News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Masters 2021 Predictions - Winner and Score?
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2021, 06:41:10 PM »
Norman is calling the Tournament on Sirius. I’m sorry I missed it.

I need another dose of Hello Friends with a side of Git er done. Or not.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2021, 06:58:43 PM »
I predict that Xander's choke goes down in the annals of Masters lore. Top 10?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2021, 07:11:32 PM »

I doubt it, he was always several shots back.  It was only after 15 for a brief moment he had a sniff of the Jacket before it was gone again. But sure he certainly seems to be a "horse for the course", and I could see him winning one.

John Kirk

« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2021, 07:11:47 PM »

That was brutal.  Fatted it.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2021, 09:10:33 PM »

Major Gag Reflex. Or reflux, as they say medically. He lost a very uphill battle.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2021, 09:18:17 PM »
I give him credit for not saying what he had to be thinking. At leas the announcers didn't say that is how most white guys act when they piss away a lifetime of work. I don't recall them discussing his amazing composure at all.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2021, 09:38:30 PM »
Damned proud of Will. #MotherSoDear
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2021, 10:38:39 PM »
Earlier in the day I was wondering when was the last time a contender washed it on 16. 
Did anyone else notice they didn't show an extreme closeup of Hideki's ball in the bunker on 18 as he played the shot?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:56:53 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Greg Chambers

« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2021, 10:46:27 PM »
When was the last time a winner bogied three of the last four?  Hideki didn’t win as much as every other contender choked.  Worst Masters I can remember in a long time.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

David_Tepper

« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2021, 10:48:29 PM »
"Earlier in the day I was wondering when was the last time a contender washed it on 16."

I remember Corey Pavin did that in 1986. I don't recall how close he was to the lead at the time, but I am pretty sure he was in the last 3 or 4 groups on the course.   
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:52:15 PM by David_Tepper »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2021, 11:06:36 PM »
"Earlier in the day I was wondering when was the last time a contender washed it on 16."

I remember Corey Pavin did that in 1986. I don't recall how close he was to the lead at the time, but I am pretty sure he was in the last 3 or 4 groups on the course.

Likely Greg Norman in 1996 as he carded a 5. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 11:20:09 PM by Pete_Pittock »

JLahrman

« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2021, 11:07:57 PM »
Earlier in the day I was wondering when was the last time a contender washed it on 16. 
Did anyone else notice they didn't show an extreme closeup of Hideki's ball in the bunker on 18 as he played the shot?

Norman in 1996 obviously. But that was a dead pull. Schauffele seemed to have hit the shot he wanted but either with the wrong club or maybe caught a wind gust. I don't blame Maruyama if he went a bit right after that to make sure he stayed dry.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2021, 11:19:51 PM »
I don't blame Maruyama if he went a bit right after that to make sure he stayed dry.

Who?
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2021, 11:24:43 PM »
Just discovered Wikipedia has final round scorecards. Trevor Immelman won in 2008 despite doubling 16. Dustin Johnson
in 2015 and Justin Thomas in 2019 both had top 10 finishes despite 16, but they were not truly in contention at that point.

JLahrman

« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2021, 09:03:37 AM »
I don't blame Maruyama if he went a bit right after that to make sure he stayed dry.

Who?

Whoops! Guilty as charged. Was reading an article about some of the better Japanese golfers and conflated the names. Sorry Shigeki and Hideki.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2021, 09:29:03 AM »

Not a chance.
He would have needed to birdie 17 or 18 (had he just parred 16 instead of rinsed it) to simply tie and he did not.

It was not a choke.
Hit a good shot on 16 and the wind came up on him.
No yank/pull, duff or miscue...just bad timing.

Sean_A

« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2021, 09:41:32 AM »

Not a chance.
He would have needed to birdie 17 or 18 (had he just parred 16 instead of rinsed it) to simply tie and he did not.

It was not a choke.

