News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Trenham

The Ace Club Lafayette Hill PA - now Union League Liberty Hill
« on: February 27, 2021, 11:03:27 AM »
It’s being reported that The Union League of Philadelphia has acquired The Ace Club.  The property has 18 holes and a lodge and conference center.  It’s being rebranded Union League Liberty Hill.

There were rumors this time last year that Toll Brothers had acquired The Ace Club but I heard nothing further once the pandemic hit the United States.   

Seems that Chubb wanted out of a pet project of a company it acquired.  The investment into the property to remake the course into a Gary Player signature course was off the charts for the typically conservative Philadelphia market and the membership and round counts were notoriously amongst the very lowest in Philadelphia.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Malcolm Mckinnon

Re: The Ace Club Lafayette Hill PA - now Union League Liberty Hill
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 01:16:48 PM »
Announcement from the League...

https://vimeo.com/500601969/66e9fbb1a9

JESII

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 02:49:38 PM »
It would be an interesting essay that documents the recapitalization of golf courses in the Philadelphia area over the last and next several years.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 04:48:43 PM »
It's interesting how The Union League is uniquely positioned as THE one stop city/suburban/shore club for Philly. It is sort of a modern version of The Links in NYC. It was a separate membership, but they always had members from a variety of Macdonald clubs on Long Island - http://top100golf.blogspot.com/2006/11/links-club.html

If the Union League model works, it will be interesting to see if other cities follow this model...
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Bob Simons

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 10:22:53 PM »
They mentioned par 3 courses at Torresdale and National. I’m guessing at Torresdale it would be located on the property they acquired that was the car dealership?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 02:11:12 AM »
Is there any other site in the world that had had three (!) COMPLETELY different golf courses on it?

Roxborough
Eagle Lodge
The Ace Club
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

JESII

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 06:50:05 AM »
They mentioned par 3 courses at Torresdale and National. I’m guessing at Torresdale it would be located on the property they acquired that was the car dealership?

Bob, I’m not sure where the car dealer was, but I think the plan for the par 3 course is out around the top side of the range.

MCirba

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 09:27:14 AM »
Is there any other site in the world that had had three (!) COMPLETELY different golf courses on it?

Roxborough
Eagle Lodge
The Ace Club

I suspect new ownership will.eventually build a fourth.  The first three architects were;

Herb Jewson
Rees Jones
Gary Player/Warren Henderson

The last one cost about $20 million I've heard and maybe raised the course a point on the Doak Scale with some new "strategy" while making it virtually unwalkable with focus on views and seeing it all in front of you while sacrificing the routing in the process.  Doak Scale 4.5 in my book.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 10:46:07 AM »
I played the Ace Club a couple of years ago and wondered how it could be financially viable. I like the course especially the scale of the course. It sits on a pretty large plot of land. I think I'd give it a higher grade than Mike. I really liked it.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bob Simons

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 11:02:34 AM »

Bob, I’m not sure where the car dealer was, but I think the plan for the par 3 course is out around the top side of the range.

Jim, the car dealership was further down Grant Ave, away from the clubhouse. Honestly I just assumed they purchase the land because the black, barb wire tipped fence has been extended around that property to match the fence that surrounds the golf course.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 05:49:36 AM »

Roxborough
Eagle Lodge
The Ace Club

I suspect new ownership will.eventually build a fourth.  The first three architects were;

Herb Jewson
Rees Jones
Gary Player/Warren Henderson

The last one cost about $20 million I've heard and maybe raised the course a point on the Doak Scale with some new "strategy" while making it virtually unwalkable with focus on views and seeing it all in front of you while sacrificing the routing in the process.  Doak Scale 4.5 in my book.

Mike Cirba,

Rees Jones credits the design as 1982 for Eagle Lodge - https://www.reesjonesinc.com/eagle-lodge/

I swear that I played high school matches at "Eagle Lodge" in 1978-80. Did they simply change the name of Roxborough, and I was playing the Herb Jewson course renamed Eagle Lodge before Rees Jones came in and did Eagle Lodge II?

