News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

OT- Tin Cup turns 25
« on: August 18, 2021, 11:41:22 AM »

“Caddyshack” is widely considered the best golf movie of all time, but if you ask around, you’re likely to get some arguments that No. 2 on the list is “Tin Cup.”
“Tin Cup” checks in at No. 3 behind “The Greatest Game Ever Played” but the one thing “Tin Cup” does have going for it is that it is the highest box office-grossing golf movie ever.
The movie was filmed in the tiny town of Tubac, Arizona, as well as Kingwood, Texas.
Tubac Golf Resort has 27 holes- 18 by Red Lawrence and 9 by Ken Kavanaugh
https://www.tubacgolfresort.com/arizona-golf-course

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/lists/tin-cup-turns-25-interesting-facts-movie-kevin-costner/
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 11:44:47 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

John Kavanaugh

Re: OT- Tin Cup turns 25
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 01:23:15 PM »
When I visited Laz, of NLU fame, he was proud to point out Rene Russo’s Mercedes in his parking garage. If only I had known this fun fact about my brother at the time. Perhaps my life would have taken another turn.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 01:36:19 PM »
Golfer's Journal has a podcast with Gary McCord and he tells some phenomenal stories about making the movie.

I'd post the link but I'm too lazy. GTS.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Brad Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 02:27:12 PM »
A genuinely awful movie with a worse ending.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 02:49:58 PM »

That's the interesting thing with sports movies.  I've seen more bad reactions and eye rolls to CaddyShack from non-golfers than maybe any other "sports" movie.

Happy Gilmore on the other hand...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 03:31:31 PM »

That's the interesting thing with sports movies.  I've seen more bad reactions and eye rolls to CaddyShack from non-golfers than maybe any other "sports" movie.

Tiger Woods preference aside, Caddyshack was stupid nonsense.
JMHO
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 03:36:11 PM »

[size=78%]Tiger Woods preference aside, Caddyshack was stupid nonsense. [/size]
JMHO

Exactly! Great movie!
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Ira Fishman

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 04:38:50 PM »
Exactly. All sports movies are over the top one way or the other. That is what makes them so great—pure emotion whether pathos or comedy.

Follow the Sun
Pride of the Yankees
Bull Durham
For the Love of the Game
Field of Dreams
Tin Cup
Remember the Titans
North Dallas Forty
Caddy Shack
The Rookie
Rudy
Major League
Brian’s Song
The Natural
Million Dollar Arm
Trouble with the Curve
Any Given Sunday

I could go on. There maybe are three exceptions that are in fact well balanced movies: The Hustler, Bad News Bears, and Raging Bull.

Tin Cup is a classic.

Ira

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 05:01:12 PM »
Both Caddie Shack and Tin Cup were dreadful. The time I spent watching them was wasted.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bill Seitz

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 05:43:51 PM »
The movie was fine for what it was, but the ending was stupid, and not because of why you might think.  I don't mind the story so much.  That's just dumb movie drama.  But you lose me when you show a guy hit a 3-wood that ends up in the middle of the green, at a dead stop, then proceeds to roll back into the water like it was coming down a mountain.  I can only imagine 2/3 of the field saw their perfect approaches end up in that pond on Sunday.  You could tell the same dumb story without completely bastardizing the laws of physics. 

Ira, I'd add Miracle to your list, and I don't actually think it was that over the top, and was not only "based on real events", but largely true.  It actually tracks pretty closely with the "Do You Believe in Miracles" documentary made by HBO that preceded it.  Though they left out the best part, which was the motivational speech Herb Brooks' gave before the third period of the Finland game which the U.S. still needed to win if they were going to win the gold medal (and potentially any medal).  Trailing 2-1 through two periods, Brooks walked into the locker room, looked at his players and said "If you lose this game, you'll take it to your fucking grave."  Then he walked toward the exit, turned back to the team and said "your fucking grave".  Then they scored three times in the third period to win the gold.

