News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Re: What is the Shortest Hole....
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2021, 03:36:07 PM »
I remember playing the Pocono Manor hole not long after hurricane Gloria. The value of this type of hole to me is that it tests the golfers ability to hit a half shot or knockdown shot. Even low digit players can struggle on this type of hole.

Two shorties I like are LuLu #4 and Manufacturers # 8.

Is 4 the volcano green?

Ciao

Sean-That’s it!

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2021, 03:55:15 PM »
I remember playing the Pocono Manor hole not long after hurricane Gloria. The value of this type of hole to me is that it tests the golfers ability to hit a half shot or knockdown shot. Even low digit players can struggle on this type of hole.

Two shorties I like are LuLu #4 and Manufacturers # 8.

Is 4 the volcano green?

Ciao

Sean-That’s it!

Wonderful hole.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

David Ober

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2021, 04:12:35 PM »
How long is the short par three, I think 15, at Lakeside?

Short 15 at Lakeside is 75 yards of sheer terror during the Kelly Cup. Definitely the shortest I've ever played.

Members aptly named it "The Shortest Par-5 in America" years ago.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2021, 05:21:11 PM »
They played a par 3 at LACC North at 77 or 79 yards during the 2017 Walker Cup, didn't they?

#9 at Caledonia in S.C. is 118 on the card, but that's from the very shaded (i.e. not always lush) back corner of the tee box. More often than not it's been sub-100 yards when I've played it.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Richard Fisher

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2021, 05:27:02 PM »
For the Walker Cup at LACC in September 2017, the 15th hole was set up for one of the two days to play at (if memory serves) 78 yards. A tiny, but treacherous hole (which normally plays to 130 or so).

V. Kmetz

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2021, 07:00:47 PM »
How long is the 2 or 20 hole at Engineers? That's a pretty short one

I could be off but I think it played 110-120 in its first iteration, what is the state of that hole these days; I thought I remembered its been altered substantially as Engineers has gone through permutations...

EDIT: I looked at it on Google Maps/Earth... it's back tee is 120+/- to middle...about 112 from an everyday spot and can play as little as 87 from the forward tee... still looks like a neat, cartoon villain hole.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 06:45:54 AM by V. Kmetz »
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

V. Kmetz

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2021, 07:13:34 PM »
From the range and enthusiasm of responses, it sounds like holes of extreme short length are "embraceable"... given certain circumstances.

1. Do these (the best of these) holes need a gimmick, some unusual complication to work?
2. The shortest (playing) I've heard is 66 yards (TD's example)...is there simply just a certain number by which a hole can't find its way to any distinction or honest legitimacy...59 yards...49 yards...39 yards...?
3. What's the biggest green of one of these short holes.
4. Not a GCA myself, I can't answer, but in routing a course, you found 16-17 spectacular holes but can't complete the puzzle without disturbing that spectactular...is a 75 yard hole "ploppable" "available" "legitimate" to complete the circuit?
5. what would be the reason otherwise... you're lookign for such a hole?  the landform suggests such a hole...? how does it even get in the imagination, if not an adjunct discovery imposed on a difficult routing...

Last one... is 17 Sawgrass a good, more legit, better or even worse hole if we played it at 85 yards? Or does it need its penal threat with a full swing, and fuller yardage through air to keep its rigor/fascination? (e.g.) if fewer balls go in the water, is it less of a hole?
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tom_Doak

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2021, 08:11:36 PM »
From the range and enthusiasm of responses, it sounds like holes of extreme short length are "embraceable"... given certain circumstances.

1. Do these (the best of these) holes need a gimmick, some unusual complication to work?
2. The shortest (playing) I've heard is 66 yards (TD's example)...is there simply just a certain number by which a hole can't find its way to any distinction or honest legitimacy...59 yards...49 yards...39 yards...?
4. Not a GCA myself, I can't answer, but in routing a course, you found 16-17 spectacular holes but can't complete the puzzle without disturbing that spectactular...is a 75 yard hole "ploppable" "available" "legitimate" to complete the circuit?
5. what would be the reason otherwise... you're lookign for such a hole?  the landform suggests such a hole...? how does it even get in the imagination, if not an adjunct discovery imposed on a difficult routing...

Last one... is 17 Sawgrass a good, more legit, better or even worse hole if we played it at 85 yards? Or does it need its penal threat with a full swing, and fuller yardage through air to keep its rigor/fascination? (e.g.) if fewer balls go in the water, is it less of a hole?

