News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

The CULLEN LINKS GC Collection New
« on: July 19, 2021, 06:32:37 AM »
Old Tom Morris layed out a rudimentary 9-hole course at Cullen Links in 1870.  There were no bunkers and even with the equipment of the day the course was considered fairly easy. In 1905 the club engaged the Lossiemouth professional, Charlie Neaves, to offer advice. He must have been a strange fellow to come up with the routing through the clay-coloured sea stacks. At 4600 yards the course isn’t long, but the par of 63 is commensurate with the yardage.  Broadly speaking the course is in four sections.  The start and end of the round are on the less interesting links land southeast of the sea stacks. The high ground, bi-level high holes have their moments, be it rare. The holes on the far side of the stacks are mildly interesting links. Then there is the sea stack section; the holes on which Cullen built its fame.

The bin near the first tee.

The opener is a very meek handshake before heading up to the high holes via a steep par 3 with a green that is not well endowed. A long par three follows. With OOB hard left and the cliff dead right, the 3rd uses the space very well. The view over the links is persuasive.

Looking over the 3rd green after teeing off on the 4th.

Very similar to the 2nd, the 4th plays up a steep bank to a lifeless green. The 5th may be the very definition of a good walk spoiled. An interesting cliff line is taken advantage of for the short 6th. Play is directly over a large dip which was mercifully mowed. It is on the sharply downhill 7th where Cullen begins to earnestly come to life. I usually don't like drop shotters, but this iteration of the concept includes a burn to the rear of the green; a hazard placement which I think is not used nearly enough.  Plus, the shot brings us back to the links.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 01:53:08 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

John Mayhugh

Re: The CULLEN LINKS GC Collection 1-7
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 07:48:17 AM »
Sean,
Thanks for this tour. I don't recall seeing photos of the earlier holes, and at this point one is inclined to wonder what makes this course worth seeing. Though the views are lovely,  which alone would inspire visiting. I know the best is coming.
I did like the 7th green with the burn behind. A particularly effective hazard on a drop shot hole.

Ken Moum

Re: The CULLEN LINKS GC Collection 1-7
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 12:54:05 PM »
Haters will be haters.   8) 8)

Play it in a comp. some time, but bring a helmet.

BTW, the Secretary there told me a local church had record of some lads being punished for playing upon the links in the mid-1300s.  Which he presumed to be playing golf!

Oh and if you're into such things, the Kings Inn has a lovely Cullen Skink
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Sean_A

Re: The CULLEN LINKS GC Collection 1-7 New
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 05:37:06 AM »
Haters will be haters.   8) 8)

Just calling it as I see it.

CULLEN TOUR CONT

8-11 is in some ways the best of Cullen. Except for the 11th, the terrain is mild mannered, but well used. The 8th is unusual in that it is the only green which is reminiscent of architecture more commonly seen these days.

At the far end of the links, the 9th is a long par 3 heading toward the bay. Lower land right of the green suggests that staying left is optimal for hitting the green, but there is a load of gunge waiting for a pulled tee shot.

Den Burn is hiding at an optimal distance for the driver on #10. I spose these days a fair percentage of golfers may think about making the carry in the right conditions. Staying safely right away from the beach can leave a very poor line of appoach. Again, simple, but effective architecture. 

Joe's Bridge.

For my money, the 11th is the best Cullen has to offer.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 02:57:27 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ben Attwood

Re: The CULLEN LINKS GC Collection 1-11
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 09:44:31 AM »
I may be way off base here but Cullen always brings up in my mind similarities with how imagine the course at Biarritz was. Loved reading that epic Biarritz thread....

Sean_A

Re: The CULLEN LINKS GC Collection 1-11 New
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 05:41:43 AM »
I may be way off base here but Cullen always brings up in my mind similarities with how imagine the course at Biarritz was. Loved reading that epic Biarritz thread....

Crazy as it sounds, I don't think any Cullen hole is as whacked as that uphill cliff face hole at Biarritz!

CULLEN TOUR CONT

We now come to the holes which have procured Cullen's fame. Playing directly over the 11th green, while picking your line between the stacks, it may be worthwhile to pay attention to the guys on the 11th tee!

For those who don't want to take the shot on, there is bail room short and left of the green. Its no picnic mind you, but its still an option.

Looking back toward the tee.

Behind the elusive green.

Onto the 13th, another sea stack hole. It does seem appropriate to signal the line with an arrow painted on the rock.

Similar to the 12th, missing the ever so small green leaves par in grave danger.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 05:50:35 AM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

Re: The CULLEN LINKS GC Collection New
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 11:15:49 AM »
Cullen Tour Cont

The 14th is some 200 yards with it's green near the beach.  It is the fourth short hole on the trot and Cullen's final par three.

Unfortunately, Cullen fizzles after the sea stacks.  The only three-shotter, 15, is decent, but leads the course into a lack of space by jamming the final three holes into a small space. 15-17 are essentially shared fairways and it makes sense to play into the 17th fairway on the 16th tee.  In earnest, it’s a mess.  It’s fairly obvious I wasn't overly impressed with Cullen as a complete course as there are several dull holes. It seems to me that a 9 holer might be more satisfactory.  Regardless, Cullen is highly unusual and for that it merits attention. 2021

Other Morayshire Courses

Moray New
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,70026.0.html

Moray Old
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,69964.0.html

Covesea
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,69959.0.html

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 05:53:45 AM by Sean_A »

Tom_Doak

Re: The CULLEN LINKS GC Collection
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2021, 11:28:20 AM »
Sean:

I liked the course a bit more than you; I'm a sucker for "different". 

Those finishing holes are okay as long as you aren't out there on a busy day, but Cullen is definitely one of those places where the demand to have eighteen holes was a battle.  I wonder what we would all think of it had they built eleven or fourteen?

Tony_Muldoon

Re: The CULLEN LINKS GC Collection
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 04:35:58 PM »
Sean apart from liking the Par 5 with its cool hump in front of the green, more than you, you've called it right IMO.

Curious holes to see if you have a spare hour or two in the area but I very much doubt I'll go back.

But with Covesea I feel there's unfinished business and want another go, and its truly quirky.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

Re: The CULLEN LINKS GC Collection New
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2021, 04:56:14 AM »
Sean:

I liked the course a bit more than you; I'm a sucker for "different". 

Those finishing holes are okay as long as you aren't out there on a busy day, but Cullen is definitely one of those places where the demand to have eighteen holes was a battle.  I wonder what we would all think of it had they built eleven or fourteen?

Cullen is an ok trip filler for me. No question there is a far better course of less than 18 holes sitting on that property!

Spangles, the par 5 was decent....not worth creating a mess at the end of the round though. I would have thought it would have been better to reconfigure the 15th and 16th into two holes heading toward the house. Then play to the green by the path as a par 3 from the current 16th tee. Then head for home.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 01:58:41 AM by Sean_A »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back