News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Marshall

Greenville South Carolina
« on: November 07, 2021, 01:56:25 PM »
I have a friend going to Greenville in December. Looking for a course recommendation in that area.

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Scott Warren

Re: Greenville South Carolina
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 02:55:42 PM »
I am not “use the search function” guy, but…

If you do use the search function, click on the gear icon to get into advanced search and search Greenville by topic subjects, you will find a few threads with recommendations.

From memory the consensus answer is Musgrove Mill.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 04:02:47 PM »
I've been posting here for over 8 years and never knew about the gear symbol and advanced search capabilities. The only golf quote that seems appropriate for the way I feel is the classic "what a stupid I am"  ???

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 04:13:23 PM »
Musgrove Mill is a solid golf course, but I don't think it's very easy to access. I'm pretty sure McConnell Golf doesn't do any reciprocals of any kind so having a pro call may not get you anywhere.

It's also in the middle of nowhere and likely a 45+ minute drive depending on where you are in Greenville.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 04:16:52 PM »
What about the Furman course?

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 08:45:48 PM »
Chanticleer
Cliffs-Mountain Park
3’s

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 10:58:05 PM »
I live in Greenville. What type of course is your friend looking to play?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Rob Marshall

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 08:19:37 AM »
I live in Greenville. What type of course is your friend looking to play?

He's a 3. He's a member at a private club so he can have his pro call another private. He doesn't care if the course is private or public. Nice condition and challenging is what he would be looking for.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 08:57:56 AM »
I’d suggest Cliffs at Mountain Park or one of the Greenville Country Club courses: Chanticleer is the better known, but I prefer the Riverside course.

Another fun option would be the Walker Course at Clemson University. The football crowds will be gone in Dec and the course is terrific with beautiful views of Lake Hartwell.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Rob Marshall

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 09:04:44 AM »
Thanks Michael. I'll pass that on.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 09:32:37 AM »
Another fun option would be the Walker Course at Clemson University. The football crowds will be gone in Dec and the course is terrific with beautiful views of Lake Hartwell.
At 5-3, the football fans are long gone.The Walker Course is a great place to play. A little bit of a drive from Greenville but the area is much more attractive (and cheaper) than playing and dining in "G-vegas."

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2021, 09:36:11 AM »
At 5-3 the stadium is slam full with 82,000. Clemson fans don’t abandon their team like other fair-weather crowds. Tigers still have a chance for a 10 win season. Fingers crossed!

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2021, 10:34:12 AM »
Clemson fans don’t abandon their team like other fair-weather crowds.

Outside of 1996-2005, right Michael? Ghost town.

Robert Kimball

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2021, 11:01:57 AM »
I agree with Michael on all those options.  But, as an alumni, I will put in my 2 cents for Furman University Golf Course. 

Kris Spence, who many on here are familiar with, did a renovation about 15 years ago.  It's a bit outside of G'Vegas but a lot of fun and very good test of golf. 

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2021, 11:15:45 AM »
I agree with Michael on all those options.  But, as an alumni, I will put in my 2 cents for Furman University Golf Course. 

Kris Spence, who many on here are familiar with, did a renovation about 15 years ago.  It's a bit outside of G'Vegas but a lot of fun and very good test of golf.
Robert - I play at Furman as a member. It is a wonderful course and a great walk ( which is very important to me). But, I would not consider it a destination course. It’s solid… but not snazzy enough for a one off visitor IMO.

And… and what’s with this G’Vegas stuff? Where does that come from. Greenville is a stylish place, not flashy or gaudy. I don’t get it.  ???

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2021, 03:35:28 PM »

Average home attendance, per the media guide, in '96 was 67, 232.
                                                                             in '05 was 78,232.  ;)
And, yes, I'd second the courses mentioned, GCC Chanticleer and Riverside, and the Cliffs MP.   

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2021, 07:47:37 PM »

Average home attendance, per the media guide, in '96 was 67, 232.
                                                                             in '05 was 78,232.  ;)
Who on earth wouldn't trust a media guide's claims?

Those numbers most likely reflect tickets sold and/or tailgaters.
Getting into the stadium during that time required nothing more than being upright.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2021, 08:17:25 PM »
michael,
how would you compare walker v. cobbs glen? i believe cobbs to be the hardest public in that area.

"G-vegas" has been used by students for many many years. An allusion to a place that is haughty, overrated, and utterly forgettable after trying to impress a first date.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2021, 10:33:43 PM »
I see you live in Myrtle Beach. That’s impressive. Well done.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2021, 05:55:55 AM »
Thank you Michael.
I was simply answering your question. I was curious about the term when I first heard it myself and that was told to me (almost verbatim) by a CU student.
Personally, I like the Upstate and think it's the most underrated area for public golf in which I've lived.

John Cowden

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2021, 07:13:27 PM »
Hello Michael,
I will also be in Greenville for the month of December to bond with our family’s newest arrival and, assuming your availability, would love to tee it up with you sometime before the New Year.  As for area courses, I don’t have your local knowledge but agree that GCC’s Riverside is more enjoyable than Chanticleer, and that Mountain Park is a very good walk and play.  I’ve thoroughly enjoyed Furman the two times I’ve played it.   I may have to make the drive to Clemson at some point to play the Walker Course, while outings to Pinehurst and Charleston are also in the planning stages.  As for the football side of this thread, I have two words for all here:  Go Ducks!
Cheers.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2021, 09:05:42 PM »
John - get in touch when your visit is near. Let’s plan an outing or two. Looking forward to seeing you!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back