PM »
It's a choice between friends and acquaintances. If I read you right you are a middle school history teacher. Any club where you should choose to want to play will find a place for a man with such a noble profession. If you really want to spend that kind of money join one of the great clubs in the country as a national member. Then use a site like 10,000 green weenies to play with like minded folks. I believe that hoodwink is free.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 02:56:33 PM by John Kavanaugh »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 03:25:45 PM »
Some avid and well-healed golfers might read all this and think to themselves “But I’m already pretty connected now” which may be true. But looking forward, it’s hard to deny what "Epic Golf Club is likely to become in the months and years ahead and based on current member demand alone, I am quite certain most of these naysayers will regret not joining early on when they had the chance. If you don’t believe me, just ask Augusta National what their waiting list currently looks like. Sometimes timing is everything in life and if you dream of playing golf at the top courses in the world, this might be your time."

Maybe it's because I'm an old spam riddled troll but when someone mentions Augusta National in a sales pitch about where I will be able to play I stop listening.

https://epicgolfclub.com/golf-the-worlds-greatest-courses-with-epic-golf-club/

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 03:45:35 PM »

Maybe it's because I'm an old spam riddled troll but when someone mentions Augusta National in a sales pitch about where I will be able to play I stop listening.

https://epicgolfclub.com/golf-the-worlds-greatest-courses-with-epic-golf-club/

Agree.

Wow throwing out Augusta in marketing is desperate.  Who knows if they will even be around in 5 years as most desirable clubs are severely limiting their own guest play, let alone unaccompanied via these platforms.

"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Rick Sides

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 03:47:42 PM »
Sounds like a late night infomercial!  Like am I paying you 25k for the first year to get me onto Whistling Straights when I can book it on-line in a few minutes???

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 04:24:31 PM »
Putting aside the $10K initiation fee what do you receive for the $14K a year in dues? It sounds like you pay an unaccompanied fee to play all the private courses and a guest fee if you play with a member. $1166 a month for that or are there included rounds?

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 04:39:22 PM »
Are you sure we're not being trolled by a clever parody...?

« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 09:08:39 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rick Sides

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 04:46:33 PM »
Reads like an odd golf-ponzi scheme. ::)

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 05:22:02 PM »
Reads like an odd golf-ponzi scheme. ::)

Nice work if you can get it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 09:07:32 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David Kelly

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 05:37:36 PM »
For a $10K initiation fee and $14K a year I'd like you to join my luxury car club.  As a member you get to drive a different luxury car each month throughout the year.  I can tell you that I am affiliated with Kia and Nissan but the rest I can't mention because of NDAs.  DM me if you are interested.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 06:06:54 PM by David Kelly »
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 05:42:23 PM »
It all sounds legit.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 05:59:34 PM »
Somewhere, in a backroom at the head office, in a major midwest city, on a summer's day so hot that grown men are walking up to cops on the corner, begging them to shoot, a sharply dressed man in his forties whose watch cost more than my car is revving up the sales force, and teaching them how to, in his words, 'sell dirt to deadbeats':

A-B-C. A-always, B-be, C-closing. Always be closing! Always be closing!! A-I-D-A. Attention, interest, decision, action. Attention -- do I have your attention? Interest -- are you interested? I know you are because it's f--k or walk. You close or you hit the bricks! Decision -- have you made your decision for Christ?!! And action. A-I-D-A; get out there!! You got the prospects comin'in; you think they came in to get out of the rain? Guy doesn't walk on the lot unless he wants to buy. Sitting out there waiting to give you their money! Are you gonna take it? Are you man enough to take it?

« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 06:01:48 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2021, 06:43:29 PM »

The groups like this that work well are usually silent and almost invisible. Not looking for publicity. And would never use the word Epic to describe themselves.

