News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Leahy

Re: " The Match" @ Stone Canyon ( Jay Moorish, 2000)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 05:51:48 PM »
+1 my arse! :P

Please end this! I would rather watch Law & Order reruns. :-\
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 06:17:13 PM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 06:16:23 PM »
Commentators said it cost $33-million to build, with $8-million just spent on dynamite  :o ::)  Insane!!!

It looks awful; rocks everywhere. [size=78%] [/size]

Drew Harvie

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 06:30:04 PM »
I was contemplating driving 2 hours from Phoenix to Tucson to see some of the courses there. Stone Canyon is always higher on the Best in State lists, so it was one of the options. Drove to Apache Stronghold instead for the third time. Think I made the right call watching this

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 08:00:18 PM »
The surprising thing to me is all the trees on the perimeters of the holes. I don't think they were there naturally?

Steve Salmen

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 08:25:20 PM »
Having never been to either course in person, it looked no more or less interesting than Shadow Creek on television, to me.  If anyone has seen both courses, is one clearly preferable to the other?  Thank you.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 09:05:51 PM »
Having never been to either course in person, it looked no more or less interesting than Shadow Creek on television, to me.  If anyone has seen both courses, is one clearly preferable to the other?  Thank you.

At Shadow Creek you can forget that you are in the desert.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 09:30:53 AM »

At Shadow Creek you can forget that you are in the desert.

Tommy

That may be so, but what about the golf ? I haven't seen the course other than the pictures above but I'm struggling to see what is so offensive about the design. That said, maybe Tim's objection was to the pro-am format rather than the course. Personally I don't mind that because you are likely to see a lot more of the course following amateurs rather than a bunch of pro's largely playing regulation golf.

Anyway, is the course any good ?

Niall

Phil Burr

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 10:15:03 AM »
Stone Canyon looks like any number of North Scottsdale courses whose land was made borderline suitable for golf solely only because Albert Nobel invited dynamite.  If they spent $8.5 million on explosives at Stone Canyon, then Fabio had to spend at least $8 million at Estancia.  And both Troon North courses are located on Dynamite Blvd., which I doubt was named for Jimmy (“Good Times”, not the PGA champ) Walker’s catchphrase.  Some holes conjure up the fantasy holes drawn by the great Bud Chapman (see below).

To Tim Leahy’s question about Curry’s +1 handicap, I’d say his home course must be bunkerless.  His attempts to play from greenside traps were a desperate, hastened swipe that made it look like he’d never played such a shot before.  His long game exhibited the unhurried pace and effortless power of many great players, which made his sand play look so mismatched.

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 10:26:56 AM »
So, cost and construction methods aside, what about the course design ?

Niall

Steve Sayre

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 11:15:04 AM »
Curry's home course is the Cal Club = plenty of pretty MacKenzie bunkers.

I'll preface by saying I haven't watched the broadcast.

I'm a bit taken back by the negativity on the thread around the event and the course. First, if you want to hang with four uber elite athletes who are funny and fun, you can't do much better than these guys. It's entertainment, which gives it a big leg up on most of the PGA Tour fall events. And it's a nice diversion from all the madness and sadness, right?

The course is fine. I have played it and most Scottsdale area courses, and I think this is a Doak 5, well above the "average" AZ course, albeit with some awkward green to tee transitions and a couple goofy rock placements. Moorish had plenty of talent and there are plenty of interesting angles and greens. The trees do not encroach and the overall setting and beauty of the course is spectacular.. The club is full of nice folks who just want to play in 72 degree sunny weather every day all winter long. This business about money and dynamite --- who cares? That was 20+ years ago.

Shadow Creek is clearly an outstanding and superior course. But it really doesn't belong in a desert golf discussion because it was airlifted from Lake Tahoe to greater Las Vegas.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 12:42:15 PM »
Didn't money and dynamite figure pretty heavily in many of the so-called "Golden Age" courses as well? 

Drew Harvie

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2020, 01:24:34 PM »
Didn't money and dynamite figure pretty heavily in many of the so-called "Golden Age" courses as well?

Yale

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2020, 02:37:16 PM »
I don't understand the negativity either.  This was first and foremost about providing an afternoon of entertainment which raised 8 figures for charity.

