News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

Allestree Park GC to close
« on: November 18, 2020, 04:17:56 AM »
https://www.thegolfbusiness.co.uk/2020/11/two-golf-clubs-close-down-for-good/

In Derbyshire, the Harry Colt-designed 18-hole Allestree Park Golf Course has been told it must permanently close at the end of December.

Its local council had wanted to sell the municipal venue because ‘the course operated significantly below capacity and at a deficit on a consistent basis, which was unsustainable.’

Four bids were received to run the golf course but none of them were able to demonstrate they were viable, stated the council.

Robin_Hiseman

Re: Allestree Park GC to close
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 07:28:43 AM »
James Boon and I took a walk around Allestree a few years ago. He knows it well and will hopefully chip in when he reads this.

It's one of those courses, like Meyrick Park in Bournemouth, or Hazlehead, in Aberdeen, that could be quite something with a sensitive restoration. It was beat up when I saw it, but the potential was clear.

I wonder if it will garner the same support that Cleeve Hill has.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 07:59:39 AM »
Andrew Picken from Golfshake.com emailed me about Allestree the other day. He is trying to get a Cleeve-like campaign going to save it, but the timetable doesn't look too encouraging. Anyone interested in being a part of such a campaign, message me and I'll put you in touch with Andrew.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

James Boon

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 02:05:57 PM »
Allestree certainly has some potential to be a wonderful parkland course, but the council ran it as a municipal and it was never in great condition when I played it though that was only a handful of times to be honest even though I've always been relatively local. I believe it was actually a John Morrison design rather than Harry Colt, otherwise there might be more chance of getting people excited about saving it?

There is some interesting topography with one really sharp downhill hole that gets a lot of use by locals sledging in the winter, plus a wonderful par 3 over a wooded stream followed by a par 4 with a green just in front of the Hall (though its about the 6th hole IIRC) rather than the finishing hole it should be!

Part of the Hall is also used as the clubhouse. One of the main problems is that the park the golf course is in forms the grounds for the grade II listed Allestree Hall, that the council also own and are looking to sell on as they cant afford to maintain it. The Hall could make a great venue for a hotel or similar facility but there are already a number of golf and hotel set ups in that area north of Derby so that isnt an attractive proposition to potential buyers. I'm not sure exactly where the sale of the Hall has got to (though could easily find out) but believe there is a preferred buyer and he has no interest in the course as far as I'm aware.

I also feel that while some public land works well being shared between the general public and a gold course, rolling parkland doesnt seem an ideal fit for golf and the public, perhaps because of the perceived view of the condition the golf course should be in, green, manicured and well defined???

I'd love to see Allestree saved, but with some of the complications around the Hall and wider parkland I dont hold much hope?  :'(

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back