News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MKrohn

Re: Where would you play your last round?
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2021, 03:44:02 AM »
Whilst you guys love the Monterey Peninsula and rightly so, I'm not from there but have a decent coast in my home town.

Think I would play NSW Golf Club on a late summer afternoon, stand on the hill on 5 and be happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYZQWSROF3Q

Carl Rogers

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2021, 08:03:19 AM »
Overton Park muni in Memphis--same place I played my first.
Same here!
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

David Davis

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2021, 08:35:34 AM »
Do I get to choose when? If I can choose when then where is not so relevant. If I get to choose both then I'd say the Old Course on a warm summer day in 2070, shortly after my 100th birthday.

If I don't get to choose when I will say Cypress Point.

The thought is I would have more fun playing the Old Course when I'm 100 as opposed to most other courses I can think of and walking off where it all began has a rather romantic feeling to it.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2021, 09:16:58 AM »
It would have to be The Old Course

Richard Fisher

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2021, 11:04:12 AM »
Apologies if this has been cited before on GCA but there was a lovely, elegiac piece by the late Dai Davies (British golf writer of distinction for The Guardian, Birningham Post and elsewhere) on precisely this theme in Golf Monthly a few years ago: knowing he was terminally ill Mr Davies selected RNWGC Brancaster for a final earthly foursome, a choice with which I suspect a number of us might concur.

Phil Burr

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2021, 01:38:27 PM »
All 27 holes at Morfontaine, followed by dinner at La Maison Du Jardin in the 6th arrondisement and a late evening Bateaux Mouches cruise along the Seine.  Scatter my ashes in the river Cher at Chateau de Chenonceau.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2021, 11:49:36 PM »
I want to say NGLA but I know it would be my home course (Hackensack) where I played so many rounds with my Dad.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2021, 08:57:10 PM »

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2021, 09:43:26 PM »
Shinnecock---assuming I had the distance I had 20-40 years ago

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2021, 11:18:16 PM »
Do I get to live on or is the world going to end? That would make a difference.
I think that's a very important question.
If I get to live on, I'd like to play Ballyneal.
If the world is going to end, I'd like to play Fishers Island.
If the world's going to end and yet somehow I get to live on, I'd like to play Walton Heath: I want be close to a city like London afterwards, you know, for the culture and nightlife.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 11:44:11 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2021, 12:40:16 PM »
As I did on Tom's thread regarding "playing the only same course every day for as long as you live", I have compiled the responses to this thread. 

There were 30 ballots cast and I counted them the same way as on Tom's thread (if 1 course is named it gets 1.00 points, if two courses are named they each get 0.50 points, if three courses are names they each get 0.33 points, etc etc.  As the question was not limited to USA courses or any geographic region, all votes are counted in the following and the most courses names on any ballot was four.  A total of 34 courses were named (23 in USA and 11 overseas).  Interestingly, of these 34, 7 were the GCAer's "home" course of the first one they played (6 in USA and one in New Zealand).

Here are the top vote getters.  Note that the numbers after the course name are:

--points earned per the formula described about 6 lines above
--total times mentioned on ballots
--position on GOLF Mag's 2019 World Top 100 list (NR=did not make list)
--position on top100golfcourses.com World Top 100 list (NR=did not make list)

* signifies a home or first course played for the voter

1.  Cypress Point       4.25       5      2     1 
2.  TOC                    3.00       3      3      9
3.  Royal Dornoch     2.00       3     10    12   
4.  Overton Park*      2.00      2      NR   NR  Tennessee
5.  Ballyneal             1.83       3     57    47
6.  Shinnecock Hills   1.50      2       4      3
7.  Yale                     1.00     1      83     NR
8.  Hackensack*        1.00     1       NR   NR   New Jersey
9. New South Wales   1.00     1       46   48
10. RWN Brancaster   1.00     1       NR   NR  England
11. Morfontaine         1.00     1      41    39
12. North Shore*      1.00     1      NR   NR   New Zealand

Of the 34 courses, 21 are on the latest (2019) GOLF Mag World Top 100 listing, and the other 13 are not.
Of the 34 courses, 18 are on the latest (2019) top100golfcourses.com Top 100 listing, and the other 16 are not.

