News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Sherma

Re: The best 10 courses that no-ones ever heard of?
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2021, 10:21:59 AM »

Disagree with garland that Strandhill pushes out Co. Sligo. Both are worthy.

Jim

Even with Pat Ruddy's changes, Co. Sligo is one of the best links I've played and probably in my top 5 favourites however I think you'd struggle to claim a Harry Colt design that has hosted the Walker Cup is a course no-one has ever heard of.

Niall

Niall - you are correct in that Sligo is the wrong course to put forth in this thread. I do love it and have it near the top of my list of favorites. Sligo is certainly more known than Strandhill, but IMO not nearly as well known as the quality of the course merits. (BTW I have only played the current version post-Ruddy - also, I really like Strandhill as well)

mike_malone

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2021, 11:00:04 AM »
In Philadelphia it must be off the beaten track so that it gets ignored. I would say Westwood and Centerton are my choices. They are both in South Jersey which is a wasteland to start.
AKA Mayday

Joe Bausch

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2021, 11:08:25 AM »
In Philadelphia it must be off the beaten track so that it gets ignored. I would say Westwood and Centerton are my choices. They are both in South Jersey which is a wasteland to start.

Two good ones from Mayday.  Make it a threesome with another from that neck of the woods:  Running Deer.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 05:51:43 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

mike_malone

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2021, 11:58:13 AM »

Two good one from Mayday.  Make it a threesome with another from that neck of the woods:  Running Deer.

+1
AKA Mayday

John Mayhugh

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2021, 12:50:23 PM »
Tom,
Are you behind Cookie Jar Golf? If so, are you looking for ideas of places to profile? I think a little more context to your search could give better results.

Matt Cohn's description of courses whose quality far exceeds their notoriety seems a good approach. Some thoughts below. I know, I exceeded the 10 course request.

Scotland
Boat of Garten
Braid Hills (views!!!)
Dunbar
Golspie (feel like gets overlooked compared to Brora)

England
Alnmouth Village
Bamburgh Castle (views!!!)
Blackwell
Church Stretton
Cleeve Hill (though I think awareness has increased)
Dunstanburgh Castle
Formby Ladies
Seascale
Silloth (outside of GCA, is it well-known?)

Ireland
Cruit Island
Mulranny

Wales
Bulls Bay
Southerndown

Bill Crane

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2021, 01:56:53 PM »
I always liked Manasquan River and think it is possibly the most under-rated course in NJ and possibly the US. 
Robert White design, interesting movement to the land, especially the front nine. Back nine has holes along the Manasquan River - which is really a bay.
Have not been there in ages, and I hear that the restoration work done by Andrew Green has been well received.

MCirba

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2021, 02:13:25 PM »
I always liked Manasquan River and think it is possibly the most under-rated course in NJ and possibly the US. 
Robert White design, interesting movement to the land, especially the front nine. Back nine has holes along the Manasquan River - which is really a bay.
Have not been there in ages, and I hear that the restoration work done by Andrew Green has been well received.

If I keep giving it "Doak Scale" 8s here it won't be ignored much longer, Bill.  :)

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,67809.125.html
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

JeffTodd

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2021, 03:54:56 PM »

Two good one from Mayday.  Make it a threesome with another from that neck of the woods:  Running Deer.

+1
Your comments made me think of White Oaks, which I haven't played in well over 10 years but always enjoyed and is in the middle of nowhere South Jersey.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2021, 04:18:46 PM »
I doubt there are too many in California that nobody has heard of, but for courses whose quality far exceeds their notoriety, I'll propose Claremont in Oakland and Virginia Country Club in Long Beach.
Matt,

Virginia Country Club is an old oil industry Long Beach hang out. I enjoyed the drop shot Par 3 near the clubhouse but really not much else. Honestly, despite the pace of play disaster on the first 4-5 holes, I’d prefer Rec Park. Playing it one day with Tommy Naccarato was one of my favorite golf experiences.

I was there in 2019 and found exceptional conditions and an unusually high number of distinctive and interesting holes. I'm surprised that your favorite hole was a moderately downhill 150 yard par 3!

Ben Malach

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2021, 06:47:09 PM »
This topic was made for me. I love small time golf.

