News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob_Waldron

Re: OT I played with a GD rater and he was intelligent and open minded.
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2021, 09:31:39 AM »
Gib

As usual, your views are right on point. While not for the faint of heart or the political left, they are always well written and provide an enjoyable read.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2021, 09:47:32 AM »
Gib

As usual, your views are right on point. While not for the faint of heart or the political left, they are always well written and provide an enjoyable read.

Political liberal*

Note the difference.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2021, 05:11:59 PM »
Rob et al.,

Thank you, although some in the Treehouse have privately opined my intellectual discourse (tongue in cheek for the humorless libtards at the corner table) is really just an excuse to spew racist, homophobic, irrational, intentionally inflammatory twaddle.

Ever one to give credit where credit is due, my fist-waving ex-wife chalks up my literary bird-walks to the fact I *actually did* kiss the Blarney Stone twice - putting aside my ex-mother in-law also found me neither funny nor entertaining. . . . . . but full of Blarney.

Clearly, Ran is a merciful God, for the cancel-culture shitbirds we let into the Treehouse have been unsuccessful in relegating me to the permanent penalty box, so I got that going for me.

However, before you stigmatize me with a Scarlet “R," know I’ve been a card-carrying Libertarian since 1979 - the years before we actually *had* “cards.” That stated - under the Log Cabin Republicans “Big Tent” theory - my natural political proclivities admittedly land far to the right of unserious gadflies like Vermin Supreme.

The point of the thread was the unlikely discovery of a “rater” both open minded and intelligent - and my lament the pool of learned golf scholars deserving a seat on the panel has plummeted to a thimble full of aging anachronisms . . . snarled the aging anachronism, mumbling into his Hamm's beer about the good old days.

Years ago, I recall a thread called “When Golf Was Good” . . . . somebody ought to find and revive it from the archives. One of the biggest problems is not just finding cogent, insightful raters, but having an American readership worthy of the yeoman efforts made to identify golf courses of interest and merit.

I write “American” because it always seems our younger Brit and Irish counterparts think more deeply about the game - which may explain why their conversations and posts are more often several steps above the sophomoric observations of their American counterparts. My assertion comes from countless pints, lovingly poured over clubhouse craic.

In other words, whether a public or private track, respect and reverence for the game runs strong in the youth across the pond  - while America has cultivated a culture of wall-to-wall dingbats, with no interest in anything beyond the next $500 driver or ball retriever that doubles as a humidor or flask for cheap whiskey.

Problem is, these are the next guardians of (repeating myself: “what is left of”) golf in this country. Hmmm, where are we to get our future course raters? When I was young, there was a strong spirit of noblesse oblige towards junior golfers. Most clubs extended playing privileges to the local high school team - and bag rooms and pro shops were full of budding JUCO hotshots.

But in this awful era of self-absorption and insanely expensive American country clubs, the next crop of kids and young adults moving up the ladder now end up fending for themselves on overcrowded muni courses - primarily because private clubs, populated by the same cigar-smoking cartable jockeys - are no better than the CCFAD money machines, who would rather have an empty tee sheet on Monday afternoon than let the local girl’s team play a league match.

And spare me the bullshit about the flaccid “First Tee Program.” My experience is the only thing it provides is good optics and cover for the fabulously wealthy USGA - and a photo op for their lily white corporate puppet-masters. Not to sound too egalitarian, but the truth is, the vast majority of those kids do not have the resources or transportation (Mommy and Daddy both work like rented mules for minimum wage) to stick with the game longterm - particularly the girls.

Reminds me of the 22 trillion our brain-damaged politicians have wasted since LBJ’s mythical Great Society, which worked so well in elevating the uneducated masses from the basement, every Blue State city since 1965 remains a dangerous tinderbox.

Maybe the USGA, the equipment barons -  and those phony fucks who run the PGA Tour - ought to spend less time and money "virtue signaling" to the mob that has torn the country apart and devote their ample resources to encourage, underwrite and otherwise beat the snot out of private clubs and well-heeled CCFAD joints to open their doors - and take the time to mentor and cultivate the next generation of kids in the joy and mores of our game.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 06:02:08 PM by Gib Papazian »

John Kirk

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2021, 07:03:01 PM »
When compared to Golf Magazine and Golfweek, the Golf Digest ratings tend to be less well-received at Golf Club Atlas.  I believe the primary reason is the methodology; by requiring the raters to evaluate several aspects of each course, the methodology introduces a greater chance for error in assessing how  much the rater actually likes the course.   I can't remember the name, but Jonathan Cummings explains this well in his book.