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2021, 11:51:26 AM »
Unaccompanied play has taken a huge hit during Covid 19. I would be interested to know the marketing angle that addresses the issue.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 11:53:34 AM by Tim Martin »

Mike_Young

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2021, 12:00:41 PM »
Spend about an hour on their website and then determine....interesting...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Eric Smith

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2021, 12:10:03 PM »
It's as if someone took those hilarious Redan - Biarritz Club ads in McKellar Magazine and made it into a reality. :D

Tim Martin

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2021, 12:18:52 PM »
It's as if someone took those hilarious Redan - Biarritz Club ads in McKellar Magazine and made it into a reality. :D

https://youtu.be/aL6mTMShVyk

Mike Hendren

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2021, 12:42:25 PM »
Rick, I would think interval ownership (i.e., time shares) of the practice putting green would be more your speed.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Brian Marion

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2021, 01:08:02 PM »
So has anyone heard of this Epic Golf Company?  Supposedly they help you get on private courses and they have been trying to get me to join.  The guy said it is a 10k initiation fee then about 14k a year.  When I asked him what courses they are affiliated with, he gave me two public courses Diamante and Whistling Straits.  He said I can't really tell you other private courses because of a NDA. Sounds like a scam.  Is anyone part of this?

I think this used to be called a “Bag Tag Bill”

Collect as many quest tags as possible from leading, hard to get on clubs and display proudly.

Same but now you’re paying someone else a huge fee for access.

Airbnb my membership and dues………

Joe Hancock

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2021, 02:51:12 PM »
Rick, I would think interval ownership (i.e., time shares) of the practice putting green would be more your speed.

Bogey

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Rick Sides

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2021, 02:58:38 PM »
Michael,,, that is brilliant humor mate !

Steve Lapper

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2021, 03:11:06 PM »
Unaccompanied play has taken a huge hit during Covid 19. I would be interested to know the marketing angle that addresses the issue.

Not always true. Yes, some of the more exclusive clubs have, at different times over the pandemic, limited or eliminated unaccompanied play, but other clubs (many of them still very good or very exclusive) have continued, or even expand it. For example, many better-known names in Southern Florida have diminished or eliminating availability (mostly because member play has increased rather substantially), yet up here in the Met section many clubs continue to allow t.

A perfect example would be the Northeast's "Turnpike Series." It was created by a well-known club professional that opened up some of the finest clubs from Connecticut and Long Island down to Philadelphia to unaccompanied play (mostly on Mondays or Tuesdays). It's been a near unanimous win for the participating clubs and what was started to help offset the loss of outing revenue has turned into a recurring and sustainable success.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Greg Hohman

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2022, 11:26:53 AM »
Somewhere, in a backroom at the head office, in a major midwest city, on a summer's day so hot that grown men are walking up to cops on the corner, begging them to shoot, a sharply dressed man in his forties whose watch cost more than my car is revving up the sales force, and teaching them how to, in his words, 'sell dirt to deadbeats':

A-B-C. A-always, B-be, C-closing. Always be closing! Always be closing!! A-I-D-A. Attention, interest, decision, action. Attention -- do I have your attention? Interest -- are you interested? I know you are because it's f--k or walk. You close or you hit the bricks! Decision -- have you made your decision for Christ?!! And action. A-I-D-A; get out there!! You got the prospects comin'in; you think they came in to get out of the rain? Guy doesn't walk on the lot unless he wants to buy. Sitting out there waiting to give you their money! Are you gonna take it? Are you man enough to take it?

Peter, Glengarry Glen Ross or PP in the manner of Mamet?

newmonumentsgc.com

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2022, 12:20:09 PM »
Ha! It's indeed from Glengarry (from the film, as the Baldwin character isn't in the stage play). But there was a time when, having studied Mamet so closely and for so long, I could mimic him for pages on end pretty well!
Happy new year, Greg! All the best

Rick Sides

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2022, 01:26:27 PM »
Although I emphatically told them no, they are still trying to contact me New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day … this is some wolf on Wall Street stuff lol

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back