News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Saved best for last, or almost last
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2021, 10:19:41 AM »

Does there need to be a YTD for you to be OTD?  :P

My dad was also Tom, but gave me a different name so I wasn't a "junior".  When I was 20, and home from college over winter break, someone called the house asking for "Tom" and my mom, not knowing if it was for my dad or me, asked the caller "old Tom or young Tom?"  [I do not think she meant it as a golf reference.]  Anyway, it turned out to be Ben Crenshaw, and when I got on the phone he was still laughing about it.

I did not name my son Tom, so I can only be Young Tom.  ;)

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2021, 10:45:21 AM »
I think it is pretty unarguable that the greatest period of Colt's career was the years immediately before WW1, which include Swinley, St George's Hill, Eden and all his American work, including Pine Valley. I am in awe of how he got through so much in those years, especially given that his construction model was not as fully formed as it was by the Twenties. But there is a good argument that his absolute best work was Portrush, done pretty late in his career.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2021, 11:26:45 AM »
I think it is pretty unarguable that the greatest period of Colt's career was the years immediately before WW1, which include Swinley, St George's Hill, Eden and all his American work, including Pine Valley. I am in awe of how he got through so much in those years, especially given that his construction model was not as fully formed as it was by the Twenties. But there is a good argument that his absolute best work was Portrush, done pretty late in his career.

When did he work on Portrush?  I thought it was 1920.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2021, 11:49:13 AM »

When did he work on Portrush?  I thought it was 1920.

Ah, now that is an interesting story. He was first hired by the club in 1922, and he proposed the scheme that was eventually brought to fruition. But it did not happen at the time, due to a lot of internal issues at the club. The work was finally approved in 1928, executed in 1930-1931 and opened in 1932. So not right at the end of his career, but relatively late -- the Thirties were much quieter for him than the Twenties, for obvious reasons.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back