Hi VK, I will answer your questions, but first, a note about Mr. Dye:  when he made his site visit during the construction of Riverdale Dunes, he suggested that we make the "tournament tee" the 85-yard forward tee.  But that was in the days before the L-wedge, when pros were deathly afraid of the half-wedge approach.  As to the TPC, someone asked last week whether pros would be better off not going to the drop area, and I agreed.  The short tee is a tougher angle to many of the hole locations, and better to play from the distance you just effed up and ought to understand.  Okay here goes:

1.  No, they just need some serious penalty around the green that you've got to avoid.

2.  I would have said anything under 80 or 90 yards wouldn't work, but after seeing La Cumbre, I don't know what the cutoff is.  I have never been tempted to build a hole under 100 yards though.  Mr. Dye did volunteer once that he thought hardly any architect would have seen and built the 7th at Pebble Beach.

3.  None of the holes mentioned have a big green.  The only really short hole I can think of with a big green is the 2nd at Rockport CC, which was Bill Coore's first course.  There is water left, and a huge buried elephant in the middle of the green, so if you aim away from the water with the pin left, you have to putt over the dome.  There are probably some holes on some of these newfangled short courses that are very short with big greens, that would work on a regulation course.

4.  See #2 above.  Usually when you are short a hole, you break up a par-5 into two holes, instead of looking for something under 100 yards to get you to 18.  I have never tried it the other way.  I will try to think of that next time.

5.  La Cumbre is a small course, and it's plausible to think that was just a lack of space, but still, you have to have been thinking about the possibilities of a 66-yard hole to find one.  I think it has to come about either because you are looking for a hole like that, or as at Pebble, there is a beautiful bit of real estate you can't use in any other way, and you don't want to pass it by.

Someday I'd like to build a hole under 100 yards, but I'm not going to do it until I find a really good spot.  And someday I'd like to build a par-6, with the same caveat.  It's all about expanding the range of acceptance, but you will only succeed at that if the hole compels people to agree with the premise.

David Ober

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2021, 08:32:33 PM »

Lakeside's hole works beautifully because it is an alternate green that is regularly in play. Personally, it's not possible for me to overstate just how cool I think the set-up is there. Those two greens, in completely different places, at that juncture in the round, with the little "snack/booze shack" right there during tournament time is an absolute blast. One that I look forward to playing/watching every year.

Michael Wolf

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2021, 08:59:07 PM »
Chandler Park on Detroit's east side has a 88 yard hole immediately followed by a 130 yd hole.  The rest of the course is a normally routed 6k yard P71 layout. The back to back shorties are bordered by I94. I assume that freeway had something to do with the length of the holes.

Michael

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2021, 10:16:55 PM »
Cavendish has two very short holes of the highest calibre.

The 120 yard 4th

4 by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

And the wonderful 15th at 116 yards

15 by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

David Ober

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2021, 11:28:01 PM »
This is the wonderful short 15th at Lakeside:

Lakeside

Steve Wilson

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2021, 11:44:05 PM »
Shortest hole on a 6000+ course I ever played was at Parkersburg Country Club.  Somewhere around 95 yards, level, and not particularly interesting.  I can't remember the number and my impression is that it was just a way of getting from the previous hole to the following one.  Greg Tallman has to be very familiar with it.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2021, 04:19:22 AM »
Some general asides -
Tiny, wee par-3's often play hardest when played downwind. The more so when the rear of the green is lower than the front.
Greens that slope down from front to back usually have less pitchmark damage.
The effective yardage of 'shorties' that are uphill or downhill isn't the yardage written on the card.
Tees seem to take extra damage on wee holes, more short irons, more divots taken.
More 'shorties' please.

atb

Tim Martin

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2021, 07:22:40 AM »

The 120 yard 4th

Instagram Pilgrims will be flocking to the site forthwith having an ample bovine supply on the perimeter. Dare to dream!!!!

V. Kmetz

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2021, 07:33:02 AM »
Really thorough answers in 33, TD...

To not quote but to follow...
A. It's a legitimate question on Sawgrass, as indeed can you imagine the 80 yard shot to that Thursday, Friday or Sunday pin...at their level, with what they've got on the line?  Recreationally, for all golfers, I think it would be pretty cool (and more solvable); but I don't think TV will ever go for it, as there won't be enough balls in the water and might become a lag putting contest on the (still) difficult pins.

