News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

7 Mile Beach, Hobart, Tasmania
« on: November 30, 2020, 03:34:53 PM »
Looks like something else golf wise will be coming to Tasmania - https://7milegolf.wordpress.com/
Thoughts from Downunder?
Atb

Jonathan Webb

Re: 7 Mile Beach, Hobart, Tasmania
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 04:45:31 PM »

Mike_Clayton

mike_beene

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 11:36:03 PM »
How close is this to the other courses? I can look at a map but have no feel for the island at all. Is Tasmania a popular golf destination or more a place that appeals to a small niche who are very serious about this stuff. And I always wonder about what wild animal will bite or eat me.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 01:05:29 AM »
How close is this to the other courses? I can look at a map but have no feel for the island at all. Is Tasmania a popular golf destination or more a place that appeals to a small niche who are very serious about this stuff. And I always wonder about what wild animal will bite or eat me.
Looks like a 3 hour drive from Launceston to Hobart, so close to 5 hours from Barnbougle.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 01:20:32 AM »
Looks like a 3 hour drive from Launceston to Hobart, so close to 5 hours from Barnbougle.

Hobart to Barnbougle is just under 3.5 hrs - and it's a beautiful drive.

Mike,

Barnbougle is a really popular golf destination - but King Island (Wickham) aside there is very little worthwhile golf in Tasmania. Worthwhile in the sense of flying there from mainland Australia to seek it out and play. It's a beautiful island though with so many things to do. Having a Barnbougle-type quality course in Hobart would double to island's golf tourism.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 03:19:41 AM »

Hobart to Barnbougle is just under 3.5 hrs - and it's a beautiful drive.

Mike,

Barnbougle is a really popular golf destination - but King Island (Wickham) aside there is very little worthwhile golf in Tasmania. Worthwhile in the sense of flying there from mainland Australia to seek it out and play. It's a beautiful island though with so many things to do. Having a Barnbougle-type quality course in Hobart would double to island's golf tourism.
Mike,

It appears Seven Mile Beach is more convenient transportation wise than Bridport with Hobart Airport so close.

Do I understand this correctly? Would this appeal to the Melbourne golf crowd for,say, long weekends?
Tim Weiman

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 09:38:59 AM »
Tim:

Yes, the site in Hobart is very close to the airport [all the courses there are] so that would be appealing, especially for people in Sydney, who can't fly to King Island direct.  From Melbourne there is the option to fly directly to King Island or to the grass airstrip at Barnbougle, which is quite popular.

mike_beene

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 12:01:14 AM »
Thanks for the info. I am going to get a map out and see what Google Earth shows. It is my new way to pretend I am traveling. I guess the big Qantas bird is still flying Dallas-Sidney nonstop? After spending a life in the air this year has been strange. Being home is priceless but different.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 12:11:53 AM »
Tim:

Yes, the site in Hobart is very close to the airport [all the courses there are] so that would be appealing, especially for people in Sydney, who can't fly to King Island direct.  From Melbourne there is the option to fly directly to King Island or to the grass airstrip at Barnbougle, which is quite popular.
Tom,

I’m wondering if you or Mike Clayton might opine on whether Barnbougle would have happened if Hobart had been done first. That airport looks damn convenient.

No doubt many courses have been build in remote places, e.g., Bandon, but still I wonder what you and Mike think in this case.

Thanks.
Tim Weiman

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 02:00:03 AM »
Tim:

Tom,

I’m wondering if you or Mike Clayton might opine on whether Barnbougle would have happened if Hobart had been done first. That airport looks damn convenient.

No doubt many courses have been build in remote places, e.g., Bandon, but still I wonder what you and Mike think in this case.

Thanks.

Tim, I'm not sure - but Mat Goggin told me about this Hobart land almost 30 years ago. He'd played there as a kid and knew then it'd be good for golf.
No matter which course went first, both would have showed great golf in Tasmania was sustainable and that something similar at the other end of the island could also be successful.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2020, 02:50:39 AM »
And there's the not far away Arm End development as well - https://armend.com.au/golf/ - which has been written about herein before, although I can't find the thread.
Begs a couple of questions - have the Tassie Govt/Hobart Govt eased regulations to help such developments and where's the A$ coming from?

atb

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 09:39:59 AM »

Tim, I'm not sure - but Mat Goggin told me about this Hobart land almost 30 years ago. He'd played there as a kid and knew then it'd be good for golf.
No matter which course went first, both would have showed great golf in Tasmania was sustainable and that something similar at the other end of the island could also be successful.

Tim:

Maybe not?  Location is very important.

On the other hand, being willing to take a risk is important, too.  Greg Ramsay had done a full circuit of Tasmania and identified Barnbougle as the best site for a reason -- its waterfront exposure was a big part of getting into the top 100 lists.  Ultimately, though, if Richard Sattler hadn't taken that chance and proved the concept was viable, I'm not sure the people at 7 Mile Beach would have ever made the leap, either.

MKrohn

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 08:07:37 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about the "wild" life, leave them alone and they will do the same.

