News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

How do you choose your tees?
« on: July 22, 2021, 11:24:34 AM »
At my home course, we all play the whites (6000 yards, 71ish/130) for almost all daily play. Occasionally we’ll play the blues (6500, 72/133), and when playing with weaker players I’ve scooted up to the golds at around 5700 yards a few times. But >90% of my rounds are from the whites.

I’m playing a couple away rounds the next couple days. Tomorrow, we’ll play a tough modern course that stretches over 7000 yards. Saturday, we’ll play an old and quirky course that has been extended to nearly 6500 yards. If we play the white tees on the modern course, we’ll be playing a course around 6000 yards and 71/138 rating – basically the same level of difficulty we play on a daily basis. Then, when we go to the quirky course, if we play the back tees, we’ll be playing a course rated 71/131.

I guess the question is: Do you typically try to play tees that provide close to the same level of difficulty regardless of the course? Or do you play tees that reflect the architectural intent of the course, even when that intent is less fun (read: makes the course longer and harder)? Or something in between? And is one approach better than the other for someone trying to take in architectural elements?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

John Kavanaugh

Re: How do you choose your tees?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 11:33:27 AM »
My choice is based 100% on how the tee on the first hole presents itself. A nice 6,400yd tee is usually right in the middle.

It's going to be a tough choice at Pebble next week. Since I am but one of 16 I will do as others please.

Brad Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 11:47:17 AM »
I’m happy to do whatever the rest of the group wants to do. 6000, 7300, whatever. I used to HAVE to play the very back box every time, but I’m not that person or player anymore.

For others, I’ve always advised trying to find the box that lets them play the course the way the architect intended.  When I play the same box with shorter hitters, it saddens me that they don’t have to/get to make the same strategical decisions that I’m forced to make.

C. Sturges

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 11:51:59 AM »
I chose the tee that matches my outfit the best.  Style beats form and function any day.
chris

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 11:56:30 AM »
The slope makes no difference to me. It is all based on distance. I now play courses between 6200 and 6400. If there is a 440 yard par four I might move up even if it is from a shorter tee.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 12:42:38 PM »
The slope makes no difference to me. It is all based on distance. I now play courses between 6200 and 6400. If there is a 440 yard par four I might move up even if it is from a shorter tee.

That makes sense but also seems repetitive, right? In the past couple years I've played tournaments ranging from 6,200 to 7,800. Seems more interesting that way.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 12:54:38 PM »
From a U.K. perspective if it’s a Club etc competition then the tee is set and it’s play from it or don’t play.
For social, casual golf, well ego and pride further back etc tees are of no interest to me.
For social, casual play however, the weather is a key element .… Cold, wet and windy, play forward …….. Hot and humid and physically tiring, play it forward. Ground conditions have an impact too …. Soft and soggy, play it forward ……. dry and firm maybe play a bit further back. Otherwise I can be flexible partly depending on playing partner wishes.
Atb

Jimmy Chandler

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 01:20:20 PM »
That makes sense but also seems repetitive, right? In the past couple years I've played tournaments ranging from 6,200 to 7,800. Seems more interesting that way.
For a shorter hitter like myself (I probably average just about 200 yds with my driver), past a certain length it's just no fun at all. Interest for me has nothing to do with the challenge of a longer hole.

Ken Moum

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 01:24:53 PM »
At 73-yo and barely able to hit it 175 on an American-style setup, anything over 5500 yards is no fun. So That's what I try to play, 5200-5500.

I'm happy if the par fours aren't all 350-ish.  I like some under 300 and some around 400 instead.  Elie's 16 par fours come to mind.

I'm also good with par threes that require a driver, if I get to hit a short iron somewhere else.

Please limit the  500-plus-yard par fives though.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 01:26:08 PM »
At 73-yo and barely able to hit it 175 on an American-style setup, anything over 5500 yards is no fun. So That's what I try to play, 5200-5500.

I'm happy if the par fours aren't all 350-ish.  I like some under 300 and some around 400 instead.  Elie's 16 par fours come to mind.

I'm also good with par threes that require a driver, if I get to hit a short iron somewhere else.

In all sincerity. Do you and your wife play the same tees?

Ken Moum

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 01:29:36 PM »

In all sincerity. Do you and your wife play the same tees?

Rarely.  She won't play over 5,000 unless forced to.  But with lots of arthritis and four artificial joints, she's welcome to do what ever the hell she wants.

FWIW, she thinks Alice Dye was an angel.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 02:45:23 PM »
Five iron carry distance times 36 = a good 18-hole yardage for just about any player.

WW

Jon Sweet

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 02:55:55 PM »
Five iron carry distance times 36 = a good 18-hole yardage for just about any player.

WW
Would require people to be honest about how far they hit their 5 iron. Had a guy tell me he hit his 200. Really? Why does your driver go 240?

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 03:26:12 PM »
The total yardage of a golf course is so abstract a measure of the experience that it's almost totally useless.

If you're worried about playing tees that are too long or too short, look at the yardages of the actual holes you'll be playing. If you don't care enough to do that, scan for the longest par 3 or 4. If that number seems too long, move up.

Re: Matt Cohn's experience above, amateurs and pros play courses that vary by 1,000 yards over the course of a year or season. Confining oneself to a range 20% that size doesn't make much sense.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 03:37:33 PM »

WW

Fascinating...yet, for me, 100% accurate.

