News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

El Caballero Country Club in Tarzana, California, recently celebrated its official relaunch following a three-year, $10 million renovation to modernize and increase the environmental sustainability and playability of its championship golf course.
The club’s par-71 golf course, which includes a history of hosting USGA, LPGA and charity events, underwent a comprehensive upgrade over the last three years. The course has been lengthened to 7,019 yards, with all turfgrass being replaced with a drought- and disease-tolerant hybrid Bermudagrass blend. Along with native landscaping, the new course design will save more than 35 million gallons of water per year, using 30 percent less water than in the past. Originally designed by Robert Trent Jones Sr., the course was redesigned by his son, Rees Jones. Work also included strategic tree removal, improved designs on all putting greens, and better positioned bunkers and other elements.
https://www.golfcourseindustry.com/article/el-caballero-country-club-turf-water-renovation/

El Caballero is known for originally setting a new national standard as a non-discriminatory country club upon its opening in 1957.

https://www.elcaballerocc.com/web/pages/story
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 11:17:34 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dan Grossman

Re: El Caballero (RTJ,'57) in Tarzana, CA reopens after 10M renovation
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 05:36:27 PM »
From the membership's perspective, I believe the renovation was successful.  The goal was to upgrade the turf to sustainable drought tolerant grass, expand the greens with additional pin-able locations that kept the "spirit" of the original greens and to add a little bit of length from the back tees.  Because of the turf replacement, significant tree removal was necessitated, although the course does remain generally tree-lined and close to the original design by RTJ, Sr from the early 60s.  The bunkers were rebuilt (and with lips lowered around the greens) to improve visibility with larger entrances in the front to allow for run-up shots. Unlike the redo at Hillcrest, the goal here was to retain and enhance the original design of the course. 

Continued plays will tell, but I think the course is likely slightly easier for the bogey golfer with it being a bit more difficult for the better golfer.  The new back tees at over 7,000 yds will be pretty challenging due to the par 71 and lack of long par 5s. 

I can post a few pics if anyone is interested.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 05:38:33 PM by Dan Grossman »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 06:22:06 PM »
@Dan

Let's see those pictures !

What new Bermuda grass was used?

Thanks!

Steve Shaffer
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Dan Grossman

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 06:43:20 PM »
Below is what I have been told.  (I am in no way a turf grass expert and wouldn't really be able to distinguish amongst these grasses)

Tees: Latitude 36 hybrid bermuda
Fairways: Santa Ana Hybrid bermuda
Rough: Bandera Hybrid bermuda

I'll post some pictures later tonight...

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 06:49:25 PM »
Thanks!  We have 3 courses here in the West Valley of Phoenix and sooner or later new grass will be needed to reduce water bills.

Dan Grossman

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 12:47:37 PM »
Here are a few photos.  I tend to play early morning weekends, so it has been a bit cold / foggy (especially early in the round)  Most of the pics were taken over the past 4 - 5 weeks.

First Tee (just right of the tee)

From 2nd tee, looking North with 8 green in foreground and hole 9 in the center

#4 tee

#6 tee

#7 tee

#7 green (from behind looking back down the fairway)

#8 tee

#10 Tee (this one from October prior to opening)

#12 (from left side of fairway on approach)

#12 (from just right of the green)

#14 New Back Tee (old tee is left side of picture where person is standing)

« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 12:55:21 PM by Dan Grossman »

Dan Grossman

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2021, 12:57:58 PM »
And just for posterity, a few before / afters.  Allows you to see the extent of the tree removal.

#6 (before / after)

Dan Grossman

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2021, 01:00:52 PM »
#7 (before / after)

#10 (before / after)

Mark Kiely

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2021, 02:08:37 PM »
Looks great! Thanks for sharing these pics.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Dan Grossman

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2021, 12:09:10 AM »
Looks great! Thanks for sharing these pics.

Thanks Mark.  Lots to like about the course, although it certainly isn't the kind of course that will get positive vibes from the treehouse due to the water hazards by the greens (which i generally dislike) and RTJ and Rees pedigree.  That said, I find it to be a fun and challenging round, the greens have a ton of interest and it is very very walkable.  I walk and carry every round, which i absolutely love.

Variety is the spice of life, in my opinion.  If we didn't have Dick Wilson and RTJ, we might not appreciate the Golden Age guys as much.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2021, 01:29:20 PM »
I'm not bashing Rees but what was the thinking about hiring him since his health is in decline and he lives across the country in New Jersey?

With that said, who was the design associate?

Dan Grossman

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2021, 02:32:43 PM »
Rees spent a lot of time at the course as a younger man when his dad was working on the original design in the 1960s, so the project was personally important to him.  Given his personal connection to the course and the original designer, he seemed an appropriate choice.  Steve Weisser was the design associate, but Rees spent a significant amount of time on property during the construction process.  Rees was significantly involved and always seemed to be in decent health and good spirit. 

Jeff Schley

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2021, 07:41:41 AM »
Rees spent a lot of time at the course as a younger man when his dad was working on the original design in the 1960s, so the project was personally important to him.  Given his personal connection to the course and the original designer, he seemed an appropriate choice.  Steve Weisser was the design associate, but Rees spent a significant amount of time on property during the construction process.  Rees was significantly involved and always seemed to be in decent health and good spirit.
Dan great insights only a proud member can give and kudos for the photos.

I played there my only time in 2001 and thought it a mature course back then. Did all the water hazards remain in this recent renovation? Also are there any tee shots where trees inhibit working the ball either way now?  Thanks
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Dan Grossman

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2021, 08:56:05 PM »
The water hazards remained, as they were part of the original design. (Although, not my favorite part of the design). The green on #5 was moved back and left to bring the existing pond a bit more in play. The hazards on #9, #10 and #17 remained as is, although the front openings to the green were widened to allow for a ground option. They also reconfigured the bunkers and green slopes on #10 and #17 to allow for a bunker shot to avoid finding the pond.

The tree removal done to allow for healthy turf eliminated trees around the tees that would catch a tee shot. Certain holes still call for a particular shot shape (2 - draw, 11 - fade, 14 - fade, 15 draw), but it’s not dictated by trees around the tees.

Pat Burke

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2021, 03:38:24 PM »
Played in a college tournament there a hundred years ago

Remember it being tough back then

But the par three tenth is the only hole I recognize.
Not a criticism other than my age ;D

Mark Kiely

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2024, 08:05:08 PM »
The course is on TV right now; US Girls' Junior on Golf Channel.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back