News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt MacIver

U.S. public’s you’d want to play every day?
« on: January 09, 2021, 09:15:54 AM »
Taking the lead from Tim on Tom’s other thread, what are some of the public U.S. courses you’d want to play every day? This has probably already been a topic, but, Mid-Pines, certainly. I usually stick to courses I have played in these types of discussions, which is limited, so: anywhere at Bandon; is Black Mesa still around?; Bethpage Black is HARD but it probably makes my list. I guess what is notable are the good and fun public’s I’ve yet to play.

Tim Martin

Re: U.S. public’s you’d want to play every day?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 09:19:32 AM »
Shennecossett in my home state of Connecticut is one that I could play every day. If I didn’t have an hour ride each way I would most likely have a membership(season pass).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 09:30:08 AM by Tim Martin »

Bill Gayne

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 09:53:47 AM »
I'm not sure how you define public but when I lived in the area I was a member of the Golden Horseshoe (Williamsburg, Virginia) for several years and never got tired of playing the Gold Course. It's an early RTJ course.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 10:39:32 AM »
Shennecossett in my home state of Connecticut is one that I could play every day. If I didn’t have an hour ride each way I would most likely have a membership(season pass).

First place I thought of.

Then Bethpage Red-plenty of Bethpage Black interest(maybe more) without the stupid narrow fairways and deep rough-and a faster pace due to those factors.
If one choose The Black, they better not have any other activity planned that day.

Aiken Golf Club.
Soule Park.

If we're going to resort, a whole nother kettle of fish

It all depends upon where you are of course.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Allan Long

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 11:44:29 AM »
I would never tire of these (in no particular order):

Rustic Canyon
Santa Anita
CommonGround
Links of North Dakota
Lawsonia (Links)
Wild Horse {Nebraska}

Full disclosure, I am one of the 7 people who has not yet seen anything at Bandon. ;)

I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Rob Marshall

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 02:00:59 PM »

First place I thought of.

Then Bethpage Red-plenty of Bethpage Black interest(maybe more) without the stupid narrow fairways and deep rough-and a faster pace due to those factors.
If one choose The Black, they better not have any other activity planned that day.

Aiken Golf Club.
Soule Park.

If we're going to resort, a whole nother kettle of fish

It all depends upon where you are of course.

+1 for the Red. Really enjoyed it.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Jim Tang

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 02:40:36 PM »
Any of the courses at Bandon although Pacific Dunes would be my first choice.
Any of the courses at Streamsong with my first choice being the Red.
World Woods Pine Barrens
Greywalls

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 02:52:42 PM »
No counting famous, expensive resort courses, I think I have designed eight or nine public courses in the U.S., and only High Pointe and Riverfront seem like courses I would have been happy playing every day.  If The Loop is not expensive enough to be disqualified, then it's an easy choice.

St. Andrews Beach is not in the U.S., but I sure wish it was!

I honestly can't think of many U.S. public courses that clear this bar.  There are probably lots where I'd be satisfied to play my usual golf, but few that would get me out of the house every day, or make me think I didn't want to take another trip.

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 03:09:40 PM »
Aiken would be my choice, but I have very limited exposure.  Still, not interested in playing everyday and it doesn't matter where I play, I would want to travel to see other courses. Frankly, I don't understand the idea to be wed to one course the rest of one's life. The world is a big place, why limit variety?

Happy Hockey
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 04:31:33 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Matt MacIver

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 04:37:23 PM »
The world is a big place, why limit variety?

I agree - so I guess I’m looking for courses where it’s different every day based on lie, wind, pin, tee.  A rare breed.

I’ve been watching Kapalua this weekend, there’s one hole where if you come up short of the green all the balls funnel to the same place and you could end up in a divot - how can that be!

Ira Fishman

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 04:45:57 PM »
I have not played them, but surprised to not see some Gca.com favorites mentioned so far in the category of not destination resort courses:

George Wright
Cape Arundel
Pacific Grove
Leatherstocking
Lawsonia
Sweeten’s Cove

For me, there is a Joe Lee NLE that would come close—Plum Tree National in Illinois. I also could play Hog Neck in Easton MD pretty regularly.