Before reading this post, I would have answered, "I usually like to play at around 7000 yards, +/- 200 yards.
My 5 iron carry is 195 x 36 = 7020...so spot on.

In realty, however, I play the tees most comfortable to everyone in the group.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 04:15:11 PM »
For a shorter hitter like myself (I probably average just about 200 yds with my driver), past a certain length it's just no fun at all. Interest for me has nothing to do with the challenge of a longer hole.

Sorry, I should be more clear. I’m just referring to the variety aspect. Let’s say, playing courses everywhere from 30 to 40 times your 5-iron length.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 04:35:51 PM »
6500 yds is about my max these days where I can still have some fun. Wade's calculation is a revelation, and at a 170 yard 5 iron that puts me in the 6200 yard range.

If there's some elevation or your can run up shots, recent example would be Ozarks National, I can be talked into 6700ish. Conversely, played out in LA recently at 6500 yards and the cool air and soft ground made it too long for me

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2021, 04:58:02 PM »
On courses I'm playing for the first time, I just look at the yardages for all the Par 4s, from various tees. If I can reach the average ones with mid-to-short irons and the longest-hardest one with a 2 hybrid-5 wood, that's the set of tees I pick. (I don't look at the various yardages for Par 3s or Par 5s -- it rarely makes much difference.) Depending on the course-architecture, that has me playing anywhere from 6100 to 6500 yards. (And from the formula above, I 'should be' playing at about 6200 yards.)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 05:00:47 PM by Peter Pallotta »

John Crowley

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2021, 05:03:30 PM »

WW

Good approximation. That is, if your objective is to enjoy your round.

The USGA/PGA play it forward chart gets you to about the same total yardage based on your  tee ball length.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2021, 05:04:05 PM »
I don't bother choosing tees. If the club gives them for free I just grab them by the handful from the basket in the pro-shop.

Seriously, I look at the length of the par threes along with type of course. Seaside links in GBI then I'm willing to go a little longer and if it's a mountain course I'll want to shorten it up. Seaside links won't have many forced carries and fairways that roll-out.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2021, 05:15:51 PM »
I've come to believe that everybody's golf game has a sell-by date, after which the casein and organic compounds begin to separate, curdle and slowly rot. Sometimes the degradation goes almost unnoticed, until you get halfway through the box of plastic-wrapped granola snacks - and sometimes the back surgeon, cardiologist or oncologist breaks the news the number of ticks and clicks left on your clock are a bit more finite than you thought.

As Clint Eastwood opined, "A man's got to know his own limitations." In other words, I no longer harbor the hallucination I can enjoy a golf course longer than 6400 yards, but even that is a stretch, given (what is left of) my lower spine. I also cannot fuck a hot 30-something all night anymore either, so - like which set of tees I choose - stay in my own flight and don't pretend my constricted swipe can (even) clean somebody like Matt Cohn or Jeff Fortson's golf shoes.

Without reaching back too far, I can fly a 5-iron about 162 yards reliably, but a lot depends on who designed the golf course. In other words, even at 6300 yards, if every green is a narrow ribbon, elevated and surrounded by Nicklausian "fuck you" bunkers, 6,100 is the real number.

If there is some run-up area and the Superintendent did not soak the golf course the night before, I still hit the ball extraordinarily straight, although shot-tracer technology probably will not work, because most people hit their driver higher than I can vainly hoist a sand wedge.

The operative word I live by is FUN. Whatever tees will guarantee me a fighting chance and an enjoyable round, hobnobbing with my fellow wizards, that is where we push in the peg. Age is irrelevant, because I know plenty of 62 year-olds who can still pound it 280 off the tee and cut feather a 5-iron onto a hard green from a distance requiring 800mg of Advil, four shots of tequila and a ripped Rescue club.

The only thing that hurts a bit is playing with three other guys, around my age, who can still look credible from the Blue tees (no, not Blacks). Tottering up to the whites, with my tail between my legs, is a bit much for my monstrous ego, but better to get the embarrassment out of the way on the 1st tee than crawl up #18, exhausted, hurting and grinding over a 3-foot slider to break fucking 90.

There, I said it. Three more plasma injections in my bottom disks and I may be back swinging a club (this time) in a few months, but I guarantee you, those Senior tees are looking every bit as good as that hot chick's 60-year old Mom, sitting in the corner alone, nursing a white Zin.         

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 05:18:02 PM by Gib Papazian »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2021, 05:21:35 PM »
Play golf for enjoyment, have dropped from 6200 to 5700.  If at a first time course will ask which hole has the longest forced carry and figure it out from there.  If some holes look hinky for my game from a the chosen set of tees I will hybrid tee and not post. 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2021, 05:45:11 PM »

You’re probably not 75.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2021, 06:57:56 PM »
When I visited Padraig Harrington innDublin last month, he said he could hit his 8-iron 180 yards in Scottsdale, but in his backyard on a cool day it only went 148.  That’s almost 20% difference, so I think picking a yardage you will play all the time is short-sighted.

Niall C

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2021, 07:28:31 PM »
Tom

Interesting. So from that does it follow that "playing the course the way the architect intended" is really a lost cause, and that better design is for the course to be playable and engaging for different calibre of players playing from the same tees ? In other words having numerous tees so that all level of players can hit a notional landing area is the wrong way round ?

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back