News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

When Does Difficulty Become Irrelevant?
« on: September 13, 2021, 03:26:02 PM »
I recently re-joined a club and have started playing somewhat regularly with catastrophic results.  This leads me to wonder:  Setting aside forced carries, is there a handicap range at which course difficulty is irrelevant?   Could I hack it around Oakmont as well as I do my local club?   A triple is a triple is a triple.

(Triple) Bogey

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Joe Hancock

Re: When Does Difficulty Become Irrelevant?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 03:43:58 PM »
TBog,

As I age at the same rate as you, the one thing that I think will get more difficult, and eventually impossible, is deep bunkers, design dependent.

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 04:05:33 PM »
I would think quite the opposite. A truly difficult course would magnify mistakes exponentially.

Adam Lawrence

Re: When Does Difficulty Become Irrelevant? New
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 04:22:40 PM »
I recently re-joined a club and have started playing somewhat regularly with catastrophic results.  This leads me to wonder:  Setting aside forced carries, is there a handicap range at which course difficulty is irrelevant?   Could I hack it around Oakmont as well as I do my local club?   A triple is a triple is a triple.

(Triple) Bogey

I know that 'it depends' is a pathetic copout of an answer, but I'm afraid it really does. This is entirely dependent on the source of the difficulty and the nature of the player's game. Put a 54 handicapper woman who drives it 100 yards on a good day on a golf course with no forced carries and she'll get round OK, even if the greens are super-crazy. On a course with rough grass -- any rough grass -- in front of the tees, more than the odd water hazard and bunkers fronting greens, she's likely to walk in after a few holes. By contrast if the player has a reasonably high swing speed and no control whatsoever, he's going to need the course to be as wide as Wolf Point to avoid losing a dozen balls in a round.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 10:32:24 AM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 10:37:16 PM »

(Triple) Bogey

I know that 'it depends' is a pathetic copout of an answer, but I'm afraid it really does. This is entirely dependent on the source of the difficulty and the nature of the player's game. Put a 54 handicapper woman who drives it 100 yards on a good on a golf course with no forced carries and she'll get round OK. On a course with rough grass -- any rough grass -- in front of the tees, more than the odd water hazard and bunkers fronting greens and she's likely to walk in after a few holes. By contrast if the player has a reasonably high swing speed and no control whatsoever, he's going to need the course to be as wide as Wolf Point to avoid losing a dozen balls in a round.

Correct!

Bogey, for you personally, it only depends if you care whether some of those triples end with the ball in your pocket (or in a water hazard).  I have the yips these days, and if I played Oakmont I might never hole out on some of the greens there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back