News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Coleman

“Trail Fee” for Walking
« on: May 08, 2021, 10:35:21 AM »
   Ever hear of charging members a “trail fee” for walking and carrying one’s bag? 

Tim Martin

Re: “Trail Fee” for Walking
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 10:43:58 AM »
Without getting into specific costs or clubs that have such a policy-YES.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 10:45:48 AM »
Ugh!

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 11:32:24 AM »
More common than I'd desire, and always one of the first questions I ask when talking with a potential club. The last thing I want is to be a member of a club that discourages walking.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 11:41:15 AM »
The bar doesn’t discourage drinking when they charge for a drink. Soon we will be back to two in a cart and the real knashing of teeth will begin. I’d happily pay a “trail fee” on top of a regular cart fee to ride alone.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 11:45:52 AM »
In other words: Don’t be afraid to pay to get exactly what you want.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 12:57:13 PM »
A "trail fee" is just an admission that the course is lying about what the green fee is.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 01:34:57 PM »
Yes.
Jim, have you ever asked a public course why the walking fee is the same as the riding fee?

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 01:45:26 PM »
What if you're riding a bike ?

Niall

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 02:13:47 PM »
Yes.
Jim, have you ever asked a public course why the walking fee is the same as the riding fee?

All. The. Time.

Every. Time.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 02:18:12 PM »
The bar doesn’t discourage drinking when they charge for a drink. Soon we will be back to two in a cart and the real knashing of teeth will begin. I’d happily pay a “trail fee” on top of a regular cart fee to ride alone.

John,

I audibly gasped when reading this as it seems to fly in the face of your highly successful "Buddy-Up" movement.  Unless this is really about buddies remaining buddies and not becoming something else by riding in the same cart too much!   ;)

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 02:43:55 PM »
   Some public courses charge green fees that include carts; take one if you wish.  Clubs charge for carts or push carts; rent one if you’d like.  Paying your club to walk is essentially paying a green fee, which your dues should cover IMHO.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 03:58:17 PM by Jim_Coleman »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2021, 02:55:40 PM »
   Some public courses charge green fees that include carts, take one if you wish.  Clubs charge for carts or push carts, rent one if you like.  Paying your club to walk is essentially paying a green fee, which your dues should cover IMHO.

There is no way I'd belong to a club that nickels and dimes you like that. Do they charge for tees and peanuts as well?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kyle Harris

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2021, 04:21:34 PM »
   Some public courses charge green fees that include carts; take one if you wish.  Clubs charge for carts or push carts; rent one if you’d like.  Paying your club to walk is essentially paying a green fee, which your dues should cover IMHO.

Have you ever belonged to a club that made you happy for longer than 5 minutes?
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Dave Givnish

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2021, 04:22:01 PM »
Talking Stick in Scottsdale changed to a 3-tier pricing model for their loyalty card in 2021. Base price is for a shared cart. Walking is $10 less. Solo cart is $10 more. They have a good size fleet of push carts too. And it works - between 1/4 and 1/3 of the players walk. Well done!

mike_malone

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2021, 05:12:58 PM »
Omg we agree
AKA Mayday

John McCarthy

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2021, 05:31:36 PM »
Tell me what to pay.  I'll either pay it or not. 

If there is an expectation to take a caddy, fine.  Don't surprise me.  I always enjoy my caddy rounds. I mostly carry my clubs, if there is a discount for walking, ok.  I have paid the same to carry my clubs as riding dozens to hundreds of times.

Our game's pricing bounces around a lot.  One course everyone here knows about went from no downstroke for a long time to a 25k downstroke last year.  You want it, you pay for it.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2021, 06:41:27 PM »
We have times during the day in season that it’s required to have a cart or a caddie.  If the course is closed to cart traffic due to weather and a caddie is not available a trail fee applies. 

It very rare with 12 hours notice that our caddiemaster can’t have a caddie available.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2021, 07:21:17 PM »
Occasionally, just occasionally, it’s good to be Scottish.
Love,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2021, 07:27:23 PM »
At least (in my experience), "trail fees" haven't hit California so far.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2021, 07:29:03 PM »

It's like charging for air. No chance I would join a club that doesn't let me push or carry. To charge me is taking the piss.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Daryl David

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2021, 07:37:29 PM »
At least (in my experience), "trail fees" haven't hit California so far.

I think the term “ trail fee” is being used a bit out of context. Trail fees were introduced at residential golf club developments for those residents that choose to own their own cart and are therefore not renting from the club. It’s common for those clubs to charge a trail fee annually. Usually something less that the club would charge for unlimited cart rental. An example I know of works like this. Members can rent a cart for $25 a round or $1200 a year for unlimited use. If they own their own cart, the trail fee is $500 a year.

A trail fee for walking would likely just be what the club would get if you rented a cart. It’s crazy stupid, but I guess I get it. Especially if dues are based on assuming a certain amount of cart revenue. I once belonged to a club that included unlimited cart usage built into the dues. Still a “trail fee”, just hidden in the dues.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2021, 07:43:46 PM »
Yes, a trail fee for walking is what I think this thread is about.

I can understand the rationale for a club charging something annually for the use of a member-owned cart on club cart paths.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2021, 07:54:46 PM »
   If you don’t like the term “trail fee,” feel free to call it a green fee, or a walking fee, or a surcharge. Or whatever you feel best captures the spirit.

jeffwarne

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2021, 08:00:58 PM »
We have times during the day in season that it’s required to have a cart or a caddie.  If the course is closed to cart traffic due to weather and a caddie is not available a trail fee applies. 

It very rare with 12 hours notice that our caddiemaster can’t have a caddie available.

I could understand having a fee go to the club for providing a caddie(caddie management costs-and there are real costs)
but I really can't understand a fee for caddie mismanagement.(if I can't provide you a caddie you pay extra?)

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back