News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

OT - Norman going to run competing tour
« on: October 29, 2021, 02:59:20 PM »
And so it begins........where it ends up and what professional golf looks like in a year or two who knows. They are competing for players so, I'm sure the PGA Tour will try and strong arm players into playing their events etc. Better for players as there is more money in the system if that is their prime motivation.
I had some insight a couple months ago, but surprised it came out this soon.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/32500931/golf-legend-greg-norman-set-run-competing-tour-hopes-begin-play-2022
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

John Kavanaugh

Re: OT - Norman going to run competing tour
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 03:03:05 PM »
Will they be playing the same courses or with the architecture of the courses on the new tour be more compelling?

Bernie Bell

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 03:22:53 PM »
Will they be playing the same courses or with the architecture of the courses on the new tour be more compelling?
Strictly as a matter of showmanship, if you were running the new "Dark Side Tour" wouldn't you want to play on Trump courses?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 03:53:54 PM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 03:55:05 PM »

In Asia and the Middle East?  Yeah, right.

Steve Lapper

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

MCirba

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 06:30:09 PM »
What's next, the Khashoggi Open sponsored by Stihl Chainsaws and the Saudi Royal Family?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 06:32:08 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 06:54:24 PM »
What's next, the Khashoggi Open sponsored by Stihl Chainsaws and the Saudi Royal Family?
If it also partnered with the same online gambling site/sports book that nbc has, I think the Open should be just fine.

Btw, re: gambling -- will gamblers get mad if their man loses after a weird bounce on a quirky and driveable Par 4? Will they one day be demanding from the tours that all courses be fair?

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 03:10:33 AM »
Can't be any worse.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 03:13:01 AM »
Btw, re: gambling -- will gamblers get mad if their man loses after a weird bounce on a quirky and driveable Par 4? Will they one day be demanding from the tours that all courses be fair?

American Gamblers?

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 03:23:15 PM »

In Asia and the Middle East?  Yeah, right.

Yas Links? South Cape Owners Club? Bluffs at Ho Tram? The odds of compelling architecture are relatively small given the presumed primary foci will be $ and $$, but there is a small chance of getting at least one or two interesting venues on their schedule.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tim Martin

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2021, 03:46:30 PM »
https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/10/29/greg-norman-saudi-golf-deal-pga-tour-eamon-lynch/

I'll go with Eamon's take on this.

The takeaway from the article is Norman doesn’t risk anything from a tour ban as he hasn’t played in an event for more than ten years. Additionally I think he would love to poke the PGA Tour in the eye for past slights whether imagined or real.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2021, 06:12:09 PM »
The Saudis have also made overtures to presumably a bunch of architects to sign up to build golf courses in Saudi Arabia. AFAIK the only two to sign up are Greg Norman and Jack Nicklaus.

I just didn’t respond, and glad I didn’t.  There seems to be a lot of work closer to home.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 06:17:59 PM »
I’m way too polite to Post what I really want to say here. Suffice it to say I think TD made the right decision.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tim Martin

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 07:10:18 PM »
I’m pretty sure if you were on the Titanic with Norman and there was only one seat left in the life boat that you better be a good swimmer.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2021, 07:41:20 PM »
I’m pretty sure if you were on the Titanic with Norman and there was only one seat left in the life boat that you better be a good swimmer.

There was a time when I was a Norman fan but that sailed long ago. He still has a chip on his shoulder about the world tour. I read an interesting article that he will be the one to challenge the tour ban because he has nothing to lose. He just try’s to register for a senior tour event and the the lawsuits start to fly.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2021, 08:34:37 PM »

Sharks don’t need lifeboats!

But sharks are the fate of the people who don’t get a lifeboat.

Tim Martin

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2021, 09:14:32 PM »

Sharks don’t need lifeboats!

But sharks are the fate of the people who don’t get a lifeboat.

Touché

Pat Burke

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2021, 11:14:32 PM »

He certainly has brought on this thinking with some of his actions, But for what it’s worth, my experiences with Greg were mostly different.  Not a ton of interaction, but he made a very nice effort to help me in a tough time in my playing career

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2021, 11:19:08 AM »
Greg Norman has had F U money for quite a while now and with a current net worth of $400+ million, guessing he doesn't give 2 shits what others in the industry think of him at this point.

As for the Tour, I'm not interested in it, but I don't have a problem with it either...doubt many of the top players will bite anyways with the tournaments being played so far away.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2021, 12:43:45 PM »
You know the best thing about democracy and capitalism - it allows everyone to take a chance to see if their idea will work out financially.

Norman is a smart businessman - I'm sure his bets are all hedged.  If this does work, it a shot across the bow of the PGA & European Tours to smarten things up a bit.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2021, 01:27:38 PM »
More people will be happy to see a new tour started than would miss the old one if it was gone. When swimming in shit the more watered down the better.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2021, 02:04:27 PM »
Greg Norman has had F U money for quite a while now and with a current net worth of $400+ million, guessing he doesn't give 2 shits what others in the industry think of him at this point.
He'd (maybe?) care if it affects whether players would join under his leadership or not.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2021, 02:23:10 PM »

...doubt many of the top players will bite anyways with the tournaments being played so far away.
LOL

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2021, 02:29:25 PM »
He'd (maybe?) care if it affects whether players would join under his leadership or not.

If they join that league, i'm pretty sure it won't be because Norman runs it.  Does anyone on the PGA tour play it because Jay is the commish? It would be about the money of course.

P.S.  Brian,  its one thing to play 1 or 2 events in the Middle East.  Its an entirely different thing to eschew the PGA Tour and tell your family you picking up and moving, or at least spending a significant amount of time over there. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back