News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Hidden Valley Lake GC, near Middletown, CA
« on: December 28, 2021, 02:38:39 PM »
While trying to find the location of the under-construction Brambles course on a map of Lake County, CA this morning, I noticed the Hidden Valley Lake course located 6-8 miles east of Middletown and not all that far away from the Brambles course. I had never heard of the course, designed by the younger William Bell, before and had no idea it was there.

Has anyone ever played it?

https://www.golfhvl.com/

Steve Salmen

Re: Hidden Valley Lake GC, near Middletown, CA
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 08:19:36 PM »
Hi David,

I've played HV probably 6-8 times. It's not bad. The front is pretty flat and the back has some crazy elevation changes. Probably worth driving 90 minutes to see if you do t have a lot of options, not much more.

Steve

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 09:53:16 PM »
Steve -

Thanks. In the 50 years I have lived here I don't think I have ever heard or read a single word about the Hidden Valley Lake course.

I am hoping to drive up that way in the next month or two to take a look at the Brambles course under construction. Now that I know HVL is there, I will definitely swing by to take a look.

DT 

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 11:18:42 PM »
I played it a bunch back in the early 80's.  One time, I was paired in a tournament with Scott McCarron.  That was fun.

I only really remember one extremely elevated tee shot.  Maybe more elevated than #3 at Clear Creek Tahoe.  But that was a long time ago, and maybe my recollection is wrong.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 10:48:19 AM »
Kevin -

You remember correctly about the elevated tee shot. From the course's website:

Fabulous, head-turning vistas on this par-72, 6708-yard jewel include special touches like the signature 15th hole’s 250-foot drop to the fairway below.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 07:41:23 PM »
Kevin -

Fabulous, head-turning vistas on this par-72, 6708-yard jewel include special touches like the signature 15th hole’s 250-foot drop to the fairway below.

A friend played out there many years ago and said that so many extra drives were hit off the 15th tee that they had to put in an artificial turf tee on that hole because of the wear and tear. Don't know if that is still the case.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 09:17:45 PM »
Kevin -

Coincidentally, there's a Southern California course (in Norco) called Hidden Valley that also features a huge drop from the signature 15th tee. Weird.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 10:08:45 PM »
Kevin -

I was going to call b.s. on this number since it would be impossible for a 6-foot-tall human to see anything 250 feet below the tee unless he was within 10-15 feet of the front of the tee.

But, I looked on Google Earth, and the drop from tee to fairway is slightly over 200 feet.  I don't know why they felt the need to exaggerate; that's as much drop as I have heard of anywhere in golf, other than that stupid 19th hole on some course in South Africa where you need to take a helicopter to the tee.

From the looks of the hole at Hidden Valley Ranch, you're about 80% likely to hit that drive into the trees, or possibly into a house on the far side of the fairway.

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 10:14:47 AM »
Kevin -

From the looks of the hole at Hidden Valley Ranch, you're about 80% likely to hit that drive into the trees, or possibly into a house on the far side of the fairway.

Which is pretty much how I feel on every elevated tee shot......
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 11:17:11 AM »
With a tee shot like that, I instantly think Ted Robinson.  While Francis Bell did one or two elevated tee shots, the worst being Industry Hills-Ike #2 it was Ted who capitalized on that in his many lethargic designs…

« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 11:32:35 AM by Tommy Naccarato »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 11:36:14 AM »
Pulled this up on Google Earth as well and I got slightly under a 200 foot drop.  Either way, looks like an abysmal hole and I would hate to live in one of those houses on the other side of the fairway...

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 12:12:44 PM »
Video flyover of the 15th hole:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnWkhWELmWc

Jordan Standefer

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2021, 12:54:02 PM »
Video flyover of the 15th hole:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnWkhWELmWc
What a death trap!

Tommy, it reminds me of 11 at Marine Memorial (minus the homes).

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2021, 01:39:12 PM »
Ha...now my memory is stirred a bit.  Back in the day, we always aimed our tee shots toward the green, which was blind from the tee.  Of course back then, we were using Orlimar or similar persimmon drivers and balata balls.  I can't imagine how dangerous it is for that house at the opposite side of the fairway with today's equipment!

Can someone measure the vertical drop on #3 at Clear Creek Tahoe?

Jeff Schley

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2021, 03:37:35 PM »
With a tee shot like that, I instantly think Ted Robinson.  While Francis Bell did one or two elevated tee shots, the worst being Industry Hills-Ike #2 it was Ted who capitalized on that in his many lethargic designs…

Bingo
I think he did Glen Ivy out in Corona as well which hole 18 is around a 200 door drop as well.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Jeff Schley

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2021, 03:41:44 PM »
Also not sure if Robinson or Hills did The Journey at Pechanga in Temecula which has another huge drop.  Forget the hole number for this par 4.  Great view no doubt.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2021, 04:23:07 PM »
Ha...now my memory is stirred a bit.  Back in the day, we always aimed our tee shots toward the green, which was blind from the tee.  Of course back then, we were using Orlimar or similar persimmon drivers and balata balls.  I can't imagine how dangerous it is for that house at the opposite side of the fairway with today's equipment!

Kevin,

I took a few measurements on Google Earth

From the back tee it looks to be an approx. 150 foot drop to the primary landing area.
From the next tee up, where I presume most would play from, its about 120 feet.

Then from there its another 30-35 feet down to the green

Although given the entire hole is over a mile high, maybe everyone just lets it fly from the tips! ;D

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2021, 06:23:50 PM »
Some, if not most of the Ted Robinson drop shot drive holes are downright horrible architecture!  At least I’m not a fan of it!

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2021, 11:07:33 AM »

Kevin,

I took a few measurements on Google Earth

From the back tee it looks to be an approx. 150 foot drop to the primary landing area.
From the next tee up, where I presume most would play from, its about 120 feet.

Then from there its another 30-35 feet down to the green

Although given the entire hole is over a mile high, maybe everyone just lets it fly from the tips! ;D

Thanks, Kalen.  That really puts the Hidden Valley tee shot, at 200 feet, in perspective! 

The Clear Creek elevated shot is really fun to play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back