News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: Worst strategic ideas you have heard from golfers?
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2021, 01:04:49 AM »
Relief for divot.
You've been talking to A. V. Macan? Bringing back the stymie was one of his favorite topics.
Bring back the stymie.
Also talking to the USGA? My understanding is that they eliminated stroke and distance a couple of times only to reinstate it again. I say two strokes for a whiff, one for OB! ;)
Eliminate Stroke and Distance.

Oh. You mean golf architecture.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2021, 01:27:37 AM »
Low single digit on road hole at Old Mac, "they shouldn't put a bunker there" in reference to the road hole bunker. (His tee shot put the bunker directly in line with the pin, and he landed his approach square in the middle of it.)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David_Elvins

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2021, 03:48:00 AM »
I once had the idea (and might have even said it out loud) that flat/contour-less greens tilted back to front were the most strategic of all, and of the purest kind. I don't now remember the background to/thinking behind that idea, but it must've seemed very compelling to me at the time.
Peter,
I dont think you are far off. 
Axis of tilt angled slightly to the line of play and you might even be 100% correct.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mike Worth

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2021, 10:56:02 AM »
Some 20 years ago, I used to play a course with the architect who designed it.  He’s a lifetime friend.

On one particular par 5, which I confess I never really understood despite it being explained to me each of the 8 or so times I played it, I “suggested” adding a hazard near a well-established landing area. The response from my friend was “yeah we could do that or we could just add punji sticks instead.”

So I guess I was the person with the stupid idea.  And the great thing about lifetime friends is that rude things can be said to each other without fear of consequence LOL

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2021, 11:06:16 AM »
Jeff Brauer,

Thanks for one of the most entertaining threads on GolfClubAtlas. Hard to even make up some of this stuff.
Tim Weiman

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2021, 12:17:13 PM »
One of my favourites was not from an individual but from a club….

Having written the blurb for why Westport fell in the Irish rankings, I gave it all positive words but rounded off “but it is the slow start with the opening six holes that sees it fall a few places”. This ranking appeared in the same magazine as an article I’d written about the benefits of removing trees.

Following years ranking, the club wrote to the magazine stating (paraphrasing) that “following Ally McIntosh’s feedback, we have planted trees on the inside of the dogleg on the 2nd hole to add to the strategy and feel”…

The 2nd hole was by far the best of the opening six exactly because of the open ground movement to a lovely sited green, since blocked from view.

Way to misinterpret comments in the name of “strategy”.

Scott Warren

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2021, 06:38:27 PM »
This one from a British Open runner-up
''Royal Melbourne would be a much better course is they narrowed the fairways and grew the rough"

Not that we need any more proof, but it's another example of a really good golfer not knowing anything about golf. (He's a friend of mine and I think I've disagreed with just about every opinion he's had on golf courses - for 40 years)

Humpybong?

Carl Rogers

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2021, 07:38:42 PM »
Relief for divot.
Bring back the stymie.

I like the stymie in Match Play only.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2021, 08:57:15 AM »
Relief for divot.
Bring back the stymie.

I don't believe the Stymie was ever permitted in a stroke play event. It was always a match related rule.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2021, 01:32:59 PM »
Relief for divot.
Bring back the stymie.

I don't believe the Stymie was ever permitted in a stroke play event. It was always a match related rule.

The best way to stymie your opponent in Match Play is to hole about in fewer strokes than they did. Nothing they can do after that will win them the hole. The ultimate stymie.

Dumb rule then. Dumber rule now.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2021, 02:29:06 PM »
The only time I've ever played Stymies in an official capacity was in the World Hickory Match Play Championship. While a bit strange to get use to a first, most players found it a fun addition to the tournament and an exciting proposition to try an execute a shot when one was stymied.

With about 10 minutes of practice it became very possible to effectively execute a stymie chip and a lot of fun to successfully hole the shot during competition.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2021, 03:51:40 PM »
I never understood the strategy behind the stymie. It is one thing to end up blocking an opponent's shot and another to do it purposely. If you are that good to block another why not just go ahead and make it? What am I missing?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jon Sweet

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2021, 06:51:03 PM »
I never understood the strategy behind the stymie. It is one thing to end up blocking an opponent's shot and another to do it purposely. If you are that good to block another why not just go ahead and make it? What am I missing?
Nothing.

