News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Tallest Revetted Wall
« on: April 29, 2021, 01:50:18 PM »
What’s the tallest revetted bunker face anyone has seen? Hell at St Andrew’s is six and a half feet according to a Links Trust video: anyone know of higher?
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ian Mackenzie

Re: Tallest Revetted Wall
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 02:30:15 PM »
The 8th hole at Conway Farms in Lake Forest, IL...and it's a Fazio design...!! PGA Tour stop for FedEx Cup playoff at one point...BMW Open I think.

Greenside revetted bunker face has to be at least 8' and maybe more. I was in it once.

You can see it here and how it just doesnt belong: https://www.conwayfarmsgolfclub.org/the-course/8-850.html

The bunker style does not belong there whatsoever and there are at least 4 others.
Nice club, but course is a solid "5".
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 02:35:15 PM by Ian Mackenzie »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 02:56:32 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 03:34:57 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 03:26:55 PM »
There are a few big ones at Woodhall Spa are pretty deep. I'll see if I can find some pictures.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 03:32:47 PM »
There are a few big ones at Woodhall Spa are pretty deep. I'll see if I can find some pictures.

They aren't revetted at Woodhall, are they?
Adam Lawrence

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 03:40:47 PM »

Some are and some aren't. I think I have a picture of them revetting one green.

St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 03:41:08 PM »
I believe the deep bunker on the 17th at Castlerock Mussenden is revetted. It is well over my 6.5 foot height.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 03:43:52 PM »

You're right. Here is how they construct the bunkers.

St. John of the Cross

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 03:58:44 PM »
Adam

A couple of the par 3's on the Dundonald course had exceptionally deep bunkers when it first opened. The par 3 over the marsh had deep fronting bunkers IIRC but they paled into insignificance to the front left bunker of the par 3 in the corner adjacent to the Western Gailes entrance. I hesitate to hazard a guess at the height of it but it was well above head height.

Niall

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 04:07:18 PM »

Some of the bunker at Woodhall Spa were revetted for a spell there, though I can't think of any that survived Tom's renovation work.

I'm pretty sure the bunker left of 4 green was fully revetted, which involved ladders! At least part of the bunker left of 12 green was revetted. They were/are both 10ft -plus deep.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2021, 04:17:04 PM »
Would the ones at the DLF G&CC in India count?
Extremely high and vertical but made of artificial not turf revetts.
As to turf reverts the Spectacles at Carnoustie maybe?
Atb
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 04:23:12 PM by Thomas Dai »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 04:34:56 PM »
I remembered I had seen a huge revetted wall bunker in one of my golf architecture books. After a bit of searching, I found a picture in Mike Hurdzan's Golf Course Architecture book. According to the caption, the bunker on the 17th hole (or maybe now the 8th) at Devil's Paintbrush is 13-ft high. It looks huge, dwarfing a golfer who isn't even facing the highest section of the wall.

I think this is it in this video at time 05:00.
https://www.facebook.com/PreferredLie/videos/458507921815585/

Maybe Bryan has a photo.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 04:42:26 PM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 04:40:48 PM »
Would the ones at the DLF G&CC in India count?
Extremely high and vertical but made of artificial not turf revetts.
As to turf reverts the Spectacles at Carnoustie maybe?
Atb

This is the course that first came to my mind when I saw the thread title.

Jake Hoeffel

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 05:28:31 PM »
Fieldstone (Hurzdan Fry) in Delaware has two revetted bunkers. Both on the 18 hole. They were pretty but kind of out of synch with the rest of the course. One in the middle of the fairway and one greenside. The greenside bunker is center-placed and creates a lion's mouth green with pretty serious false fronts on the two sides of the bunker. In theory, it sounds nice but I didn't really care for the execution.

I was in the fairway bunker and it has to be over (under?) 6.5 feet deep. I believe the greenside bunker to be just as deep.

I cannot seem to post the photos but Joe Bausch has a good tour of the course. I have provided a link below (I hope). It seems as though the greenside bunker was not revetted when he played but it sure was when I played.

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/Fieldstone/pages/page_86.html?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2021, 05:42:19 PM »
What’s the tallest revetted bunker face anyone has seen? Hell at St Andrew’s is six and a half feet according to a Links Trust video: anyone know of higher?

I just hope you are not asking on behalf of someone who wants to build the new tallest one.  It seems like a very bad thing to be aiming for.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 05:44:35 PM »
If a thing’s worth doing, it’s worth overdoing  :)
Adam Lawrence

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2021, 06:10:13 PM »

Some of the bunker at Woodhall Spa were revetted for a spell there, though I can't think of any that survived Tom's renovation work.

I'm pretty sure the bunker left of 4 green was fully revetted, which involved ladders! At least part of the bunker left of 12 green was revetted. They were/are both 10ft -plus deep.

St. John of the Cross

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2021, 06:20:51 PM »
So what's the difference structurally being a large grass covered face/wall like you see on the 16th hole at PGA West that is some 20 foot tall, and one that is revetted?  The steepness of the slope of the face?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 06:53:59 PM »

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2021, 10:50:30 AM »
One my shapers worked on a course and they did one about 30 feet deep, the budget was 7 figures and it looked **** IMO.

It was in China so it probably is NLE now.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tony Ristola

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2021, 07:06:45 AM »
If a thing’s worth doing, it’s worth overdoing  :)

LOL… good thing I wasn’t drinking something!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2021, 09:06:57 AM »

This might be a better link:  https://www.conwayfarmsgolfclub.org/the-course/course-tour/8-2876.html

The 8th hole at Conway Farms in Lake Forest, IL...and it's a Fazio design...!! PGA Tour stop for FedEx Cup playoff at one point...BMW Open I think.

Greenside revetted bunker face has to be at least 8' and maybe more. I was in it once.

You can see it here and how it just doesnt belong: https://www.conwayfarmsgolfclub.org/the-course/8-850.html

The bunker style does not belong there whatsoever and there are at least 4 others.
Nice club, but course is a solid "5".
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2021, 06:21:23 PM »
I remembered I had seen a huge revetted wall bunker in one of my golf architecture books. After a bit of searching, I found a picture in Mike Hurdzan's Golf Course Architecture book. According to the caption, the bunker on the 17th hole (or maybe now the 8th) at Devil's Paintbrush is 13-ft high. It looks huge, dwarfing a golfer who isn't even facing the highest section of the wall.

Maybe Bryan has a photo.

I once aspired to join this club, but too expensive then and I'm too old now.  That said, I never played the Paintbrush but the following photo from Canadian Golfer comes with commentary that says it's 15 feet tall.  But then in this photo I'm not sure it qualifies as revetted.  Maybe it was at one time - it still is a pretty steep slope - it must be fun to mow the face.

Michael Felton

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2021, 10:17:16 AM »

Maybe Bryan has a photo.

I once aspired to join this club, but too expensive then and I'm too old now.  That said, I never played the Paintbrush but the following photo from Canadian Golfer comes with commentary that says it's 15 feet tall.  But then in this photo I'm not sure it qualifies as revetted.  Maybe it was at one time - it still is a pretty steep slope - it must be fun to mow the face.

When I've seen people mowing faces like these it's been with a flymo with some string attached to the handle. Stand at the top and let the flymo slide down and then pull it back up again with the string.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back