Stay clear of the locals and with particular reference to refugees from the Australian mainland desperate to convince you how moving to Tasmania is the best thing you could ever do.

Some changes appear to happening at Royal Hobart (for the better, IMO) so with a another new course it becomes a bit more of a destination. Despite my concerns with some residents Hobart is a pretty good town for for bars/restaurants.

Chris Kane

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 08:15:11 PM »
It appears Seven Mile Beach is more convenient transportation wise than Bridport with Hobart Airport so close.

Do I understand this correctly? Would this appeal to the Melbourne golf crowd for,say, long weekends?

Tim, I've long thought that if the courses live up to the promise, 7 Mile Beach will be the best golfing long weekend in Australia by miles (no pun intended).

A short drive to the beautiful city of Hobart, MONA museum, terrific restaurants, distilleries (Sullivans Cove etc). And next to the airport as you pointed out.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2020, 08:36:24 PM »
Tom, Mike and Chris,

Thanks for your perspectives.....your different perspectives.
Tim Weiman

Thomas Dai

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2021, 03:33:11 PM »
Recent announcements on this development seem to have gone under the radar herein.
..............?

Atb

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2021, 12:53:19 PM »

Tim, I've long thought that if the courses live up to the promise, 7 Mile Beach will be the best golfing long weekend in Australia by miles (no pun intended).

A short drive to the beautiful city of Hobart, MONA museum, terrific restaurants, distilleries (Sullivans Cove etc). And next to the airport as you pointed out.
Chris,

Sounds like you agree with Tom’s point that having someone taking the risk is critical.

It gets me thinking about NGLA in its day. I wonder what the perception of risk was back then.....based on both location and the state of golf in America. Pine Valley, by contrast to NGLA, was very close to a major city.
Tim Weiman

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2021, 09:27:12 PM »
I'm really looking forward to this project and Arm End being completed.

If it wasn't already - Tasmania will be soon pushing the Sandbelt as "THE" destination for a weeks golf in Australia. Definitely on the public access trail.

King Island = Cape Wickham + Ocean Dunes [public access]
NE Tas = Barnbougle + Lost Farm + Bougle Run "new" [public access]
SE Tas = Seven Mile Beach + Arm End [public access]

Daryl David

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2021, 10:33:45 PM »
I'm really looking forward to this project and Arm End being completed.

If it wasn't already - Tasmania will be soon pushing the Sandbelt as "THE" destination for a weeks golf in Australia. Definitely on the public access trail.

King Island = Cape Wickham + Ocean Dunes [public access]
NE Tas = Barnbougle + Lost Farm + Bougle Run "new" [public access]
SE Tas = Seven Mile Beach + Arm End [public access]

Agree, but definitely not pushing the Sandbelt as for easy drive between first tees.  ;D

Thomas Dai

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 12:43:37 PM »
For those who have not yet picked up on the news about this now Clayton, DeVries and Pont project have a look at the ever more detailed project website
https://7milegolf.wordpress.com/
Atb

Later edit - see - https://share.fireside.fm/episode/Zud1rXL6+0ORo89z - Good Good Podcast No62 for more details from Mike Clayton and Matt Goggin
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 04:26:13 AM by Thomas Dai »

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2021, 07:02:59 PM »
Good news for Tassie and Australian golf that Matt Goggin's 7 Mile Beach course will be going ahead. Well done Clayts on getting the gig to design it. It will be a great complement to the course at Arm End we are designing that is expected to go into construction late this year all going well. Greg Ramsay identified the site and remains part of the development team. The Arm End golfing terrain on a narrow peninsula jutting out into the Derwent River is incredibly spectacular and very different from the sand dunes of 7 Mile Beach and these two courses together will be a brilliant drawcard for visiting golfers to come to Hobart and the south of Tassie. https://armend.com.au

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2021, 01:34:50 AM »
Good news for Tassie and Australian golf that Matt Goggin's 7 Mile Beach course will be going ahead. Well done Clayts on getting the gig to design it. It will be a great complement to the course at Arm End we are designing that is expected to go into construction late this year all going well. Greg Ramsay identified the site and remains part of the development team. The Arm End golfing terrain on a narrow peninsula jutting out into the Derwent River is incredibly spectacular and very different from the sand dunes of 7 Mile Beach and these two courses together will be a brilliant drawcard for visiting golfers to come to Hobart and the south of Tassie. https://armend.com.au
Neil,

Thanks for giving us this update. Happy to see Greg Ramsay is involved. He is a hero to us GCA junkies.

Could you also be so kind as to let us know how your book is coming?

Thanks very much.
Tim Weiman

James Reader

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2021, 07:50:54 AM »
Great or successful?

https://7milegolf.com.au/2021/07/03/great-or-successful/

“if the prettiest tree in a forest of pretty trees falls down, how do we know it was the prettiest ? [/color][/size]And [/color][/size]how many more trees do I need to cut down to get a Doak 9 ?” [/color][/i] :D

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2021, 07:48:33 AM »
re: related news articles - I'm excited to hear that there might be room for another 18 holes on the land.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back