I may have my timing off, but I think that is correct. Not a big deal if you don't know...
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Bob Harris

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 07:55:32 AM »
From Pete Trenham's website:
Roxborough  C.C. was later purchased by the Insurance Company of North America in 1946. Jewson was kept on as the professional and manager until his re- tirement in 1960. The name was changed to INA Country Club. The course was redesigned by Rees Jones in 1982 and the name was changed to Eagle Lodge Country Club. The Section Champion- ship was played at the Eagle Lodge course for several years. Later the facility was purchased by the Ace Insurance Company and was renamed The Ace Club. It was completely redesigned by Gary Player’s architectural firm and reopened in 2003.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 11:06:47 AM by Bob Harris »

MCirba

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 07:55:52 AM »
Mike Sweeney,

Apparently INA insurance company (later CIGNA) bought Roxborough Country Club in 1946 for its employees.

Rees redesigned the course (keeping some of the routing) with all new greens, bunkers, and apparently leveling of some fairways in 1982 and it was re-opened in 1983.   Not sure how readable this July 1982 article will be, but hope it helps.

So yes, it appears you played Herb Jewson's Roxborough!  :)

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Joe Bausch

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2021, 08:56:37 AM »
This 1937 Dallin aerial of Roxborough CC is pretty darn neat:

https://digital.hagley.org/70_200_10191
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Dan Boerger

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2021, 09:03:17 AM »
Could be wrong, but I don't think that course (as ACE) ever had a lot of play. If anyone can fill up the tee sheet, however, I'm guessing the UL with its large membership (and ability to extend golf privileges) can.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

David_Tepper

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 10:07:39 AM »
How large is the membership of the Union League Club? Anyone know how they are financing the purchase of these golf properties?

JESII

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2021, 10:16:16 AM »
David,

I heard they had 4,500ish a number of years ago, around when they bought Torresdale Frankford. Not sure if they consider this ongoing expansion as an opportunity to grow, or to simply better serve their current members...think the latter.

FWIW, I heard the purchase price was in the $70M neighborhood. Not necessarily an informed source, but that's a number bouncing around. I have no idea what the hotel and conference center infrastructure is...

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2021, 11:03:46 AM »
Membership at 4000+ in this article:

https://www.linksmagazine.com/union-league-national/

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2021, 08:01:09 PM »

The 311-acre property in Lafayette Hill, Pa., a Philadelphia suburb, includes a conference center that can host 500 people and 120 hotel rooms, in addition to its 18-hole Gary Player-designed golf course. It will be added to the Union League portfolio that has grown to include two other clubs and two stand-alone restaurants in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The Ace Club, which will now be renamed Liberty Hill, was built in 2003 by Chubb Insurance.

The Union League of Philadelphia has put under agreement the Ace Club, an 18-hole Gary Player-designed golf course and conference facility in the Philadelphia suburb of Lafayette Hill, Pa., the Philadelphia Business Journal reported.The pending acquisition of the 311-acre property, which has a 35,000-sq. ft. clubhouse and rooms for overnight stays, will add to the Union League’s growing real estate holdings in New Jersey and the Philadelphia region, the Business Journal reported.

Read more....

https://clubandresortbusiness.com/union-league-of-philadelphia-to-acquire-ace-club/
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 08:02:55 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2021, 10:57:14 AM »
David,

I heard they had 4,500ish a number of years ago, around when they bought Torresdale Frankford. Not sure if they consider this ongoing expansion as an opportunity to grow, or to simply better serve their current members...think the latter.

FWIW, I heard the purchase price was in the $70M neighborhood. Not necessarily an informed source, but that's a number bouncing around. I have no idea what the hotel and conference center infrastructure is...

Even with 4,500 members I can't fathom how a club can afford a $70 million purchase, in addition to the remodeling of this National course - which looks fantastic btw. This is August National type money to throw around.

JESII

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2021, 11:20:14 AM »
Agreed but these guys are in both the golf and hospitality business already. They either see a way to run the Hotel and Conference center at a profit or have a quick spin-off in mind...in my opinion.

archie_struthers

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2021, 07:01:05 AM »
 :D ;D

Union League activities in the golf world here in Philly continue to amaze. I'm not sure I get the Ace Club purchase but their GM sure has done a great job running the operation for a while. Quite a talent he appears to be!

Things at the old Sand Barrens continue to move along. Fry and Straka are here all the time watching the progress , gotta be pretty cold for Floridians here at the shore in the winter. As I've said before it's quite a transformation and the golf holes themselves are really interesting and a visual treat!

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2021, 07:29:22 AM »

I found this article searching for information on Union League of Philadelphia’s expansion.  It’s amazing their sister club in Chicago is contemplating selling a prized asset to bolster its finances, in the wake of Covid.

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/union-league-club-of-chicago-considers-selling-a-prized-monet-to-stay-afloat
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back