News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Wilson

Push Carts
« on: April 26, 2021, 09:34:33 AM »
I think there have been threads on this previously, but I thought I'd ask anyhow.  Recommendations, warnings, best value?  I'm going to have one of them sometime soon and I want to persuade myself I've done my due diligence.  Thanks in advance for any assistance. 
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Ian Mackenzie

Re: Push Carts
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 09:57:14 AM »
Without knowing your budget or any preferences whatsoever, this is a crap-shoot.

I have a Sun Mountain. I paid $200 for it in April of 2020.
I like it. It's smooth. I did not or do not seek any features in a "trolley". This one's primary selling point was, at the time, it was available and all others were on back order.

Here is info: https://breakingeighty.com/best-golf-push-carts

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 11:23:21 AM »
Steve, I have two.
A Clicgear 3.5 and a Sun Mountain Pathfinder 4. Love them both.
Clicgear for accesories. Sun Mountain for value.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 11:32:05 AM »
Just don't get one with the front wheel that turns. I often aim the cart, push it hard, and let it go. I don't need a wheel turning on the cart and changing it's direction. Often the push is towards the next tee so I don't need to return and retrieve the cart.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David Wuthrich

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 12:01:27 PM »
i love my clicgear!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 12:17:14 PM »
Steve - I have a Sun Mountain 4-wheel  “Micro-Cart” which I learned about from Sterling Forsythe. The new version of this cart is called the “Pathfinder.” Here is a link: https://shop.sunmountain.com/pathfinder-4-cart-detail

I like the 4 wheels because it is very stable and tracks in a straight line. Also, it's lightweight and easily folds into a neat package for transport.  👍👍
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 12:20:24 PM »

Jay Mickle

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 03:38:37 PM »
When not carrying I use an MGI remote control electric that I am happy with and have just turned 500km with it. I got mime last July to carry the liquids needed for Carolina mid day summer rounds when they weren't putting out water. I here that COSTCO now carries them.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Steve Wilson

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 08:52:55 AM »
Thanks for all the advice and the links.

In an aside to Ian, money is no object but to draw David Tepper in as well, vis-a-vis the Walker Trolley, neither is the object spending as much as possible. ;D

The four wheelers have intrigued me and as I would be using it on almost exclusively flat ground. 

I thinkI'll use these links to help me with my decision and then pull the trigger on a purchase.  I put several miles in yesterday with a carry bag and my back is reminding me that it's time to eliminate the put the bag down pick the bag up routine from my life.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 09:06:11 AM »
Got a ClicGear after the lockdown last year because of the weight of carrying fluids. Wonderful cart that I've beaten on with no real impact. Agree with avoiding those that have the front wheel that's not fixed. Only down side is that I had to bench my Jones carry bag as it just doesn't work on a cart in terms of getting clubs in and out of the bag.

Craig Disher

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 11:03:24 AM »
Steve,I bought a clicgear 4.0 last year replacing an old Sun Mtn. It folds up neatly and quickly after a little practice. It's heavier than most but I think it's the best available and worth the few extra dollars.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 03:08:34 PM »
In 2009, I had a Sun Mountain, with which I was quite happy.  For Christmas, more or less by mistake, I was given a Clicgear.  I used it twice, and the Sun Mountain was immediately sold on Craigslist.

I used that Clicgear for 11 years, well over 1000 rounds, and untold miles.  I finally replaced it last year because the wheel bearing had worn out; I liked the newer models well enough to pony up for a new one instead of spending $75 for a new wheel kit.

Clicgear engineering is just superb, the durability is absurd, and they fold up into a 24" cube.  It's the best on the market, and whatever is second is a very distant second.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 08:40:24 PM »
We have Cliqgears available for (free) use at my club, and they are rock solid...easy to use in all respects.  I use them occasionally, but with graphite shafts and a superlight bag, carrying isn't an issue, so most of the time I will just carry. 

Down the road, I might pull the trigger on an MGI from Costco.  A few guys at my club have those, and they love them.  But they make a Walker Trolley sound cheap!
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Andy Shulman

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 12:20:55 PM »
I got a Clicgear 3.5+ two summers ago after using a Sun Mountain Speed Cart for 10+ years.  But, don't listen to me.  The VAST majority of junior golfers (I occasionally officiate tournaments) have a Clicgear.

Bill Crane

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 12:53:41 PM »
I bought a CaddyTek at Costco two years ago after it was recommended to me by a friend who could afford any option.
Great for a @ $110.  Not as many features as others, but works good and holding up well.   
They seem to be available on Amazon now.

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 04:31:17 AM »
Steve,I bought a clicgear 4.0 last year replacing an old Sun Mtn. It folds up neatly and quickly after a little practice. It's heavier than most but I think it's the best available and worth the few extra dollars.

It is a bit heavier, but the durability is worth the weight. I have had mine for over 10 years.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2021, 09:59:05 PM »
I recommend ClicGear over all others. The durability is worth the premium.

A friend went to buy a cart recently. He was very price sensitive. Researched a bunch. Found a store that sold four brands, I think. They said "we have some refurbished carts for a lower cost." He asked what the cost of a refurbished ClicGear was. He was told "Oh, they never break so they never come back in, so we don't have any refurbished ClicGear."

So he bought a brand new ClicGear.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2021, 11:14:37 PM »
I recommend ClicGear over all others. The durability is worth the premium.

A friend went to buy a cart recently. He was very price sensitive. Researched a bunch. Found a store that sold four brands, I think. They said "we have some refurbished carts for a lower cost." He asked what the cost of a refurbished ClicGear was. He was told "Oh, they never break so they never come back in, so we don't have any refurbished ClicGear."

So he bought a brand new ClicGear.

Sounds like a David Ogilvy ad in the making. They should use that story!
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Mark Mammel

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2021, 12:21:26 AM »
If you're moving to a trolley, and if you have any age-related infirmities that preclude you from carrying, I suggest the electric trolley, used all over the UK. I won't go into the Sun Mountain etc manuals. I have used the MGI Navigator, the BatCaddy X3R, and the Motocaddy each multiple times. The BatCaddy X3R is both the cheapest and the best IMHO. It doesn't have the gyroscopic balance to keep it really straight, but it's half as much. So I adjust the direction with the remote. The X3R is also the lightest and the easiest to put in the SUV.
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

David_Tepper

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2021, 09:04:26 AM »

Charles Lund

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2021, 10:09:58 AM »
The Golf Warehouse sells one called The Weekender.  I bought one for use in San Diego in November for about $150.  Six months later I bought another one for use in Seattle on sale for a little over $100.  It's not as compact when folded as others, but two for the total price is a good deal.

Charles Lund

JReese

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2021, 10:11:24 AM »
I've used both Caddytek fixed wheel and the Rovic rv1s with the front swivel and would never go back to the Caddytek.    I also acquired the Alphard Club Booster V2 about a month ago and was finally able to get on the course with it the other day....by far the best golf related purchase I've ever made. 
"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2021, 12:09:32 PM »
Biggest reason I bought a Clicgear was attending the north/south last year. so ubiquitous, i thought it was mandatory.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back