News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Cronin

Re: Is the Shot Tracer the best TV golf broadcast innovation ever?
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2020, 01:45:16 AM »
What I think are the best TV golf innovations, many of which have already been mentioned:

1. Color. Frank Chirkinian marveled at how it changed broadcasts when CBS went to color for The Masters in 1966, a year after the U.S. Open and Western Open were shown in color. Old black-and-while telecasts might as well have been newsreel film.

1A. High-definition (and 4K). Color helped with the immediacy of the coverage. Done properly, HD takes you inside the picture.

2. High tracking camera. An ABC innovation, still used extensively at the British (!) Open. Roone Arledge wanted to see the ball against the landscape, not just against the sky. ABC had cameras as high as 250 feet in the air at one time.

3. Hand-held fairway camera. Another ABC first. Shows the shot as the golfer sees it. Debuted around 1974 and revolutionized both the picture and the commentary.

4. Shot-tracking. Perhaps overused, Fox began to use it, partly because its camera crews had great difficulty following the ball in the air at its first U.S. Open. Best used on a graphic overlay of the hole next to the live picture.

5. On-course commentary. Bob Rosburg was the first (1962 World Series of Golf, NBC) and remained among the best until he retired.

6. Slow-motion. Used less on golf than any other sport. Good for swing analysis if the analyzer knows their stuff.

7. Replay and time-delay. The pace of modern telecasts is far different from those through the early 1970s, when directors had to know who played fast and who played slow, because there weren't replay units to capture every shot. Now there are, and "just earlier" is the common phrase to let us know something isn't live. Sometimes, next to nothing is live.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Jeff Schley

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2020, 01:47:56 AM »

Seems overwhelming...... ;)

Thank you Daniel Forsgren, golf will never be the same.[size=78%]

As Sundance is to Butch, Abbott is to Costello, and Elwood is to Jake...... so too is Shot Tracer to Golf. [/size]
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2020, 02:34:44 AM »
The shot tracer is no more accurate than the putt tracer. You guys just believe it is.
When it comes to watching golf on tv, I'm happy to take the blue pill.

Golf on TV is a pill, sleeping pill.

The shot tracer is almost essential these days because ya can't see the ball. In the old days I could see the ball take off, watch the reaction of the player and pretty much know the result. The ball goes so high these days that I can't see the ball take off. It's idiotic for viewing. Do we even need to see the players anymore? Can't we just have layers of graphics as a telecast?

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 02:37:21 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Thomas Dai

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2020, 03:56:05 AM »
Good point about the ball going so far and so far it's not easy to see it these days.
Be interesting to see shot-tracer used on less than full-shots. Maybe the tech and the number of units available isn't there yet.
Given the way techie things progress it might not be too long before it is though and also before we can turn shot-tracer 'on' or 'off' from a TV/phone/whatever remote control.
atb

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2020, 05:59:12 AM »
The Masters in 3D was utterly stupendous. Shame 3DTV really hasn’t caught on (again). That was a waste of £1500!!!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

jeffwarne

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2020, 07:27:42 AM »
Good point about the ball going so far and so far it's not easy to see it these days.

atb

I will say after watching the ABYSMAL attempts on 18 (at the PGA)for the cameraman to follow the ball on #18 day 1 (they missed EVERY shot)
that I value shot tracer more now..

I find it incredibly ironic how people say they "want to see the long ball" (that most can't actually see!)
I'll say it again.(yep I'm going there)
I'm no more impressed by Bubba Watson hitting it 330 at Augusta than I was watching Jack hit it 300
Looks the same, is impressive, and one needs to be told how far it went by ones means or another..

That said-I am a bit fascinated by Bryson's transformation
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 03:36:59 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2020, 08:26:52 AM »
I have never understood the golf swing but don't see how you can say this compares to Bubba.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFm8nRYVVjQ

Garland Bayley

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2020, 10:53:20 AM »
Is it the best golf broadcasting innovation ever?

Yes!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2020, 10:55:33 AM »
What ever happened to seeing the actual ball in the air?...

Yes, what ever happened to the most boring, irrelevant, informationless video in the wide world of sports?

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2020, 11:02:48 AM »
What ever happened to seeing the actual ball in the air?...

Yes, what ever happened to the most boring, irrelevant, informationless video in the wide world of sports?

Which is exactly why it took a master craftsman on air to keep us engaged. Shot Tracer is just another robot making our lives simpler while eliminating a form of artistic expression that we will never get back.

William_G

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2020, 11:19:00 AM »
yes
It's all about the golf!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2020, 11:37:54 AM »
Something that would make the game more enjoyable to watch would be to allow range finders.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2020, 02:02:50 PM »
The best invention is the DVR so that I can FF through commercials, talking heads, the sponsor chat, and players stalking their putts on their green.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2020, 02:59:30 PM »
The best invention is the DVR so that I can FF through commercials, talking heads, the sponsor chat, and players stalking their putts on their green.

I knew I forgot something!
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2020, 05:44:42 PM »
I like shot tracer, and I too am disappointed when it doesn't appear after a shot.  It ain't comparable to the yellow line in football, but it's good.

In fact, I sometimes find myself watching a big curveball by a playing partner and thinking or saying, "Man, that would have looked cool on Shot Tracer!"  No higher praise...
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2020, 06:15:51 PM »
I remember that cameraman who told Jeff Warne how to do his job (I love JW; I'm just breaking balls here.)

My contribution to this thread:

In the jungle, the mighty jungle
the lion sleeps tonight.

A - weee - mah - way.

#DontDismiss
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Emerson

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2020, 11:12:38 PM »
Something nobody has mentioned...painting the hole white.  This is the only reason the hole was painted white in the first place....so tv viewers could see the cup.  Now every ridiculous (non televised) amateur event has it because they saw it on a televised tour event.  I loath it for anything other than tv.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2020, 06:49:46 PM »
The tracer was overdone this week. Why not just animate the whole damn thing?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2020, 07:03:36 PM »
Last two iron shots. Non tracer was better coverage.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2020, 07:22:02 PM »
They used to show the putting lines on greens that players needed to hit to hole it, but I guess they stopped doing that in case someone who hadn't teed off yet was watching and gained an unfair advantage?
Their arrangement with AimPoint expired. For a year or two they tried a cheaper alternative, but it wasn't anywhere near as accurate.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2020, 07:57:21 PM »
Something nobody has mentioned...painting the hole white.  This is the only reason the hole was painted white in the first place....so tv viewers could see the cup.  Now every ridiculous (non televised) amateur event has it because they saw it on a televised tour event.  I loath it for anything other than tv.

My club paints the holes white. I like it. It gives me a better view of the hole from 80 feet.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Rob Marshall

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2020, 08:40:56 PM »

My club paints the holes white. I like it. It gives me a better view of the hole from 80 feet.

I just look at the pin! ;D
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Garland Bayley

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2020, 09:20:38 PM »

Valarie Hogan would advise you to hit it closer, so you don't need the holes painted.

John Crowley

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2020, 05:11:55 PM »
ABSOLUTELY!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back