Detailed results for Tom's thread are listed on Reply #142 (from moi) on that thread ("A Course You Could Play Every Day").  Cypress came in #1 there as well.  Not surprisingly, the really tough tests (e.g. Oakmont and Shinnecock) garnered zero votes on his and a few on mine.

Will try to answer any ?? you might post on this thread.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2021, 01:27:47 PM »
First 9 - County Down
Second 9 - Old Course
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

archie_struthers

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2021, 08:24:38 PM »
 8)

Senor Krohn   all I can say is wow ! that video takes my breath away.  Hope that I can get there some day

MKrohn

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2021, 04:50:02 AM »
8)

Senor Krohn   all I can say is wow ! that video takes my breath away.  Hope that I can get there some day

Can host Archie..........hopefully a beer and dinner post, assuming its not the last !!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2024, 02:44:51 PM »
I was right.  I played Pacific Dunes Tuesday afternoon under sunny skies and a one club wind.  I was chauffeured in a cart.
Averaged about .086 and kept the shortstop busy, but hit some line drive singles at the end.  I was wondering what was I doing out there, it definitely wasn't golf.   Was going to play Sheep Ranch, and (later this year) Bar Run to keep my every golf course in Oregon intact.
But those would have been a waste of my time and money because I now suck at golf.

It was a wonderful run, multiple overseas trips for 40+ years and meeting a lot of great people.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2024, 03:06:32 PM »
Himalayas putting green at St Andrews (or an equivalent).
Started out putting. Would be appropriate to finish the same way.
Atb

Carl Johnson

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2024, 04:39:58 PM »
Home course with the usuals.  Last week four of us played on Tues.  When we showed up Thurs., only two days later, we learned that one of the four ball had died earlier that morning.  Maybe I have no right to say this, but I'll bet that he got what he wanted had the question been asked of him.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2024, 05:00:43 PM »
Home course with the usuals.  Last week four of us played on Tues.  When we showed up Thurs., only two days later, we learned that one of the four ball had died earlier that morning.  Maybe I have no right to say this, but I'll bet that he got what he wanted had the question been asked of him.
I want to echo this. I lost a close friend of mine to cancer late last year, somehow suddenly and not suddenly at the same time. Our last round together was a number of months earlier at Jimmy Clay, a muni in Austin. Never our first choice, but it didn't matter. What matters is that, if that were my last round, I'd be happy it was with a close friend.

I don't love golf for the courses, I love golf because it's a fun way to spend an afternoon with good people. Even with strangers, I'd rather be paired up than play solo. The architecture just makes that experience all the more pleasant, but I'm perfectly happy at a Doak 1 if there's "good craic" as they say.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 05:03:51 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

John Handley

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2024, 06:26:12 PM »
For personal reasons, it has to be Cal Club.

But for the walk up 18 for the last hurrah, hard to beat the Old Course.

2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Mike Hendren

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2024, 07:09:43 PM »
Rolling Hills CC in Ripley, Tennessee where I grew up.  None of the other kids played so 90% of my golf was solo.  The rest with Dad and his older friends: a retired mailman, the dry-cleaner, the bank president, the owner of Ben Franklin 5 & 10, the town photographer, and the local optometrist. 

I go back every year.  For me, that little course is the piece of land that holds the world together.  I love it so.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2024, 10:05:51 PM »
I played my last round at Augusta, but Pebble would be my first choice, St Andrews 2nd, Pine Valley 3rd, Sawgrass last
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Sam Morrow

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2024, 11:47:35 PM »
There are so many great options but I think my last round would be more about whom I'm playing with and not where.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2024, 12:42:48 AM »
Given my quest to play as many as possible the most likely answer would be "somewhere I haven't played yet!"

But beyond that I would have to say Cypress Point, RCD, Sand Hills, or one of the clubs I have belonged to over the years where I have friends and memories.   If Tommy Williamsen is coming down to Musgrove then it is a no-brainer.  That is where it should be!!
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Niall C

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2024, 04:36:34 AM »
I played my last round at Augusta, but Pebble would be my first choice, St Andrews 2nd, Pine Valley 3rd, Sawgrass last

Cary

Nice finish. Did you know it was going to be your last round when you played it ?

Niall

Darragh Garrahy

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2024, 08:31:41 AM »
Fishers Island for me- ethereal place I thought.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back