News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Trenham

Re: New 2022 PGA Venue
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2021, 12:34:28 PM »
JC suggests the Black at Bethpage as a "new contender." That would work.

Weather in northeast isn't necessarily terrible; it's hit or miss. You might get high 80s, or you might get high 40s. You might get sun, or you might get cloud tears.
I totally disagree, May is the month in Philadelphia to most likely provide low humidity and longer days which is critical to having firm and fast conditions.  Additionally the grass is growing slower which is the real challenge in guaranteeing uniform conditions.

Ron, as you and I both know when it "misses" it's brutal. Think Jay Haas PGA Sr............It's never firm and fast in May
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2021, 02:35:36 PM »

4. If they don't bump Oak Hill up a year, or head to Shoal Creek, I surmise that they will go to Aronimink (just had a successful Women's PGA there) or Quail Hollow.

Won't be Aronimink... they're hosting in 2026.

JESII

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2021, 05:13:11 PM »
Suspect if asked, they’d take it 4 years early barring any other conflicts.

JESII

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2021, 05:14:40 PM »
In my opinion, mid May to Mid June has become the best time to play golf in the Philadelphia area. The autumn used to be great but seems to be much wetter than when I was a kid.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2021, 03:05:02 PM »
So this is places that would be great to see but won't happen:

1. Rustic Canyon, just think it would then be overrun and cost $150 to play.
2. Trinity Forest, the pros don't like it, and May not be the best time for fast and firm, but a Coore/Crenshaw course would be great.
3. Philadelphia Cricket Club- held a senior PGA but perhaps not enough money there. Also in NE.
4. Chambers Bay, another one the pros don't like, but would be fun to watch in May.
5. Colorado Golf Club, another Coore and Crenshaw and really long drives

None of these will host the 2022 PGA but it is fun to dream.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2021, 04:00:13 PM »

2. Trinity Forest, the pros don't like it, and May not be the best time for fast and firm, but a Coore/Crenshaw course would be great.
3. Philadelphia Cricket Club- held a senior PGA but perhaps not enough money there. Also in NE.
4. Chambers Bay, another one the pros don't like, but would be fun to watch in May.

It would be great to hold the event at Rustic.  It's been so overrun for the past year it's not even funny.  Hard to get a tee time weeks out.

Chambers would be perfect for a PGA.  It got a bad rap last time but it's a really good golf course.  Angles DO matter at Chambers with firm and fast conditions.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2021, 08:17:39 PM »

I think it was Golf magazine that put Chambers Bay as one of their top picks. They pointed out that the greens have been fixed and the great weather.

I see it as a strong contender.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom_Doak

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2021, 08:31:20 PM »

I think it was Golf magazine that put Chambers Bay as one of their top picks. They pointed out that the greens have been fixed and the great weather.

Yes, if they could do an event on emergency scheduling, they might get it in before the greens start turning to Poa annua again!

Rob Marshall

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2021, 08:37:20 PM »

Yes, if they could do an event on emergency scheduling, they might get it in before the greens start turning to Poa annua again!

In Upstate NY every green is predominantly Poa. I’ve never understood the bitching about them.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Terry Lavin

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2021, 08:45:23 PM »

Never. Again.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2021, 09:01:31 PM »
I was just thinking about how in 2022 The BMW Championship is set for Wilmington CC (DE), thus I would not expect PGA to be moved to Philadelphia or  Baltimore.

BTW lots of work going on at WCC South with Andrew Green at the helm.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2021, 06:48:01 AM »

My understanding is that the greens have all been converted to Poa annua.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2021, 07:03:21 AM »

Never. Again.

With the USGA happy with the course, and staging their four ball championship there this year, it is more likely they will seek another Open.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2021, 12:43:00 PM »
I think we need to qualify "Great Weather" in the PNW. In May and June, most days in the PNW are still overcast, cool, and drizzly, even if that is "great" in comparison to winter where its cold, dark, overcast, and raining.

Actual great weather would be say the Bay Area that time of year where its sunny and warm with gentle breezes...  ;)

Tim Leahy

« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2021, 02:57:28 PM »
Speaking of the Bay Area how about Cal Club? The members seem open to outside tournaments hosting colleges and NCGA. Primetime TV on the east coast.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

PCCraig

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2021, 03:58:48 PM »
Maybe they should host it in Mexico?  ;D
H.P.S.

Chris Kane

« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2021, 04:42:33 PM »
Speaking of the Bay Area how about Cal Club? The members seem open to outside tournaments hosting colleges and NCGA. Primetime TV on the east coast.
Would be fantastic to watch, but the PGA won't want to run from one branding crisis (Trump) to another (men-only membership).

Garland Bayley

« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2021, 06:06:21 PM »
I think we need to qualify "Great Weather" in the PNW. In May and June, most days in the PNW are still overcast, cool, and drizzly, even if that is "great" in comparison to winter where its cold, dark, overcast, and raining.

Actual great weather would be say the Bay Area that time of year where its sunny and warm with gentle breezes...  ;)

Kalen,

That is absolute bs.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2021, 06:15:29 PM »

I have long advocated making the PGA international. Most golfing countries have a PGA, so let them be part of the fun. PGA 2022 in Melbourne in December!

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2021, 06:18:06 PM »
Delete
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 06:20:14 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2021, 06:19:30 PM »

I believe the greens were regrassed to poa annua
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2021, 07:11:06 PM »

I have long advocated making the PGA international. Most golfing countries have a PGA, so let them be part of the fun. PGA 2022 in Melbourne in December!

Agreed,

If the PGA ever wants to elevate itself to the level of the other three majors it should travel overseas at least every Olympic year and earn the love of the rest of the world. And there is precedent for the PGA being played in January - the ideal time to play Royal Melbourne.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2021, 07:38:36 PM »
If the PGA ever wants to elevate itself to the level of the other three majors it should travel overseas at least every Olympic year and earn the love of the rest of the world. And there is precedent for the PGA being played in January - the ideal time to play Royal Melbourne.
As you know, it's run by the PGA of America. Two of the other three are never hosted outside the U.S., and the third isn't ever hosted outside of the UK.

It's not going to another country.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2021, 08:44:25 PM »
As you know, it's run by the PGA of America. Two of the other three are never hosted outside the U.S., and the third isn't ever hosted outside of the UK.

Maybe the PGA of America should recognize that their tournament is considered the most expendable of the majors. They can dig in and protect what little recognition they have. Or, they could be proactive, progressive, and try to raise their standing.

The batten down the hatches approach if not secure enough can sink the ship.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2021, 01:35:36 AM »

I understand that - which is why it's always going to be the unloved 4th. And, if we were starting over would three of the four majors be in the United States?
Tennis surely does it better?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back