News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V_Halyard

On December 31, 2020 finally left the building.
Given that 2020 withdrew from the annual field of play, out of respect, we’ve laid low regarding the ongoing work at Cedar Rapids as there were 1000’s of folks with issues of more gravitas. It is difficult to convey the level of havoc wreaked by the 2020 Iowa derecho. To recap, August 10. 2020, Cedar Rapids, parts of Iowa and CRCC were hit by a Derecho. This one was a mix of squall line and inland hurricane that blew with 90-145mph straight line winds.

Ponder some of these stats:
Peak wind gust (est.): 140 mph (225 km/h; 62.6 m/s) (Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
Tornadoes caused:      25
Damage costs:            $11 billion (2020 USD)

To date, we and the entire region continue to battle with issues associated with insurance, logistics, contractor resources, parts, building materials and labor shortages. Add to that, we needed some time to ponder the direction of any potential GCA plan that addressed a course that lost the bulk of the trees that defined parts of the routing.
(Re:Trees…Yes. We know. Please, though, not so loud.)

The plight of our Donald Ross course was trivial when measured against the losses visited upon the community at large. Luckily, we suffered neither loss of life nor injury, at least at the club or among close friends and acquaintances. Our GM Tom Feller rode the 45 Minutes out in his pickup truck, periodically moving while dodging trees uprooted and flown across the parking lot.

Condensed CRCC history:
1904 Tom Bendelow routes 9 excellent Holes
1914 Donald Ross visits, and draws plans to incorporate much of the Bendelow routing in an expansion from 9 to18
1916 CRCC's Ross drawn build is completed by Cedar Rapids Construction Contractor W.F. Bickle
2015  Ron Prichard Designs a Restoration and Reclamation of Ross Characteristics overgrown by trees.
2020  Destruction of the majority of the canopy and lines of play in 2020
2021  Ron designs a Repair-Restoration-Renovation. The plan addresses the need for new features and alternate strategies across a drastically altered landscape.

GCA CRCC Montage.001 by V Halyard

A silver lining, we suffered no injuries nor loss of life. Slowly, the new Prichard plan is breathing new life into a scarred landscape. Progress has turned despair into hope, and now eager anticipation of what will be ultimately be a new course in comparison to the landscape first visited by Ross. The Ross shot values once enforced by a smattering of trees and groves, are being reinstated with the use of mounds, bunkers and fescue.

GCA CRCC Montage.002 by V Halyard

Here is a before/after/aftermath/and renovation progress montage. Thanks to the artful design of Prichard sculpted by Tyler Rae and Leibold, there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel. We still have a long road ahead which includes the entirety of the back nine.  We will likely remain fairly closed until the features mature and the work on the back nine is wrapped up in late 2022 or 2023.

POST_CRCC Drone June 2021 For Post copy.005 by
V Halyard, on Flickr

As of June 2021 The city and contractors are working daily to remove the tree and timber remnants that still line the streets of Cedar Rapids like grimy plowed snow waiting for spring to melt. We are happy for the progress we have made to date.
For more about the story, please pick up a copy of McKellar #5 which has an excellent piece by a CRCC previous Golf Chair and friend, Molly Altorfer.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Tommy Williamsen

Congratulations to the club and best wishes to the community.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

PCCraig

Just a crazy weather disaster, but it's great to hear that the community and your club is recovering! Those pictures are amazing.
H.P.S.

Jim Franklin

Wow. The pictures of #9 are simply astonishing. Mother Nature is still the reigning heavyweight champ. I loved my visit to CRCC. I don't know if I would recognize it again. Did the volcano hole survive?

Mr Hurricane

John Mayhugh

Vaughn,
Thanks for the update. Making the best of the situation will probably result in a terrific course getting even better. I wish everyone a lot of luck.

Pete_Pittock

Wisconsin derecho forecast today. Hope the destination golf courses there are spared

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back