Jon Sweet

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2021, 07:00:08 PM »
Heard the head pro of a course tell me trees shouldn’t ever dictate strategy on a hole.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2021, 09:54:03 PM »
Heard the head pro of a course tell me trees shouldn’t ever dictate strategy on a hole.

Sounds like he was channeling Ross, or some other old Scot who came over early last century to design golf courses.

I had an interesting discussion about trees with RTJII yesterday.  Being from California, although also mentioning a project in Illinois as being difficult to permit, he wonders how long this tree removal fad, started at Oakmont, can remain in place.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Kyle Harris

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2021, 04:05:22 AM »
Nothing.

And here we all probably thought we’d never agree on anything!

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2021, 05:20:30 AM »

This one isn't all *that* bad because eventually the tree will die. The best holes that do have trees dictating strategy also have some form of back up in terms of creating interest should the trees succumb to their ultimate fate.

The 11th at Huntingdon Valley is a great example.

I felt the 17th at Augusta National was a better hole without the Eisenhower Tree..............

Sean_A

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2021, 05:35:07 AM »

Depends on the tree.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Sean_A

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2021, 05:39:45 AM »

A stymie is more about luck than anything else. That said, you can plan your putt to have the possibility of styming someone should you miss. I do it a lot when the opponent is on the other side of the hole from me. Play stymies fairly often in winter. It's an added element of fun to remind me that golf is a game.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Kyle Harris

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2021, 06:08:35 AM »

A stymie is more about luck than anything else. That said, you can plan your putt to have the possibility of styming someone should you miss. I do it a lot when the opponent is on the other side of the hole from me. Play stymies fairly often in winter. It's an added element of fun to remind me that golf is a game.

Ciao

Golf is a sport that has games.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2021, 11:37:25 AM »

Playing a Stymie is typically a last ditch defensive strategy. If player A is outside of player B and is laying one more, playing a Stymie can help to salvage a half.

I don't recall every seeing a player who was putting for birdie trying to leave a Stymie as a primary play, it's always the player trying to make a long par or bogey putt that may choose this strategy, or looking at a possible Stymie on a through line of a putt after it passes the hole.

To be effective the ball does not need to sit exactly on another players line, being in the near area of ones line is enough to influence another players execution. So you don't need to be as precise as holing a putt, especially when the putt is out of normal make range.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2021, 11:41:19 AM »
Ben Hollerbach,

Thank you for your clear, concise, and thorough explanation for why the stymie is rubbish.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2021, 11:55:12 AM »

Kyle Harris,

I'm very sorry that you misunderstood what I wrote, I in fact have very much enjoyed playing Stymies and encourage you to try them as well.  ;)

But of course I know you fully understood what I wrote. Your curt and BS attitude on the subject clearly illustrates that you are less than interested in trying something "new" and exploring an interesting and unique part of the game's history. Remember, Stymies were in play a lot longer than they've been out of play.

Sorry someone beat you with a Stymie sometime back in your youth and you've held onto that resentment ever since.

Brad Lawrence

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2021, 12:08:57 PM »
Unfortunately, I’ve never gotten to play a match using stymies. It sounds awesome and put me in the stack of people that would support it. 

As far as trees, I can understand the trend of tree removal. Some of these properties look drastically improved in the before and after pictures.  But I do fear we can go overboard because trees can and do ask players to hit certain kinds of shots in ways that no other obstacle can do on a daily basis.  Holes that really ask or force me to hit a certain kind of shot are rare and becoming more rare.  I think courses need more obstacles, not less.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2021, 12:14:48 PM »
"Hey, wouldnt it be cool if we made a dogleg right hole that forced you to hit a blind tee shot over a hotel?"

"Nah, maybe for a minnie golf course, but that idea would be ridiculed."

;D ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back