News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Erik J. Barzeski

Re: Putting
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2020, 06:50:53 PM »
If you read my post, you would see that that is exactly what I try to do. :-)
I could/should have been clearer that I wasn't addressing you specifically.

Many will take "trying to make it" as ensuring the ball gets to the hole. Which then leads to the distribution being centered past the hole, and more three-putts.

Our rule is don't leave a putt inside 12 feet, maybe 15 feet, short, and hit putts outside 30' the distance of the hole. (This doesn't apply to super-slick putts or other odd or tricky ones.)
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

David Ober

« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2020, 08:28:57 PM »

Many will take "trying to make it" as ensuring the ball gets to the hole. Which then leads to the distribution being centered past the hole, and more three-putts.

Our rule is don't leave a putt inside 12 feet, maybe 15 feet, short, and hit putts outside 30' the distance of the hole. (This doesn't apply to super-slick putts or other odd or tricky ones.)

Your rule is wise. :-)

Tim Martin

« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2020, 08:26:35 AM »

What’s your rule for the “super-slick or other odd or tricky ones?”

David Ober

« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2020, 12:18:46 PM »

A 15-footer that is super-slick or tricky is treated much like a 50-footer. You are trying to get the SPEED right and trickle the ball in on the last roll.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2020, 08:32:37 PM »
Playing at an early Doak, Riverfront, the putting problem, for me, is green reading and putter alignment even after playing there for more than 15 years.
At present, I use an old Taylor Made heel balanced TM 880 with Superstroke grip w/ strong alignment aids.  I have large hands.  I like to look down at white ball with all markings out of sight.
I have tried expensive putters with no benefit.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 11:33:42 PM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Matt MacIver

« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2020, 09:32:41 PM »
If you’re a bad putter PLEASE aim at the high side and WATCH what happens!  You might make it but if you miss the come backer is easier.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2020, 12:13:49 AM »
slight split grip, right hand predominant for speed, back of left hand squared on the putting line. open stance. The faster the greens, the more I try to get vertical/pendulum with the putter. Left shoulder raised, low takeaway to promote upward strike.

For speed I will watch other putts and rolls and try and calculate how far it will go and compare the actual resort. Use feet for slope. Would prefer to be tending the pin as that helps in reading. Note the color of the grass for slope and grain.

For those of you who read Golf Digest's speed putter article I agree with the caveman theory.

When looking over a putt I will try and find a blemish and watch my virtual putt. If it breaks below the hole I will adjust for more break and continue to make virtual putts until satisfied. Knowing that the hole is 2+ balls wide my putt's finishing position should be less than a foot past and on the low side of the break.

When playing with a caddy I prefer to read my putt, tell the caddy what I see, if there is no agreement will discuss to find out what I am not picking up on the green.

Years ago I decided to try side saddle and after considerable practice was very happy.  On the first hole I had a 4 ft birdie putt and didn't hit the hole on the first two putts.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 08:08:24 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2020, 01:33:07 PM »
slight split grip, right hand predominant for speed, back of left hand squared on the putting line. open stance. The faster the greens, the more I try to get vertical/pendulum with the putter. Left shoulder raised, low takeaway to promote upward strike.

For speed I will watch other putts and rolls and try and calculate how far it will go and compare the actual resort. Use feet for slope. Would prefer to be tending the pin as that helps in reading. Note the color of the grass for slope and grain.

For those of you who read Golf Digest's speed putter article I agree with the caveman theory.

When looking over a putt I will try and find a blemish and watch my virtual putt. If it breaks below the hole I will adjust for more break and continue to make virtual putts until satisfied. Knowing that the hole is 2+ balls wide my putt's finishing position should be less than a foot past and on the low side of the break.

When playing with a caddy I prefer to read my putt, tell the caddy what I see, if there is no agreement will discuss to find out what I am not picking up on the green.

Years ago I decided to try side saddle and after considerable practice was very happy.  On the first hole I had a 4 ft birdie putt and didn't hit the hole on the first two putts.

Wow. That's  too complicated for me. Good on ya for being able to make all those computations.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2020, 05:48:55 PM »
Tommy,
Most of what I do is automatic input. Within six feet usually aim inside high unless I feel a lot of slope. The cup allows for 4 inches of break. My virtual reading is for 5-20 feet where I think I have a realistic chance of making. Will area putt outside 20/30 feet.  Normally will putt within 15-20 seconds as most of my prep work is done while it is others turns to play.

Peter Jacobsen taught me a practice system. @3ft make 10/10, @6ft make 8/10, @10ft make 5/10, @20 feet 3/10, @40ft no three putts. If/when you fail at any stage, head to 3ft. The one time I completed it I immediately went to the first tee. My finish was birdie-eagle-birdie-bogey-birdie and playoff hole birdie.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 08:09:37 PM by Pete_Pittock »

David Ober

« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2020, 07:23:14 PM »
Tommy,
Most of what I do is automatic input. Within six feet usually aim inside high unless I feel a lot of slope. The cup allows for 4 inches of break. My virtual reading is for 5-20 feet where I think I have a realistic chance of making. Will area putt outside 20/30 feet.  Normally will putt within 15-20 seconds as most of my prep work is done while it is others turns to pla[size=78%]y.[/size]

Peter Jacobsen taught me a practice system. @3ft make 10/10, @6ft make 8/10, @10ft make 5/10, @20 feet 3/10, @40ft no three putts. If/when you fail at any stage, head to 3ft. The one time I completed it I immediately went to the first tee. My finish was birdie-eagle-birdie-bogey-birdie and playoff hole birdie.

