News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

NGLA 1st and 2nd Hole
« on: August 19, 2020, 08:58:48 AM »
Adam’s recent thread about the Biarritz and NGLA had me thinking about NGLA’s start. The first two holes are 330/315 and 330/290 which represent championship and regular tee yardages. Im looking for examples of courses that offer up two short par fours to start the round with anything north of 350 yards not in the running. I’ll offer up the first two at Raynor’s Wanumetonomy at 318 and 313 from the longest set of tees.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 04:23:13 PM by Tim Martin »

Tom_Doak

Re: NGLA 1St and 2nd Hole
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 10:27:27 AM »
I'm sure there are many courses that open with two very short par-4's, but I can't think of another top-100 level course that does, off the top of my head, and certainly not as short as the two at National.

One interesting fact is that when National opened, the starting point was at the 9th green, near Shinnecock Hills, and these two holes were at the turn.  I presume Macdonald always envisioned the grand clubhouse overlooking the bay, but I have never read anything about that, and I wonder whether he always envisioned these two holes would be the starting holes.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 11:31:36 AM »
Not quite Top 100, but Brora opens with two short Par 4s.

Ira

mark chalfant

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 12:24:05 PM »
Tim,
The first two at Raynor's Westhampton are very sporty. I believe both are under 335 yards from the back tee. A creek, cross bunkering and lively green contours add character. The profuse bunkering and fun to play holes throughout this 1915 work of art is a must see for any aspiring golf course architect. The putting surfaces are ingenious and collectively one of the sets I have ever seen.

This excellent course is one of Long Island's most overlooked treasures

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 01:17:42 PM »
Ira and Mark-Those are good ones. There is no requirement that it be Top 100 rather a course that might be known and favored on GCA.

Peter Flory

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 02:09:52 PM »
Cape Arundel almost meets the criteria.  365/ 310. 

That is on my top 10 'want to play with hickories' list. 

Paul Jones

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 02:17:15 PM »
Cape Arundel almost meets the criteria.  365/ 310. 

That is on my top 10 'want to play with hickories' list.

Cape Arundel is the definition of fun for me !!!
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Jason Thurman

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 03:33:15 PM »
It must be worth mentioning Pac Dunes here. I know there are longer tees available, but it must be 90+% of rounds that start with a pair of holes under 335 yards. The short yardage of those first two holes is really the first of many unconventional things about that routing that jumps out to me when I play it.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Ronald Montesano

Re: NGLA 1st and 2nd Hole
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 08:04:02 AM »
I like to say Wanumetonomy more than I liked my one go-round, and I enjoyed the go-round very much. Loads of fun. Unfortunate that there is so much construction going on along the perimeter. Kills a few of the views.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

mark chalfant

Re: NGLA 1st and 2nd Hole
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 09:07:01 AM »
Tim,
Brae Burn, located near Boston, has a fantastic front nine. Donald Ross built two short par fours at the first and second holes there.
Number 2 is especially memorable

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back