News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Epitome of cart usage
« on: January 26, 2021, 10:40:33 PM »
I am spending three months in Palm Springs and have been fascinated by the sight of people driving golf carts with a dog in the passenger seat.  Apparently rather than walk the dog, people drive the dog to their favorite spot to relieve themselves.   

We are doomed!

jeffwarne

Re: Epitome of cart usage
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 10:55:44 PM »
I am spending three months in Palm Springs and have been fascinated by the sight of people driving golf carts with a dog in the passenger seat.  Apparently rather than walk the dog, people drive the dog to their favorite spot to relieve themselves.   

We are doomed!

We're doomed when the dog drives us...
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

mike_beene

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 11:45:09 PM »
The Martians will think the dogs are in charge...which is basically true.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 04:32:10 AM »
Jason, apparently you've never spent time in Myrtle Beach during the "harsh" winter months. People "walk" their dogs while driving inside their zippered cart enclosure, a leash threaded through it, and the dog walking/jogging alongside.
But, yes, driving your dog to the beach for a shoreline walk is very common here.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 09:29:50 AM »
Three months in Palm Springs sounds very nice. Do they have seasonal memberships anywhere?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 09:40:19 AM »
Three months in Palm Springs sounds very nice. Do they have seasonal memberships anywhere?

Yes, but they are called regular memberships and you pay full price for them.

Jason Topp

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 11:08:00 AM »

Tommy

I wound up getting a discount card at a public course.   I knew I would not be playing enough to justify even a 3 month membership.   It is a good year for that option with all of the travel restrictions.  Courses seem pretty empty so far. 

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 11:09:29 AM »
Jason, apparently you've never spent time in Myrtle Beach during the "harsh" winter months. People "walk" their dogs while driving inside their zippered cart enclosure, a leash threaded through it, and the dog walking/jogging alongside.
But, yes, driving your dog to the beach for a shoreline walk is very common here.

I can understand that approach somewhat.  From what I can tell here, it does not seem like the dogs are even walking. 

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 11:22:55 AM »

We are doomed!

Next step: Self-driving golf carts, programmed to go *only* to the dog's favorite spot.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Brian Finn

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 11:23:21 AM »
I can understand that approach somewhat.  From what I can tell here, it does not seem like the dogs are even walking.
I'm sure they all have treadmills at home for the dogs to get their exercise. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Tim Leahy

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 04:36:19 PM »

C'mon Tom can't you hook him up with something at Stone Eagle? ;D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 05:30:59 PM »

Actually they do
June-August...fire suit optional
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 05:48:11 PM »

Years ago a friend of mine brought a celebrity of sorts to Stone Eagle, and he expressed interest in being a member, thinking the club would love to have someone of his stature hanging around.  I had to delicately explain that they didn't really care about that.  And those were the previous owners; it would be tougher now!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 10:54:15 PM »

Years ago a friend of mine brought a celebrity of sorts to Stone Eagle, and he expressed interest in being a member, thinking the club would love to have someone of his stature hanging around.  I had to delicately explain that they didn't really care about that.  And those were the previous owners; it would be tougher now!

Interesting. I didn't get that impression when I was there a couple of years ago.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 09:03:28 PM »

I thought Stone Eagle had a year to year membership with no initiation fee?  There's no food minimum either. It was highly successful last year. 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2021, 09:11:38 PM »

I thought Stone Eagle had a year to year membership with no initiation fee?  There's no food minimum either. It was highly successful last year.

That was my understanding as well.
St. John of the Cross

Daryl David

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 09:52:55 PM »

That was my understanding as well.

Currently there is a waitlist to join , so it’s a moot point.

Ken Moum

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 11:11:47 PM »

You need to spend some time in retirement communities, especially RV resorts.

We live in a motorhome and the parks all have "dog parks" to prevent there being poop everywhere.  A lot of dogs get golf cart rides or a trip in a "dog stroller" to get to the poopetarium.

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Greg Hohman

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2021, 12:22:29 AM »
Jason, where are you playing? Although I have not been in PS since the pandemic started, I have played in the area a few times a year for 10 years and have not witnessed a cart search for the nearest point of relief. I forget a lot of things, such as my scores, but would have remembered it!
newmonumentsgc.com

Jason Topp

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 01:18:28 PM »
Jason, where are you playing? Although I have not been in PS since the pandemic started, I have played in the area a few times a year for 10 years and have not witnessed a cart search for the nearest point of relief. I forget a lot of things, such as my scores, but would have remembered it!

I have mainly been playing at Indian Canyons North.  It is cheap, a pleasant walk, the greens are good and the slowest round was still less than 4 hours.  Most of the dogs on golf courses have been in my neighborhood in Palm Desert which is not on a golf course but still has plenty of carts. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back