Ira

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2021, 05:54:38 PM »
Belmont Hills Belmont, OH
Bethpage Green
Immergrun
Sleepy Hollow OH
Avon Fields

Brian Brown

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2021, 06:06:34 PM »
Agree with everyone else who mentioned Bethpage Red. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 06:08:45 PM by Brian Brown »

John McCarthy

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2021, 06:12:19 PM »
I could play The Warren Course everyday.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2021, 06:12:43 PM »
Belmont Hills Belmont, OH
Bethpage Green
Immergrun
Sleepy Hollow OH
Avon Fields

+1 for Sleepy Hollow (OH).  That has been one of my hidden public gems for more than a decade.
Sand Valley
Palm Beach Par 3
Taconic
Grindstone Neck (9)
Kapalua

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2021, 06:13:54 PM »
Agree with everyone else who mentioned Bethpage Red.

I could play the front 9 of the Blue every day as well.  Favorite 9 holes on the property.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2021, 06:16:04 PM »
It is a stretch to nominate it for the public list but Sankaty Head would be on my list as well.  Traditionally open to the public after Columbus Day for a few weeks each year.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2021, 06:33:26 PM »
Geoff,

You must be a hedge fund manager to consider playing Taconic everyday off the street!

Here in So. Cal. Rustic Canyon, Soule Park or Coronado would keep me quite happy.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tim Martin

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2021, 06:46:54 PM »
It is a stretch to nominate it for the public list but Sankaty Head would be on my list as well.  Traditionally open to the public after Columbus Day for a few weeks each year.

Geoffrey-The 2021 US Mid-Am will be there in September. 5 stars!!

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2021, 07:47:07 PM »
Geoff,

You must be a hedge fund manager to consider playing Taconic everyday off the street!

Here in So. Cal. Rustic Canyon, Soule Park or Coronado would keep me quite happy.

I'm afraid that far from the truth... I was thinking about the merits of the course and my enjoyment from playing it!  If cost factors into the equation, that is quite a different list but with some crossovers.  It would include a few of these:

Fenwick (9)
Grindstone Neck (9)
Sleepy Hollow (OH)
Coronado (CA)
Memorial Park (TX)
Makefield Highlands (PA) - My home course
Commonground (CO)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2021, 08:34:38 PM »
Geoff,

I'm afraid that far from the truth... I was thinking about the merits of the course and my enjoyment from playing it!  If cost factors into the equation, that is quite a different list but with some crossovers.  It would include a few of these:

Fenwick (9)
Grindstone Neck (9)
Sleepy Hollow (OH)
Coronado (CA)
Memorial Park (TX)
Commonground (CO)

Geoffrey,

Did you play Manakiki in addition to Sleepy Hollow? They make one hell of a pair.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2021, 08:36:42 PM »
Manakiki is a very good Ross course, but it’s been 20 years since I played.  However I remember a layout routes through valleys around the clubhouse that led to some very good holes.

JohnVDB

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2021, 09:36:07 PM »

[size=78%]Ignoring the high priced resorts like Bandon and Pebble, in no particular order:[/size]
[/size]
Pumpkin Ridge - Ghost Creek
Eastmoreland
Wild horse
Pacific Grove
Pajaro
Torrey Pines - North
Rustic Canyon
Barona

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2021, 10:22:45 PM »
Not mentioned so far, but wonderful courses that are worth playing every day:
Indian Canyon.   Spokane
Triggs Memorial.   Providence
Bayside.   About 25 minutes west of North Platte
Sand Hollow.   St. George
Gorge Vale Golf Club.  Semi-private in Victoria, VI
LuLu.   North side of Philly

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2021, 10:40:00 PM »
Geoff,

Fenwick (9)
Grindstone Neck (9)
Sleepy Hollow (OH)
Coronado (CA)
Memorial Park (TX)
Commonground (CO)

Geoffrey,

Did you play Manakiki in addition to Sleepy Hollow? They make one hell of a pair.

JK,

Played both, love both.  You would be hard pressed to find a city with two courses in their park system that are better than those two.  IMHO, Sleepy has the edge between the two because of the scale of the course, the diversity of the design and I remember Manakiki needing some tree removal to recapture the width Ross probably had when it was first built.  There are also so few Thompson courses in the US relative to Ross and Charlie Sifford's history at Sleepy adds to the experience.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back