News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony Ristola

TPC Sawgrass 1987
« on: June 10, 2021, 10:01:56 AM »
What's interesting to see is how it was back then. The spectator mounds, the scruffiness of the place, the waste bunkers being wastey instead of pristine, mounds that were more raw, rugged and natural looking. Bunkers and hills actually sported the color brown!

Greens 1, 2, 3, 10 and 12 had been rebuilt. I suppose the place started being cleaned up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD4E9peftLQ
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 10:14:55 AM by Tony Ristola »

Jeff_Brauer

Re: TPC Sawgrass 1987
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 11:01:16 AM »
Tom Doak may remember all this better than I do, but I recall someone saying the waste bunkers didn't work because "grasses grew too good! (and weeds).  And, I think Pete used about 7 different grass varieties, including some on the mounds for color difference, but my bet is that good old Bermuda takes that kind of spectator traffic the best, hands down, and thus it was all converted.

I may be mis recallling some of those details, but it's not unusual to find that superintendents need to change out certain things to make them more practical to their use. 
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 11:22:50 AM »

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 06:43:31 PM »
Tom Doak may remember all this better than I do, but I recall someone saying the waste bunkers didn't work because "grasses grew too good! (and weeds).  And, I think Pete used about 7 different grass varieties, including some on the mounds for color difference, but my bet is that good old Bermuda takes that kind of spectator traffic the best, hands down, and thus it was all converted.

I may be mis recallling some of those details, but it's not unusual to find that superintendents need to change out certain things to make them more practical to their use.

All the rough at Long Cove was originally centipede. Most was removed before 1990.

Old Marsh used to have 80% St. Augustine rough. TREMENDOUS definition, but awful playability & no resistance to cart traffic. It also got tore up by insects summer after summer. We removed the last few acres in play in 2016. The tees are still surrounded by it.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

David Kelly

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 07:04:32 PM »
Old Marsh used to have 80% St. Augustine rough. TREMENDOUS definition, but awful playability & no resistance to cart traffic. It also got tore up by insects summer after summer. We removed the last few acres in play in 2016. The tees are still surrounded by it.
Ugh. Nothing will get the shanks going like St. Augustine rough.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 04:48:20 PM »
What's interesting to see is how it was back then. The spectator mounds, the scruffiness of the place, the waste bunkers being wastey instead of pristine, mounds that were more raw, rugged and natural looking. Bunkers and hills actually sported the color brown!

Greens 1, 2, 3, 10 and 12 had been rebuilt. I suppose the place started being cleaned up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD4E9peftLQ

I watched the first minute of that saying to myself “why are they flying the drone so quickly?!” before checking myself…

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back