Phil is always entertaining mic'd up as is Barkley, and Payton got a few jabs in too.  Steph was a bit of misfit with lack of trash talk and quite frankly his game that looked much closer to a 10 than a +1.  it was Barkley who really surprised thou as Phil fixed his hitch (at least for the match) and hit 4-5 fairways and some decent lag putts.

Overall, looked to be a beautiful location and tough to beat the weather this time of year in Southern Arizona...

P.S.  The most jarring thing was seeing those teeny tiny back tees on some rocky ledges, some of which didn't look to be much bigger that 120-150 sq feet.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2020, 02:52:21 PM »
Wasn't this the course that Greg Norman originally designed, and then it was torn up and redesigned before it even opened?

Drew Harvie

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2020, 03:10:46 PM »
Wasn't this the course that Greg Norman originally designed, and then it was torn up and redesigned before it even opened?

I believe that's Mirabel in Scottsdale, although I could be wrong

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2020, 04:14:51 PM »
Commentators said it cost $33-million to build, with $8-million just spent on dynamite  :o ::)  Insane!!!

a quick Google search shows the development went bankrupt twice and then Phil stepped in to rescue it. He added a $4 million dollar clubhouse.  Its all part of his M collection of properties which I guess is like the Dormie network except all are based in Arizona.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2020, 05:34:04 PM »
Anyone bothered by the fact the call these things “The Match”? “The Match” was a great read. These things are nothing remotely similar to the match.

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2020, 05:48:00 PM »

I believe that's Mirabel in Scottsdale, although I could be wrong

Norman designed Stone Canyon in Missouri.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2020, 06:55:49 PM »
Yes,  the property where Mirabel sits was originally to house a tough, high end daily fee course designed by Greg Norman, called Stonehaven.  After Stonehaven was fully built and in the grow in stage (approximately 2000), the entire development was sold to Discovery Land Company .  Discovery Land decided the course was too tough for its concept, brought in Tom Fazio, plowed Stonehaven under, and built Fazio's course in its stead.  So, $8 million or $15 million later (depending on whose account you believe), Mirabel Golf Club opened for play as a very high end private club...and seems to be doing very well.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 12:25:22 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Phil Burr

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2020, 08:12:13 PM »
Greg Norman laid out a course in Scottsdale called StoneHaven.  After routing was complete (not sure if ground was broken on construction), the development was scrapped and the property became Mirabel.

John Foley

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2020, 08:10:44 AM »
Was at Stone Canyon 10-12 years ago. One of the most spectacular properties you will ever see. The canyon setting on the par 3 9th hole is one of the most awe inspiring things I've ever seen. Just beautiful.

Some of the course design issues really stuck out. It seemed very narrow. You move from FW to rocks & cactus very quickly. Unless everything is marked as a hazard not sure how you can finish a round the ability to loose a ball is there on every hole. The water feature on the 10th (and the artificial waterfall on short par 3 6th) stand out like a sore thumb. I get you need a water source for irrigation, but putting it where it doesn't effect the play would be much better IMHO.

Integrity in the moment of choice

Bruce Katona

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2020, 09:55:28 AM »
The Round Mound of Rebound and his partner came through!......They were +170 or so odds in Vegas to win, so I'm thinking Phil the Thrill placed a few quid on he and his team mate to cover the jet fuel costs to get there and covered his bet nicely.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2020, 11:12:07 AM »

Steve -

Ive actually played both.
Stone Canyon was immediately forgettable. Shadow Creek had a great vibe and, when I played it in 1998, was very much a luxury novelty. I would not seek out either coyrse again. BUT, if I was in Vegas and a great group of friends asked me to play SC, I wo0uld.,...;p-)

That broadcast was painful:

1. Lefty "chirping" was the only highlight.
2. Steph Curry played like a solid "4" not a +1.
3. Peyton played like a "solid 8-10"
4. Chuck is a total chop but fun to watch....;-)

Had it on in the basement while I cleaned my clubs and practiced putting.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2020, 11:42:20 AM »

P.S.  The most jarring thing was seeing those teeny tiny back tees on some rocky ledges, some of which didn't look to be much bigger that 120-150 sq feet.
Yeah the ledges I would imagine aren't used as often? Seems to be tough to keep up with for par 3's with divots in such a small area. Can't recall if it was on any of those.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back