News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Karl Jensen

This could be an unknown Alister MacKenzie design. I don’t see mention of it in the 20th revision MacKenzie chronology nor on GCA. The organization was the Women’s Country Club of Detroit located near Northville and South Lyon, Michigan. It was a country club built strictly for women and had plans for golf, tennis and horseback riding. The Club appears to have managed to open 9 holes of golf in July 1930 and had greater ambitions of 27 holes. The last mention I could find for the Club is in the Fall of 1931. I think the Great Depression might have put an end to it.

Dr. MacKenzie visited the Club’s ground in 1929 and issued a report that planned the course design and construction. The Club’s ground was bought in the Spring of 1929 and the course began construction by the Fall of 1929. The Club opened its 9 hole course on 27 Jul 1930 with a golf tournament. The years 1929 to 1930 was the time frame of MacKenzie’s work in Michigan at Crystal Downs and the University of Michigan, before sailing to South America.

Below is a chronological arrangement of newspaper articles I could find about the Women’s CC of Detroit. Dr. MacKenzie’s involvement is in the fourth article down.

Does anyone have anything further to prove or disprove MacKenzie’s involvement?

Women's Country Club of Detroit article, 21 Apr 1929 Detroit, MI Free Press newspaper

Women's Country Club of Detroit article, 7 Jul 1929 Spokane, WA Spokesman Review newspaper

Women's Country Club of Detroit article, 27 Oct 1929 Detroit, MI Free Press newspaper

Women's Country Club of Detroit article, 2 Feb 1930 Detroit, MI Times newspaper

Women's Country Club of Detroit article, 23 Feb 1930 Detroit, MI Free Press newspaper

Women's Country Club of Detroit article, 27 Apr 1930 Detroit, MI Free Press newspaper

Women's Country Club of Detroit article, 25 Jul 1930 Detroit, MI Free Press newspaper

Women's Country Club of Detroit article, 30 Aug 1962 Northville, MI Record Novi News newspaper

Niall C

Karl

Thanks for posting. I've no idea whether Sean Tully and Neil Crafter have this on their list but I'm sure the attached articles will be of interest.

Niall

Anthony Gholz

Karl:

Congrats on this. It is a new one on me for the Detroit area.  I must say their timing couldn't have been worse and tha, along with MacKenzie's illness, probably doomed the club from the start.

It is always of interest to note that the Detroit area women were always more organized and earlier than the men.  The Women's District Golf association goes way back.  So I'm not surprised, and of course disappointed.  Another AM course would have been wonderful.

Anthony

Neil_Crafter

Hi Karl
Great find! I knew absolutely nothing about this as one of MacKenzie's projects until you messaged me and I read the articles you posted here. My initial reaction when I heard MacKenzie and Detroit was that it involved Colt and Alison but given the timeframe and the newspaper mention clearly a Mac solo project. And possibly with Maxwell, or more likely to be built by Wendell Miller.

I found the mention of MacKenzie flying from Pasadena to Chicago very interesting as I can't recall another mention of him ever flying. So this is a first. Will be a nice one to add to the Chronology. Hope you're ok with that, we will credit you as the source.

Seems he left California, and in particular San Francisco, on 7 January 1930, but no mention of Pasadena. Possibly he went from SF down to Pasadena to catch a plane to Chicago, and then on to Detroit. Sometime in mid January he was in Oklahoma City. Then he sailed for Argentina on 24 January from Hoboken NJ. Busy man.

I'm curious though if the 9 hole course was ready for an opening on 27 July 1930 as stated, MacKenzie couldn't have had much involvement in its construction given he returned to England when he left Argentina, and didn't get back to America until 13 June 1930. Perhaps Wendell Miller built in his absence.

Its not that clear from the articles whether the course was to be more than 9 holes. I see the last later article with the lady's recollections says it was to be 27 holes.

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing Karl.

Karl Jensen

I believe the below newspaper clipping puts an end to Dr. MacKenzie's involvement with the Women's Country Club of Detroit. I found the clipping this morning.

Women's Country Club of Detroit article, 15 May 1930 Detroit, MI Times newspaper

Jeff_Mingay

Fascinating history, Karl. Thanks for posting.
jeffmingay.com

Anthony Gholz

Karl:

Per your message to me regarding R&C laying out or "finishing" any C&A courses: [size=78%]There is a little truth to the claim.  I'll give examples.[/size]

Reid came to Plum Hollow (Southfield, MI) after Alison constructed it and it was opened.  He re-bunkered the course.  C&A took Plum off their course lists shortly after.

Connellan built the original Bloomfield Hills course designed ny Bendelow.  It makes some sense and he may have also constructed Colt's Bloomfield Hills course.  He definitely came to Bloomfield in 1917 and redid all the greens (reason?) and was responsible for transforming the creek along the left side of #8 into the pond seen today.  I have confirmation of that and most is in the book C&A in NA.

R&C did everything in the Detroit area from new designs from scratch design/build to building other designers courses.  Connellan was considered an expert on grasses at the time and was brought in to advise many courses and organizations.

Sorry, but I do not have any information about R&C and the MacKenzie courses in Michigan.

Hope this helps.
Anthony

Karl Jensen

Thanks Anthony for your input.

My take right now, on all the newspaper articles, is perhaps Dr. MacKenzie was the original architect of choice for the Women's CC but he went to South America. So the Club turned to Reid and Connellan because they were available and a known company in Michigan.

Neil_Crafter

I think that's spot on Karl.

Sean_A

Karl:

Per your message to me regarding R&C laying out or "finishing" any C&A courses: [size=78%]There is a little truth to the claim.  I'll give examples.[/size]

Reid came to Plum Hollow (Southfield, MI) after Alison constructed it and it was opened.  He re-bunkered the course.  C&A took Plum off their course lists shortly after.

Connellan built the original Bloomfield Hills course designed ny Bendelow.  It makes some sense and he may have also constructed Colt's Bloomfield Hills course.  He definitely came to Bloomfield in 1917 and redid all the greens (reason?) and was responsible for transforming the creek along the left side of #8 into the pond seen today.  I have confirmation of that and most is in the book C&A in NA.

R&C did everything in the Detroit area from new designs from scratch design/build to building other designers courses.  Connellan was considered an expert on grasses at the time and was brought in to advise many courses and organizations.

Sorry, but I do not have any information about R&C and the MacKenzie courses in Michigan.

Hope this helps.
Anthony

Connellan built the Ross designed Grosse Ile on a very difficult site. I believe he may also have been the first greenkeeper for the club.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back