News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Too much bikini wax?
« on: April 08, 2021, 03:11:54 PM »
These greens are looking a bit, ehm, ‘distressed’?
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

David_Tepper

Re: Too much bikini wax?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 03:23:12 PM »
The green jackets don't want to see -20 win this time. ;)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 03:33:26 PM »
Firm, fast and frustrating. Certainly has a US Open setup look.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Pat Burke

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 03:51:35 PM »
Look a lot like Australia greens when I played there

That’s a very good thing

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 04:15:25 PM »
Plus it looks like they have set a number of the pins not far from the slopes on the greens.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 04:28:29 PM »
8th green looks cooked.

Love it.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Joe Hancock

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 05:43:21 PM »
Saw similar comments elsewhere.

Turf that is used to going in and out of drought dormancy can handle the “distress”. Grass that never sees drought dormancy, except at tournament time is likely “distressed”.

Don’t fall into the old trap that “brown grass is dead grass”. That is perpetuated far too often in the golf industry.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 05:46:43 PM »
Agreed, dearest Mr H. Dormant stuff ain’t always dead.

As an aside, some of the camera angles, both on the ground and in the air (drones?) are giving some phenomenal new perspectives I’ve never seen before - and I’ve been watching for maybe fifty years.
Kudos to ANGC if they’ve decided to allow some new tech to enhance the viewing experience.
F.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 06:33:52 PM »

Turf that is used to going in and out of drought dormancy can handle the “distress”. Grass that never sees drought dormancy, except at tournament time is likely “distressed”.

Don’t fall into the old trap that “brown grass is dead grass”. That is perpetuated far too often in the golf industry.

Joe knows...

It is really wonderful to see The Masters in semi-normal format.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 06:48:22 PM »
I can't recall ever seeing the greens looking this "brown".  Perhaps the sub-air got stuck in the high fan setting?  ;)

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 07:06:09 PM »

Joe knows...

Yo!
Joe know mo’ dan da average schmo. He go so low, he show the free throw to the John Doe, he am the status quo commando Van Gogh of the bongo, da Michelangelo of da backhoe. We love da Cicero tennis pro, Joe am da zydeco god of da chateau. He am da man!
 ;D
Too much Masters red wine!
F.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 07:19:59 PM »

Joe knows...

Yo!
Joe know mo’ dan da average schmo. He go so low, he show the free throw to the John Doe, he am the status quo commando Van Gogh of the bongo, da Michelangelo of da backhoe. We love da Cicero tennis pro, Joe am da zydeco god of da chateau. He am da man!
 ;D
Too much Masters red wine!
F.

Sounds to me like you’re just getting started!
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 07:27:16 PM »
Retirement gives a man way too much free time!
V best,
F.

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 08:03:21 PM »
Greens look excellent!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 11:30:01 PM »
I don't like the way they set the greens up for this tournament, I think it makes Augusta play like a US Open. Takes away so much skill of the players. Touching a putt so lightly that it wobbles to the hole is not my idea of exposing skill.

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tim Leahy

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 02:17:06 AM »
I miss Gary McCord. :'(  Too many damn foreign accents for an American major. :P
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Kevin_Reilly

Re: Too much bikini wax? New
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2021, 02:47:33 AM »
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 04:02:24 PM by Kevin_Reilly »
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Niall C

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2021, 03:50:46 AM »
I miss Gary McCord. :'(  Too many damn foreign accents for an American major. :P

As a non-American I am not at all offended by that remark. Why shouldn't an American tournament have a mainly US flavour.

Niall

PCCraig

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2021, 10:27:18 AM »
The greens look freaking awesome.

It was fun watching those guys really have to think around the greens yesterday.
H.P.S.

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2021, 11:03:26 AM »

As a non-American I am not at all offended by that remark. Why shouldn't an American tournament have a mainly US flavour.

Niall

I don't think it should matter whether it's an "American" Tournament or not.
The best announcers available and familiar with the event/venue should be used.
But to think those with a UK, Irish, South African or Australian aren't favored would be naive.
Ironically most of the ones doing the favoring don't know the difference between an Australian, English or Scottish accent.

It's a bit like the old golf instruction adage.
"Well he's got an accent so he must be right"

On an unrelated note-I miss Gary McCord as well.
One of the most knowledgeable out there.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 04:42:56 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

archie_struthers

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2021, 11:34:53 AM »
 8)

Could get really fun, going to have to have some steel nuts to get thru some of the spots they are sure to find.

Be fun to be a caddy out there, your man needs you today!

MCirba

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2021, 11:51:47 AM »
Wax on, Wax off

Here's betting the folks at ANGC can dial up or dial back whatever firmness and speeds they desire, barring torrential downpours during tournament week.   Definitely enjoying the added risk we're seeing so far.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

jeffwarne

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2021, 12:41:02 PM »
Wax on, Wax off

Here's betting the folks at ANGC can dial up or dial back whatever firmness and speeds they desire, barring torrential downpours during tournament week.   Definitely enjoying the added risk we're seeing so far.

I happen to think Sub air is vastly over rated.
Perhaps it helps given the shady locations of greens like 10, but surely they have incredibly well drained imported sand for greensites.
When it rains there, the greens are always pretty soft, leaving monsterous pitch marks, pretty much like you see elsewhere at well built greens when it rains.
They've had the perfect March/April, with low humidity and minimal rain.
Mother nature is hard to beat.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

MCirba

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2021, 01:33:22 PM »
Jeff Warne,

I'm thinking you're correct, and I'm not a fan of the whole idea of sub-air but I doubt that matters much.   My only point is that an unlimited budget can do a lot of things that shouldn't be recommended for regular home usage.   ;)
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Niall C

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2021, 04:23:23 PM »

Niall

I don't think it should matter whether it's an "American" Tournament or not.
The best announcers available and familiar with the event/venue should be used.
But to think those with a UK, Irish, South African or Australian aren't favored would be naive.
Ironically most of the ones doing the favoring don't know the difference between an Australian, British or Scottish accent.

It's a bit like the old golf instruction adage.
"Well he's got an accent so he must be right"

On an unrelated note-I miss Gary McCord as well.
One of the most knowledgeable out there.

Jeff

Absolutely agree about best man (or woman) for the job and all that but I do think each tournament should have it's own flavour and I think nationality plays a part in that. Nationalism is sometimes portrayed as a negative but I think having predominantly US  commentators helps give the tournament "a sense of place" as designers might say.

BTW, never heard Gary McCord but aware of his rep.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back