B. Then, not gimmick then, but danger... that's what these need to work.  It comports with the adjectives I hear used for such holes, even when they are admired: "Nasty" "Mean" "Scary" ...maybe we can coin a template-like appellage, "Napoleon"

C. I'm not up on my PB history to know, but how much "formation" of the hole was needed after routing discovery?  Was it more than just seeing a big enough pad to greenshape before the second drop to the shore?  Or did they have to carve away/build a bigger space than what was discovered?

D. From a pragmatic perspective, I think that is always going to be a tension...enough pinnable, maintainable green, with the desire to have a small target concordant with the extreme small shot...and still working with the danger concept, as your example of Coore's hole seems to suggest. (I'll bet putting over the dome with the water in the distance beyond is a fun golf shot)

E. I think it would be interesting and refreshing to see a few more of these pop up in contemporary design, or an answer to a rebuild/renovation that has developed a property or structural problem. I hope you see one in your regular work.

F  And if you do get to build that short hole, in a great spot and the long hole you spoke of, let them/that be the course you deliver without individual hole par... Throw in a couple of 245-285 holes to boot... actually string em together... Imagine:  266... 666... 66... 256... "what the f*** am I supposed to score here?" "I dunno, just play...and you're one down" LoL...

Sean_A

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2021, 08:20:35 AM »

The 120 yard 4th

Instagram Pilgrims will be flocking to the site forthwith having an ample bovine supply on the perimeter. Dare to dream!!!!

The 15th is a nasty hole when firm or soft. Duncan, what is your go to plan when on the tee?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2021, 08:47:06 AM »
The fifteenth at Cavendish is my favourite hole on the course, and the only version of the High hole (in) at St Andrews that I've ever seen on which the green is steep enough to replicate the terrors of the original.

Dunc, if any proposal to soften the green ever gets through the club, I expect you and Richard Atherton to lie down in front of the bulldozers...
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2021, 09:19:08 AM »
A bit of a tangent to your original question, but Narin & Portnoo has the MOST short holes of any course I've played. Not sure if they've changed the routing again, but when I was there two years ago there were five par 3s under 150 yards. Each hole individually was very good, but the lack of variety in par 3 length I thought was the layout's greatest weakness.

jeffwarne

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2021, 10:02:51 AM »
A bit of a tangent to your original question, but Narin & Portnoo has the MOST short holes of any course I've played. Not sure if they've changed the routing again, but when I was there two years ago there were five par 3s under 150 yards. Each hole individually was very good, but the lack of variety in par 3 length I thought was the layout's greatest weakness.

5 par 3's? I can only think of 4 , though there once were 5(way more than 2 years ago)
I remember #2-more than 150, #7 -less, #11-more,#16-less
Sounds like a setup problem the day you played.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2021, 10:13:06 AM »

The 120 yard 4th

The fifteenth looks absolutely sublime, but the fourth, and please pardon me, Duncan, looks like a feckin dogs dinner.
IMHO, of course!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2021, 10:16:32 AM »
I must say that I don't love the fourth either. It just plays as an ordinary dropshot par three tbh.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2021, 10:51:32 AM »

5 par 3's? I can only think of 4 , though there once were 5(way more than 2 years ago)
I remember #2-more than 150, #7 -less, #11-more,#16-less
Sounds like a setup problem the day you played.

They were still in the middle of all the rerouting with the Hanse renovation. The par 3s in July 2019:

6: 140 yards

9: 135 yards

11: 136 yards

14: 120 yards

16: 146 yards

They were also in the process of combining 17 and 18 to create a very long par 5 finishing hole.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 11:01:21 AM by Dan_Callahan »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2021, 11:23:01 AM »
Quote from: Sean_A

The 15th is a nasty hole when firm or soft. Duncan, what is your go to plan when on the tee?

Ciao

It’s always been a wedge or a 9iron over the bunker for me. The problem is that you can land it pin high and it runs back off the front. It needs a little more forward momentum upon landing.

My go to plan is to head up there one quiet evening with 100 balls and perfect a knock down 7-iron shot! 🤣

« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 11:44:18 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Jim Sherma

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2021, 01:43:54 PM »
Short holes on the corners of properties can be very efficient ways of routing a tight property. Good examples I've seen recently are the two short par 3's on the back 9 at Trenton CC (13 - 134/160 and 15 - 102/114 from white/blue) and Rolling Road CC (10 - 105/110 white/blue). Trenton's 13 from 160 is crazy given how tight the green is on the corner of the property, guessing it was an afterthought to find some yardage. Great way to leave room for longer holes on a tight property.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back