Eastern Canada:

Blue Nose CC - Interesting golf course some really quirk holes on a peninsula into the Atlantic across the harbor in Lunenberg from the Bluenose II. Special note on the cape hole par 5 that uses the land on the harbor to maximum effect.

Northumberland Links- Just down the road from the resort at Fox Habour is this quiet Nova Scotia gem. The course is normally found in a firm and fast condition. The holes play well but are nothing fancy just simple golf that fits the site. It's some of the best public golf for the cost in the province a must-visit if you are diving to Cabot from Quebec or Ontario.

Lachute- A 36 hole property just outside Montreal. The old course is a Stanley Thompson that has a unique 6-6-6 routing with par 3's ranging from 100 y to 230 y. The course has a lot of movement and flavor in the green and is somewhere you should check out if you are in the area. The second course is Howard Watson's work. It's classic 60's architecture, brutish and brawny but is home to a few holes of interest and makes this an easy 36 hole day although I would play the Watson first. then the Thompson.

Lake Carling- A Howard Watson course on the way to Mont Tremblant. Is a really fun course that is in need of a haircut and a little love. But if you do stop here you will find a bunch of half par holes that play to some of the most wild greens I have seen in the Country.  The highlight of the golf course to me is the routing that creates multiple touch points and moves the golfer around a very severe property with only a couple hard walks.

Western Canada

Rosetown- a 12 hole course in the Sandhills of Saskatchewan that has been reworked by Dan Philcox and Trevor Dormer. Really cool golf that embraces its environment when most golf courses in the area try to hide that they are on rolling sand hills.

Wild Horse- Just down the road from Rod Wittman's first work Wolf Creek is this little gem. A really cool golf course that more dependant on the natural landforms than on man made hazards. Play this one as a salve to your soul after the extreme golf found at Wolf Creek. 

Coy's Par 3- Quiet is the definition of this golf course. The greens are small and placed artfully on this lay of the land par 3 course in the British Columbia mountains. I think the stretch from 1-6  is some of the best golf that can be played in the golf rich Invermere valley as they demand that you hit shots that are normally never asked by a modern course. I have a soft spot for courses that sell their rounds with food produced on the property, in this case steak as this is still a working cattle operation.

Sonora Dunes- This 9 holes of bunkerless desert mountain golf feels like it would be more at home in Arizona rather than the mountains of British Columbia. With the exception of one walk this golf course effortlessly moves up and down the side of a mountain engaging the player with artful contour and elegant breaks in the maintained turf as its only defense.

@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

David Ober

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2021, 07:08:53 PM »
In Southern California:

1) Soule Park -- not nearly enough people even know this course exists

2) Rustic Canyon -- A criminal number of good golfers have never played this course from the Inland Empire, OC, San Diego. Many have barely heard of it. It's a 2-hour drive for me and can be 3 hours coming home, which is why I suspect it's that way.

3) Goose Creek -- Outside the Inland Empire (and bargain hunters from L.A. and OC), Goose seems like a course that is quite a bit under the radar, but I may be mistaken

4) Hacienda -- Not enough people know about this "tucked away" private club. Definitely a hidden gem, IMHO.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2021, 07:49:32 PM »
I'll add two "B Creek" courses, although not sure how under the radar they are around this site:

Barona Creek (Todd Eckenrode) in San Diego and Boulder Creek (Mark Rathert) in Boulder City, outside of Vegas.

Agree on three of the four on David's entry above, although I'm not as high on Goose Creek as many are. It's good, but doesn't really excite me.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

David Ober

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2021, 08:21:04 PM »
I'll add two "B Creek" courses, although not sure how under the radar they are around this site:

Barona Creek (Todd Eckenrode) in San Diego and Boulder Creek (Mark Rathert) in Boulder City, outside of Vegas.

Agree on three of the four on David's entry above, although I'm not as high on Goose Creek as many are. It's good, but doesn't really excite me.

I always forget about Barona, Mark. Probably because the first time I played it it was an absolutely fantastic experience AND the course was in great shape. The next time I played it, years later, it was in such bad shape that it took away from any enjoyment.