Soooo, a bad shot then, no?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2021, 10:06:29 AM »
He said he flushed it. The direction was perfect. What more can he do? He got unlucky with a gust of wind.
Obviously, he could have hit 7 iron to the right like Hideki - only that he was two back with three to play and had to attack.
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2021, 10:34:32 AM »

Not a chance.

It was not a choke.

Soooo, a bad shot then, no?

Ciao

No. Good shot, bad luck.
It happens.

if he had parred the hole, he would have still lost.

That triple cost him lots of money, but NOT the title.

jeffwarne

« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2021, 10:43:44 AM »
He said he flushed it. The direction was perfect. What more can he do? He got unlucky with a gust of wind.
Obviously, he could have hit 7 iron to the right like Hideki - only that he was two back with three to play and had to attack.

The shot LOOKED and sounded fat-not sure I buy that.
Besides if flushing the ball was all that's required, there'd be a lot of great players.
Pretty sure he flushed his next wedge as well.
A ton of skill in flighting shots, gauging wind-far easier with the modern ball.
It's not like he was hitting a 1980's spinny balata ball.
He either hit the wrong club, the wrong shot or mishit it, or all three.
That is one of the least demanding shots down the stretch on a Masters Sunday-with several ways to access the pin.
The proper shot, solidly struck would've a least somewhat mitigated the effect of the supposed wind gust.(it really wasn't close)
and I had him at 22-1...
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Schley

« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2021, 10:50:57 AM »
If Xander said he flushed it and hit a good shot, who are we to question that? So he didn't have the stars align and win, only 1 can wear the green jacket. IMO there are few all time chokes, it is the game in major championship pressure which requires a perfect circumstance in addition to the players best effort. You do your best and see where the chips fall where they may.  Better to have tried and failed then not try at all.
I think we need some grounding from Teddy:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2021, 10:55:58 AM »

The shot LOOKED and sounded fat-not sure I buy that.
Besides if flushing the ball was all that's required, there'd be a lot of great players.
Pretty sure he flushed his next wedge as well.
A ton of skill in flighting shots, gauging wind-far easier with the modern ball.
It's not like he was hitting a 1980's spinny balata ball.
He either hit the wrong club, the wrong shot or mishit it, or all three.
That is one of the least demanding shots down the stretch on a Masters Sunday-with several ways to access the pin.
The proper shot, solidly struck would've a least somewhat mitigated the effect of the supposed wind gust.(it really wasn't close)
and I had him at 22-1...

No, negative, false...;-)

You can gauge a shot perfectly in THAT moment then strike it purely only to have an unforeseen gust of wind knock it down.
Has happened 100 times on #12.

Did you hear Judy Rankin?
She said you could hear the rush of wind pick up just after he hit the shot.
He was going flag hunting and a wind gust f**ked him.

No more. no less, no choke, bad luck.
Sure, ho couldve done what Hideki did...who carded a 4 on the hole after a 3-jack from top tier.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2021, 11:00:16 AM »
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Garland Bayley

« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2021, 11:35:28 AM »
If Xander said he flushed it and hit a good shot, who are we to question that? ...

Psychologists through their studies have shown that athletes that perform at a high level are liars. I.e., they deny their fault when bad things happen. The article I read used the example of a famous choke by Gary Player on a bunker shot. Afterwards, Gary always claimed he hit a rock with his club. Knowledgeable observers said they heard no rock being hit, and post event examinations of the bunker found no rocks.

Who are we to question? I guess we have to claim to be psychologists.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2021, 11:39:38 AM »
No more. no less, no choke, bad luck.

Major championship history is full of guys who hit the perfect shot at the perfect moment. It's also full of people who didn't. Xander didn't. He can blame the wind or whatever he wants. Fact is, he needed to stiff it to put even more pressure on Hideki, and he didn't. Many of the guys who have won the Master's in the past have that signature moment, or run, when the pressure was on and they did something exceptional. Was really hoping Xander would follow suit.

Hideki had moments when it all could have come crashing down ... after his opening tee shot ... his water ball on 15 ... but he kept it together and did what he needed to do at the end. He managed the course and his emotions admirably.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back