I've known quite a few Golf Digest raters.  The ones I know best are thoughtful and serious, and are generally successful in most all aspects of life.  Regardless, all raters exhibit common biases like the hometown bias and the repeat play bias.  You're only going to be good at evaluating courses if you've seen some great courses, so you know what great looks like.  My first brush with greatness was Royal Dornoch in about 1997.

I've never rated courses for a publication.  When I was younger and wanted to travel, I probably would have enjoyed that.

Michael Moore

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2021, 07:52:56 PM »
Gib -

Maybe you should put down the thesaurus and look around.

https://youthoncourse.org/golf-with-family-5-dollars/

Youth on Course, which originated in your neighborhood, has caught fire in Maine. The program has created hundreds of new golfers here, and we could not be more grateful.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Jim Franklin

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2021, 02:19:27 PM »
I can get a ball retriever that doubles as a humidor?
Mr Hurricane

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2021, 12:25:37 PM »
Jim,

I am embarrassed to admit one of my close homies actually carries a ball retriever/humidor - and the other a putter with a screw-on shaft plug you fill with booze. Maybe I got to get classier friends . . . . .

Michael,

If you need a thesaurus to decipher my posts, I suggest you go find your 7th grade English teacher and demand your tuition money back.

As for the rousing success of $5 green fees accommodating junior golf in East Backwater, Maine - well there are only 11 junior golfers in all of Chipmunk County, so we'll fill out the last group with Ol' Herb, the volunteer Fire Chief and Vice Mayor.

Did you bother to read the fine print? BTW, "Saddle Creek" is now called "GC at Copper Valley" - and there are less junior golfers in the Copperopolis/Lake Tulloch area than Chipmunk County.

Look, I teach Sp. Needs golf every Monday night, 5:30-7pm. We get a terrific turnout - usually 25 kids and adults, all the way up to 70 years old. Yeah, after every single paying customer has teed off, a couple groups go out gratis, but the big shot courses listed only let out a group or two at that el cheapo rate - and usually so late in the afternoon - when the sun goes down, the kids are stuck trudging back in pitch black from the far side of the golf course.

Since San Mateo County has HUNDREDS of junior golfers - many from families that got no jing to spare - who are you zooming? The optics look great - how magnanimous! Except throwing a couple crumbs is not a commitment, it is a photo op to keep the envirofucks at bay, when they try to shut off the water and block digging any new wells . . . .

Ask me how I know . . . . .           

Michael Moore

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2021, 02:17:48 PM »
Gib -

You asked about encouraging, underwriting, and opening doors. Youth on Course is doing all of this. You could take some kids to Pasatiempo or make a donation instead of complaining about the program.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 02:19:22 PM by Michael Moore »
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2021, 03:57:05 PM »
No, I'll just continue to teach every week - and am donating four sets of NICE clubs to Special Olympics golf. I already take junior golfers out to Olympic (no, I pay the junior guest fee) - next Thursday I am going to walk the Ocean course with two of them, because I'm on the D.L. with a pair of crushed disks.

What are YOU doing? It is more than just throwing money at a problem (you gotta be a Democrat, since you guys love to spend other people's money) - the biggest value is spending time. TIME, teaching not only how to hit and putt the pellet, but etiquette, respect for the game, how to behave like a lady or gentleman out there, how to replace a divot. Why you take your hat off and shake hands at the end of a match or round.

We're not really teaching kids how to play golf, we are teaching life lessons about respect and dignity; in other words, the opposite of all the showboating, wannabe gangsta's the fucking media celebrate as heros.

So, I ask you again, what are YOU doing to advance the cause? ??? ??? ??

YOU!     

Michael Moore

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2021, 04:53:20 PM »
Gib -

I do plenty. Just like you, and just like the people who are making Youth on Course such a success.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2021, 07:09:49 PM »
Different writing styles, different coast, same people...

Gibby and Mr Moore both support Dusty, let's just agree that is way more than enough!! Oh yea, we all belong to seaside/links golf courses:

Damn - I wish I had that turn...  :D
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back