JMEvensky

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 07:08:33 PM »

I could go on. There maybe are three exceptions that are in fact well balanced movies: The Hustler, Bad News Bears, and Raging Bull.

Nice 3-some. I'll add Chariots Of Fire--plus you get the first and last scenes as a golf kicker.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2021, 07:19:09 PM »
Rounders beats The Hustler hands down.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2021, 07:35:57 PM »
If we are going down that route, the Kid has got the Jack.

Jon Sweet

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2021, 07:48:49 PM »
Rounders beats The Hustler hands down.
YIKES
Are we talking Tom Cruise or the one with the fat dude?
I get them confused.

Jon Sweet

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2021, 07:59:20 PM »

Tiger Woods preference aside, Caddyshack was stupid nonsense.
JMHO
Enjoy caddyshack but prefer Tin Cup. Rene Russo does it for me. That british chick with the short hair cut was the least believable love interest for Danny possibly ever.  Not sure how he pulled Lacy Underhill after that.  Has to be the best worst to first story of all time. Plus her fake accent was awful.
I did like the kid picking his boogers.
That was funny and the Asian taking all the pictures.
Classic.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2021, 08:12:58 PM »
Kevin Costner has some range as an actor. Compare Tin Cup to No Way Out or The Untouchables. He is great in all three.

Bill Murray has some range as well. From Caddyshack to Rushmore to Lost in Translation is quite a breadth of talent, methinks.

Comparing Tin Cup to Caddyshack is a fool’s errand however, because the former had a real budget, a more experienced crew and it has Rene Russo as the female lead. Even the Murray brothers would agree that Russo is better than the actresses in Caddyshack.

Then again, IMDB has Caddyshack rated a full point higher than Tin Cup. Its cast was surely higher too…😅
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 08:16:39 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2021, 08:43:14 PM »
Reading this thread reminded me that I had never watched Brian's song. Just finished and there are two things the movie could do without...

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2021, 08:53:14 PM »
Ira - I'd keep The Hustler and Raging Bull from your list, and add 'Bang the Drum Slowly'.

Those films are what I imagine playing The Old Course in reverse would be like, from a single set of tees: no 'signs' or 'signifiers' -- you engage with them all on your own, alone, uniquely, and in your own subjective way.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2021, 09:01:29 PM »
Greatest sports movie ever: HOOSIERS.
From start to finish. They hired kids who played basketball and turned them into actors. Actor who played Jimmy became a club pro in real life.
Same guys made RUDY, the second best sports movie of all time. ;D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 05:16:06 AM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2021, 09:01:29 PM »
Rene Russo? For real?  On the hot scale, I'd put her just above Hillary Clinton and right below Meredith Baxter...

Lord help us, Its a good thing this site sticks to GCA for the most part;)

Ira Fishman

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2021, 09:03:52 PM »
Peter,

Although I have seen almost all sports movies, I have not seen Bang the Drum Slowly. But your description of a great movie resonates. I would add Pat and Mike to the list of great sports movies.

Ira

Terry Lavin

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2021, 09:05:17 PM »

I totally agree. But I’d rather have Rene Russo than Barbara Hershey. 😅
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2021, 09:08:26 PM »

I totally agree. But I’d rather have Rene Russo than Barbara Hershey. 😅

I used to think that movie was right up there too, until I realized if he's such a smart guy, how could he A) let his players talk him into which plays to run in the big game and B) end up with her?  Her character was to put it nicely...brutal.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2021, 09:14:47 PM »
It's Indiana dude. You marry who you marry. It's for life.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2021, 09:53:50 PM »
From start to finish. They hired kids who played basketball and turned them into actors. Actor who played Jimmy became a club pro in real life.
Same guys made RUDY, the second best sports movie if all time. ;D

First time for everything. I actually agree with you about Hoosiers. :)

Kalen, come on, what’s not to like about Rene Russo?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 09:58:53 PM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back