Nice! What kind of player are you, Pete? :-)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2020, 08:07:39 PM »
Was a 6/8 with limited length. Now 75, all sorts of body problems. If I get back to the course 14.4, usually play about 5700

Steve Lang

« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2020, 12:58:10 PM »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Peter Flory

« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2020, 08:36:58 PM »
I haven't tried this yet, but I've been thinking that a good way to practice putting would be with a ramp device.  Maybe not a $350 ramp like the Perfect Putter, but something similar:

Go randomly pick putts on your course and then commit to a line with the device and roll a few balls until you get one where the speed was perfect (say the ball finishes 2 feet past) and see if your read was high or low.  Over time, this should calibrate your reads. 

People tend to have unrealistic reads with not enough break and then they compensate with their stroke based on instincts.  Taking that out of the equation should help with the pure task of green reading. 

If anyone has already tried this, let me know how it went.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2020, 10:24:51 PM »
Give them a chance but don't get greedy. If you've got a slick downhill 12 footer, six inches short might be just fine, and it's definitely better than six feet by.

A 15-footer that is super-slick or tricky is treated much like a 50-footer. You are trying to get the SPEED right and trickle the ball in on the last roll.

Yep.

Playing at an early Doak, Riverfront, the putting problem, for me, is green reading and putter alignment even after playing there for more than 15 years.At present, I use an old Taylor Made heel balanced TM 880 with Superstroke grip w/ strong alignment aids.  I have large hands.  I like to look down at white ball with all markings out of sight.I have tried expensive putters with no benefit.
"Strong" alignment aids don't mean you can align your putter where you think you're aligning it.

If anyone has already tried this, let me know how it went.

I have done this, and do this occasionally with students. Their reads tend to be low, but improves considerably with AimPoint and a little exposure. They start to realize exactly how much putts will break.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

David_Elvins

« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2020, 07:09:50 AM »
i was a bad putter outside 6 feet.  i feel i am now a good putter.

The tip that turned my putting around was "You have to "hit" the ball".

Using a string line regularly to train my eyes to look down the target line has also helped a lot.

I really enjoy putting now.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2020, 11:50:34 AM »
I use a line on the ball. Once in a while when I got over the ball it wouldn’t look right and I would change or make a bad stroke. John Graham had me do a drill where the putt has to go thru a gate. Straight putts and breaking putts. That gave me the confidence to trust the line even if it didn’t feel right when I was over the putt. Made a huge difference for me.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2020, 01:25:13 PM »
Alignment has been my biggest problem. Most of the time it is the position of my head over the ball. The correct position seems to change. I’ll go to the practice green and putt from five feet until I feel my alignment position of my head are right for that day.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2020, 04:03:28 PM »
I set the putter 1" behind the ball to ensure a positive strike down the line.

Michael Essig

« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2020, 06:16:45 PM »
I play golf right-handed but do everything else left-handed. I used to putt everything right-handed. A case of the yips 10-12 years ago encouraged (forced!) me to putt both right- & left-handed using either a "wide" model Bullseye or the original two-sided Ping. I lag putt right-handed with left hand low and putt most everything inside 10 feet left-handed with right-hand low. Unfortunately I can't say I do either especially well.
I did that when I was young!!  But my Matzie (remember that name) prototype putter broke putting down my golf bag, and I couldn't find anything to replace it; couldn't find a putter flat on both sides.  Spent the last 40 years trying to see the putting line like I could from the left-handed side of the ball; it is a daily struggle.  Left eye dominant worked for baseball, but not for seeing the putting line.

Interestingly, my son is right-handed, plays golf right-handed, except putts left-handed.  When strangers finally figure it out, they always shake their head and ask about it.  He went to the left-handed side when he was about 4 years old and learning to putt using an old Bullseye that allowed him to use the back-side of the putter.  I never stopped him, and it has worked for him for 20 years.

David_Tepper

« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2020, 08:34:01 PM »
"I couldn't find anything to replace it; couldn't find a putter flat on both sides"

Michael -

I am surprised to see you write you could not find a replacement. Bullseye two-sided putters have been made since the 1940's!

https://golftips.golfweek.com/history-bulls-eye-putters-1339.html

DT
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 08:36:54 PM by David_Tepper »

David Ober

« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2020, 01:25:17 PM »
"I couldn't find anything to replace it; couldn't find a putter flat on both sides"

Michael -

I am surprised to see you write you could not find a replacement. Bullseye two-sided putters have been made since the 1940's!

https://golftips.golfweek.com/history-bulls-eye-putters-1339.html

DT

There's also the center-shafted PLOP putter. Brass head. Nice and clean. You can find them on eBay for sure. I have two.

David_Tepper

« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2020, 02:01:37 PM »
David O. -

Yes, those PLOP putters were nice looking and an interesting first step in putter fittings. I think you could order/buy them in different shaft lengths and lie angles. But PLOP did not stay in business very long.

DT

Tim Martin

Re: Putting New
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2023, 05:35:30 PM »
I just watched Max Homa use Aimpoint on 14 at the Masters. “Excruciatingly slow” is as kind as I can muster. ::)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 12:09:00 AM by Tim Martin »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2023, 06:56:09 PM »
I'm thinking of proposing  a  new scorecard at my club with a box somewhere indicating "lip outs" and "almost. "  An Almost is that putt that comes within 2 inches of the hole and we all know what a lip out is. Very frustrating but these putts count for 50% so we can enter a score of 4.5, etc.  ;D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back