News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Building a new course over an existing layout
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2020, 02:49:05 PM »
Another good example of building a course over an existing layout is CommonGround near Denver, which was built over the existing (and forgettable) Mira Vista golf course. I have some vague memory that Tom Doak and team routed a number of holes in the areas that had been between the old existing holes, which I thought was an interesting idea.

There is one spot in particular where trees were planted tight on either side of a fairway so that the clearing was only about 100 feet wide . . . and then in the gap from there to the next hole the clearing was 200 feet wide . . . so we moved the hole into the wider clearing!  Luckily, there were only a few holes with rows of trees planted around them; the site was pretty open.

I never actually walked Mira Vista, the only time I saw it before construction there was an inch or two of snow.  But my associates had spent a lot of time there, and didn't want to preserve much of anything, so I just worked on the routing from a topo map paying no attention to where the holes had been. 

Mark Kiely

Re: Building a new course over an existing layout
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2020, 03:01:23 PM »
Just remembered I think this is what Forrest Richardson did to create the current incarnation if Olivas Links in Ventura, and more recently he did it again at Baylands up in the Bay Area.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back