News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

OT Has anyone ever showed up at Bandon as a single?
« on: August 14, 2021, 12:01:16 PM »
I will be going to Oregon this fall to visit friends that don't play golf. What are the chances of getting out at Bandon if I just show up as a single?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Andy Shulman

Re: OT Has anyone ever showed up at Bandon as a single?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 12:15:54 PM »
Tom - Your chances are very high.  I've played their twice as a single (2012 and 2018) and being a single gives you flexibility to change courses, tee times and multiple rounds/day on the fly, whereas threesomes and foursomes need to have their plans settled in advance.  There were lots of other singles (and twosomes) with whom to be be paired up and, during my late April 2018 visit, I played an afternoon round by myself on a nearly empty Bandon Trails. On both of my visits, I had lodging and morning tee times set up in advance.

Give the resort a call to confirm all of that is still the case.  If it is, you'll be glad you visited, whether or not it's your first time.

Peter Flory

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 01:35:19 PM »
I've done that a few times when passing through and never had a problem getting on.  If you actually want to play solo and not join up with anyone, I've had luck with that late in the day at Old Mac.  Also, if you get blocked out for a period, Shorty's is a great place to practice-play. 

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 02:09:53 PM »
Afternoon play is mostly second rounds of the day, and that means some no shows and an occasional open time. The more courses there are, with a static player pool, the more vacant time there should be. 

I've done it multiple times. Probably the worst you might expect would be a slot the following morning.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 03:37:37 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Doug Bolls

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 02:30:09 PM »
Tommy - I did what you are proposing in April 2019 - just showed up at Old Mac as a single about 12:30 and walked right on.  Had the place to myself.

Doug

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 06:34:15 PM »
I reserved times as a single and they sent me out on Pac Dunes between groups of 3 and 4.  Wasn't the most enjoyable experience.  If playing in the morning and making tee times may want to ask if they can pair you with a group of 2 or 3.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 06:48:28 PM »
The last few times up there we had singles join us on Preserve, Trails and Old Mac.  Fun to have a 4th.  You shouldn't have any problem getting a game (and a good reception from the group you join).
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 06:53:37 PM »
Well, this is great news. Looks like I’ll have to build a couple of days there into my trip.  Thanks.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 07:44:10 PM »
In March I had to make a quick trip to Roseburg. Called Bandon asked for single time between 12:30 and 1:30 on Sheep Ranch to allow time to do Roseburg business and be able to finish before dark. They had two to offer. I took the earlier one which was lucky because the round took 5 hours. Caddies endlessly advising low talent golfers is a pox on the game.

The foursome was made up of 4 singles.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 07:45:48 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jason Thurman

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 12:19:55 AM »
You're gonna love it. Bandon as a single getting paired up is easily my favorite golf adventure I ever tacked on to a work trip.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back