News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Any Par 4's converted to Par 3 for a Championship Event?
« on: August 30, 2020, 09:44:53 AM »
We typically always hear about a shorter par 5 being converted to a long par 4 for a pro event. However, have we ever seen a short par 4 converted to a long par 3? I haven't seen this from memory, but with Harding Park 16th hole many were calling it a long par 3 with a tree in the way.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tom_Doak

Re: Any Par 4's converted to Par 3 for a Championship Event?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 10:57:57 AM »
The second hole at The Country Club (Brookline) is a 300-yard par-4 they converted to a 200-yard par-3 for the Championship course, because they skip a couple of par-3 holes on the main course for holes on the Primrose nine.

That's the only one I know of.  Most championship courses already have four par-3 holes and the powers that be are not great fans of having more than that:  it's not the norm.

Adam G

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 12:30:47 PM »
For 2022, they are cutting out the 4th hole of the main course and adding back in the drop shot par 3 12th on the main course. I'm not sure what that means for the 2nd...on the map on Hanse's website it looks like it might play as a par 4 this time around (although in the past has been a par 3). Does anyone know?

Adam_Messix

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 12:55:44 PM »
The 1st hole at Victoria Golf Club in Melbourne is converted from a short par 4 into a par 3 for events like the Australian Open.  I would be curious and our Australian posters can likely answer this question, but I wonder if they shorten the hole as much for gallery movement as for relative difficulty. 

The Championship card at TCC has the 2nd as a par 3 and I think they are keeping it that way for the 22 Open.  I'm sure we will get a confirm from a poster on this soon.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 02:14:02 PM »
Bingley St. Ives used to change its first hole from a short par 4 into a par 3 for the tour event that used to be played there meaning it started and finished with a par 3 which is the only case I know of.

Steve Sayre

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 03:41:18 PM »
Confirming the second hole on the US Open layout for 2022 will play as a par 3. Hanse & Co. have built a new tee which measures 215 to the middle. Hole plays uphill and into the prevailing wind, especially on a summer afternoon. Shallow, difficult to read green. Bunkers front left and greenside left; long are small undulations/bumps and US Open-style rough likely. Don't be long.

The hole played as a 190 yard Par 3 in the 2013 Amateur.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 03:54:49 PM »
Could it be argued that any par-4 or par-5 green complex should be of sufficient challenge to enable it to be played from an appropriate distance as a par-3?
Atb

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 09:01:54 PM »
The 1st hole at Victoria Golf Club in Melbourne is converted from a short par 4 into a par 3 for events like the Australian Open.  I would be curious and our Australian posters can likely answer this question, but I wonder if they shorten the hole as much for gallery movement as for relative difficulty. 

The Championship card at TCC has the 2nd as a par 3 and I think they are keeping it that way for the 22 Open.  I'm sure we will get a confirm from a poster on this soon.

Adam,
The 1st at Victoria was changed once into a 3 - for the 2002 Australian Open. Subsequently Bruce Grant, John Sloan and I redesigned the hole and built a greens complex which could never be realistically used as a par 3 - despite it being a long iron for longer hitters.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back