I would add Rams Hill and Wilshire to this list. RH It's just a blast to play in firm conditions, and Wilshire has never gotten the credit it deserves. It is such a fun, quirky track, and the small stream that winds its way through the course comes into play -- in just the right way -- on so many holes.

Daryl David

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2021, 08:41:53 PM »

Tai Tapu, NZ (9 holer)
Valdres, Norway (9 holer)
Gearhart Links, OR
Walla Walla CC, WA (back nine only)
Wick GC, Scotland

How much involvement did Tillinghast have at WWCC?  Is the back 9 his work?

I would defer to some our resident historians, but the club makes the claim.  The front was laid out by a banker when the club was founded. It’s flat, cramped, tree choked and not really interesting. The story goes that when the club acquired extra land for a second 9, Tilley was hired. Not sure how true the story of his involvement is,  but the back nine has some really interesting holes. If the club would take the time with some bunker work, mow lines and tree trimming, they would have a cracking good nine.  I doubt the membership knows what bones are there. The last few times I have played, I have convinced my host to start on 10 and do two loops of the back. He used to think I was nuts, but now plays his rounds that way provided it’s not crowded.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2021, 09:08:56 PM »
Columbia CC in Columbia, MS (Circa 1931) hasn't ever been mentioned, but aerial pictures and street view lead me to believe there is something worth seeing. Would suspect the either Seymour Dunn or William Langford might have had a hand in this course, but can't find any info pointing to either.

Niall C

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2021, 02:54:35 AM »
Niall -  a pedant writes, but R County Down and not County Sligo has hosted the Walker Cup (in 2007)...

Richard

Many thanks for putting me right. I recall seeing team photos on the walls in the clubhouse and recognising one of the players as a player from a club near me and thought he'd played Walker Cup (need to check if he did). It no doubt was from the Home Internationals when they were played there.

Jim

From memory the Pat Ruddy changes at Co Sligo involved mainly extending the greens to the back. The first (back right corner from memory), the 7th (?) again back right and another hole where he more or less doubled the size of the green by extending it straight back (can't recall the number). The main change however was the 3rd (?) green which he moved back about 40 or 50 yards to make it more visible. I can't honestly recall the green it replaced but the replacement green is OK.

No other major structural changes that I can recall. Was the work needed ? Hard to say with only one play but the changes certainly didn't add to the aesthetics.

Niall 

Niall C

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2021, 03:04:18 AM »
Not 10 but here's some suggestions for Scotland;

Up north;

- Elgin
- Duff House Royal

Glasgow area;

- East Renfrewshire
- Cawder
- Ranfurly Castle

South West area;

- Southerness
- Stranraer

Forfar area;

- Forfar  ;D

Niall

Paul Dolton

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2021, 07:21:56 AM »
Purdis Heath , Ipswich Suffolk

MCirba

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2021, 07:59:28 AM »
Fred Arbanas GC near Kansas City, MO.

Andrew Harvie

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2021, 12:05:37 PM »
This topic was made for me. I love small time golf.

Eastern Canada:

Blue Nose CC - Interesting golf course some really quirk holes on a peninsula into the Atlantic across the harbor in Lunenberg from the Bluenose II. Special note on the cape hole par 5 that uses the land on the harbor to maximum effect.

Northumberland Links- Just down the road from the resort at Fox Habour is this quiet Nova Scotia gem. The course is normally found in a firm and fast condition. The holes play well but are nothing fancy just simple golf that fits the site. It's some of the best public golf for the cost in the province a must-visit if you are diving to Cabot from Quebec or Ontario.

Lachute- A 36 hole property just outside Montreal. The old course is a Stanley Thompson that has a unique 6-6-6 routing with par 3's ranging from 100 y to 230 y. The course has a lot of movement and flavor in the green and is somewhere you should check out if you are in the area. The second course is Howard Watson's work. It's classic 60's architecture, brutish and brawny but is home to a few holes of interest and makes this an easy 36 hole day although I would play the Watson first. then the Thompson.

Lake Carling- A Howard Watson course on the way to Mont Tremblant. Is a really fun course that is in need of a haircut and a little love. But if you do stop here you will find a bunch of half par holes that play to some of the most wild greens I have seen in the Country.  The highlight of the golf course to me is the routing that creates multiple touch points and moves the golfer around a very severe property with only a couple hard walks.

