News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Re: Woodcrest NJ sold
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 08:04:50 AM »
Curious if they will bring in Flynn expert to restore it

archie_struthers

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 08:25:45 AM »
 8)

Grew up here. Started caddying at 11 with all  my older friends. Great memories

Woodcrest was high end Jewish thru the 60's and 70's . Generational die off of golfers seemed to take the energy away. An immense new clubhouse sealed that deal as the club fell into financial difficulty. Montgomery jumped in the breach but it was always a real estate deal for them, that's what they do.  They were pretty good stewards given they aren't golf guys. 
\

Good luck to the new owners.

Great little piece of property, lots of fall throughout and a few legitimate elevation changes. Tavistock , Woodcrest and Pine Valley (about ten miles away on either side) all have some elevation changes , very unusual for South Jersey.  Woodcrest needs to lose a lot of trees (not all  ;D )  particularly on what is now the front nine. Course conditions are and have been pristine other than overgrown. Lucas a really talented agronomist.

When I was a kid the nines were reversed and it was much better. Front nine then was a little tougher but bigger, with a little room to spray it around and survive. The back nine then always played easier , but required some good course management and you had to hit it straight. Now the first tee shot is incredibly difficult and the last hole is way too hard for the average golfer. We've talked of this before but I love the place so much (memories you know ) that I would love to see them make some simple changes that would help pace of play and member enjoyment improve immediately.

Some great stories abound about the place. Back in the 70's and early eighties the the member ship boasted some of the great characters in the area as members. The place was a hoot!  Let's hope it returns to it's former glory...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 07:37:17 PM by archie_struthers »

MCirba

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 08:26:55 AM »
Rick,

This sounds like really good news for Woodcrest, thanks for sharing.    Hopefully, an aggressive tree management program will be part of their ongoing efforts.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Rick Sides

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 08:34:59 AM »
Lucas is a great superintendent . Hopefully they bring in Ron Forse to do some work

Rick Sides

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 08:36:17 AM »
I would also love to see a thriving caddy program

Chris Mavros

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 09:26:50 AM »
They have already started tree clearing and other work on some of the holes.  The tree line at the Thirteenth on the left off the tee is already clear, replaced with larger bunkering on that hillside leading down to the creek.  It looks great.  Likewise, the tree line at the Tenth on the left is also being cleared (or just was earlier this month).  More work is being scheduled as well.   

« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 10:28:41 AM by Chris Mavros »

Rick Sides

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 10:08:03 AM »
Chris that’s exciting . I hope to play it again soon

MCirba

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 11:44:29 AM »
They have already started tree clearing and other work on some of the holes.  The tree line at the Thirteenth on the left off the tee is already clear, replaced with larger bunkering on that hillside leading down to the creek.  It looks great.  Likewise, the tree line at the Tenth on the left is also being cleared (or just was earlier this month).  More work is being scheduled as well.   
Hallelujah!   Thanks for the update, Chris!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

archie_struthers

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 07:41:13 PM »
 8)

When there a couple months ago they were taking out trees in some spots and it looked really good on 11 and 12.

They ought to take that off-centerline bunker on #9 out , wouldn't take but a day. it's no good!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back