Western Canada

Rosetown- a 12 hole course in the Sandhills of Saskatchewan that has been reworked by Dan Philcox and Trevor Dormer. Really cool golf that embraces its environment when most golf courses in the area try to hide that they are on rolling sand hills.

Wild Horse- Just down the road from Rod Wittman's first work Wolf Creek is this little gem. A really cool golf course that more dependant on the natural landforms than on man made hazards. Play this one as a salve to your soul after the extreme golf found at Wolf Creek. 

Coy's Par 3- Quiet is the definition of this golf course. The greens are small and placed artfully on this lay of the land par 3 course in the British Columbia mountains. I think the stretch from 1-6  is some of the best golf that can be played in the golf rich Invermere valley as they demand that you hit shots that are normally never asked by a modern course. I have a soft spot for courses that sell their rounds with food produced on the property, in this case steak as this is still a working cattle operation.

Sonora Dunes- This 9 holes of bunkerless desert mountain golf feels like it would be more at home in Arizona rather than the mountains of British Columbia. With the exception of one walk this golf course effortlessly moves up and down the side of a mountain engaging the player with artful contour and elegant breaks in the maintained turf as its only defense.

I'll co-sign Sonora Dunes. It was pretty fun! I do want to see most of the other courses you mentioned, and should get to a few of them this year

Blake Conant

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2021, 12:33:29 PM »
Columbia CC in Columbia, MS (Circa 1931) hasn't ever been mentioned, but aerial pictures and street view lead me to believe there is something worth seeing. Would suspect the either Seymour Dunn or William Langford might have had a hand in this course, but can't find any info pointing to either.

Leave it to you to uncover a (potential) Langford course hidden in the belly of Mississippi!

Regardless of who the original architect is, that photo and the aerial look very interesting.

Kye Goalby

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2021, 12:44:36 PM »

Rees, that photo intrigued the shit out of me and I checked the course aerial out. It looks amazing! I would bet a lot of $ that  has to be Langford- unless Harry Smead made it to Mississippi!  Always looking for more Langfords - thanks for the heads up!

MCirba

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2021, 01:13:29 PM »
Also second Jeff Warne on Arrowhead Point.

It's so hidden I still have no idea how I got there.

Tom Mills

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2021, 03:17:33 PM »
Tom,
Are you behind Cookie Jar Golf? If so, are you looking for ideas of places to profile? I think a little more context to your search could give better results.

Matt Cohn's description of courses whose quality far exceeds their notoriety seems a good approach. Some thoughts below. I know, I exceeded the 10 course request.

Scotland
Boat of Garten
Braid Hills (views!!!)
Dunbar
Golspie (feel like gets overlooked compared to Brora)

England
Alnmouth Village
Bamburgh Castle (views!!!)
Blackwell
Church Stretton
Cleeve Hill (though I think awareness has increased)
Dunstanburgh Castle
Formby Ladies
Seascale
Silloth (outside of GCA, is it well-known?)

Ireland
Cruit Island
Mulranny

Wales
Bulls Bay
Southerndown

John,

Yes I am indeed, along with a few friends. Thank you for your list, we're keen to profile some of the lesser known clubs this coming year, and hopefully try and push some much needed revenue their way. If you're interested, of the courses you've listed, we've already profiled

Cleeve Hill - although a while ago for the campaign and are planning a return now it's saved.Formby Ladies - My personal favourite of our films!Silloth on Solway - this was actually our first film

We were supposed to profile Boat of Garden on our Scotland trip but the course was shut for rain and we had to settle for Castle Stuart!

Moreover, Blackwell is my home course so it's going to get the full treatment when the weather turns in May!

Thanks again,

Tom
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 03:20:07 PM by Tom Mills »
Tom Mills

Andrew Harvie

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2021, 03:59:55 PM »
I should mention Kenogamisis too. Stanley Thompson design 3 hours north of Thunder Bay (lol), but nine really, really good golf holes. The Les Furber nine is actually atrocious and downright offensive, but the Thompson nine is probably a Doak 6

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back