News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Re: Which par 3s would you gladly take a 4 on?
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2020, 02:06:17 PM »
surprised to see how long it took to mention TPC Sawgrass #17 (and its spawn).
I'd add 16th at Carnoustie and 17th Pebble Beach.
Dithering on Pasatiempo 18.

Edited because I listed the wrong hole number at Carnoustie.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 08:03:29 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Brian Finn

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2020, 02:21:39 PM »
  • 13th at Sand Hills (gladly)
  • 3rd at Carolina GC (lifetime scoring average on this hole is slightly better than bogey, but it often comes with a lot of stress!)
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2020, 02:47:22 PM »
The 4th hole at Newport CC. At 240 yards, with a road and ocean down the left, often playing into a strong breeze off the water, I find it to be really, really difficult.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2020, 02:53:00 PM »
Yale 9.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2020, 03:23:50 PM »
I saw the 5th at Anstruther for the first time last week. 245 yards blind over a cliff edge to a small green perched next to the water. Anything short hits a sloping ‘fairway’ which would take the ball towards the water too. 4 looked a good score.
This is the obvious winner here.  Anyone trying to hit that green in competition is certifiable, the North Sea left, deep rough right.  I suspect everyone in medal play lays up and tries to hit the (quite small) green with a wedge.  I have stood on that tee watching my eldest son dispatching balls into the water, desperate to prove the green could be hit.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2020, 03:37:14 PM »
11 at St Andrews
13 at Sand Hills
17 at TPC Sawgrass
4 at Sweetens Cove

Eric — Sawgrass is kind of a good one in that if you lose your head you could dump a bunch of balls in the water. Similarly if you go in one of the bunkers at the High hole all bets are off. But equally if you were trying to play safe on either hole you’d have to hit a pretty stinking shot to find a hazard. And absent a Godawful tee shot or seventeen  putts I’m not sure how you rack up a big score on the fourth at SC
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Eric Smith

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2020, 04:11:21 PM »
11 at St Andrews
13 at Sand Hills
17 at TPC Sawgrass
4 at Sweetens Cove

Eric — Sawgrass is kind of a good one in that if you lose your head you could dump a bunch of balls in the water. Similarly if you go in one of the bunkers at the High hole all bets are off. But equally if you were trying to play safe on either hole you’d have to hit a pretty stinking shot to find a hazard. And absent a Godawful tee shot or seventeen  putts I’m not sure how you rack up a big score on the fourth at SC

Adam,

These are my nominees for holes I would take a strategic bogey at the tee in a match against my opponent. I would argue the 4th at Sweetens makes a good candidate as many a golfer will find their ball in a position to either three-putt that enormous green or be forced to play away from a pin on their chip back onto the green.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 04:15:28 PM by Eric_Smith »

mark chalfant

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2020, 04:37:17 PM »
17.  French Creek (Hanse)
17.  Merion's Quarry
3.    St. Louis  Eden

11.  Oklahoma City (Maxwell)
11.  Shinnecock Hills
13.  Addington
12.  Skokie
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 04:50:31 PM by mark chalfant »

David Kelly

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2020, 04:47:57 PM »
11 at St Andrews
13 at Sand Hills
17 at TPC Sawgrass
4 at Sweetens Cove
On my only play at the Old Course I came to the 11th at -1 and hit it into the Hill bunker.  I walked off the green at +1.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2020, 05:28:17 PM »
Two holes in St Louis about a mile apart come to mind Glen Echo #11 (244 Yards) and Normandie #18 (250 yards) --both Foulis courses from early 1900's, makes me wonder why long 3's are so rare today as they had to be drive and chip for most when they opened, let alone today. GE has a Par 4 on the front that is ~10 yards longer and I think an easier 3.

Concur with #2 at Kingsley but not #9 --I think the difference is # 2 requires a straight shot where #9 requires distance control and you can't go long or anything is possible. My guess is I have more birdies on 9 than any other hole there and more others on #2.

Paiute Wolf has an Island green in a blustery Desert setting -- what could go wrong? The day I played it was a 30 mph cross wind.

Midland Hills Eden hole is a nemesis of mine

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2020, 05:31:48 PM »
11 at St Andrews
13 at Sand Hills
17 at TPC Sawgrass
4 at Sweetens Cove
On my only play at the Old Course I came to the 11th at -1 and hit it into the Hill bunker.  I walked off the green at +1.

Starting this thread was a long way to go for a classic subtle brag. I admire your skills.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2020, 05:47:13 PM »
14th at Pacific Dunes.
15th at Bandon Dunes.
Lots of times my card will show an X, but that's just Roman numerals.

Maybe Ed Oden can chime in on others at the complex.

John Kirk

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2020, 06:20:12 PM »
Pasatiempo #3 is a very difficult par.  Your chances may be better if you lay up intentionally, but trying to hit the green is such an enjoyable challenge.

Mark Hissey

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2020, 08:24:31 PM »
Shinnecock 11. Kills me every time.

Brock Lynch

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2020, 08:49:47 PM »
Not so much gladly, but more realistically:

#6 & #18 at Brora,  #16 & #17 at Golspie,  #17 at Tain

#16 & #17 at Lincoln Park, San Francisco

Good call on Lincoln Park's closing par 3's. I might try for a 3 on #16, but definitely take a 4 on #17 and move on. Top 5 view on the 17th tee though.

Others I've played...

PGA West #13. Green looks so small running away from you and against the water. I think making a 3 on #6 is less difficult.
Ganton #17. Made 4 there and was very happy.
La Purisima #17. Those that have played there know. Yes, I've seen plenty of 2's and 3's. But, I've also seen many good rounds lost there. Always at least a club and a half up to a three club wind in your face, played over a diagonal hazard, and maybe half a club room over the green before OB kicks in.
Tobacco Road #8. I don't know what club to hit. I might take a 4 on #14 as well.

JESII

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2020, 08:55:52 PM »
Seeing Shinnecock 11 so many times begs the question...would you really take it from the tee and go to 12? Really?

Sawgrass 17, sure.

Charleston #11, in a blink...

But 11 at Shinnecock looks at you like it’s just waiting to catch the ball...

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2020, 09:15:14 PM »
Threes do seem the best of the pars for a question like this. I remember reading how many strokes Corey Pavin 'gained on the field' on Par 3s during his prime years -- and he gained them over the course of a season not be shooting lights out but 'merely' by playing the Threes close to par (IIRC, just a shade over par for the year). There is something strangely 'unforgiving' about Par 3s, even the ones of average length and even for the best golfers in the world. I'd probably take a 4 on every Par 3 I play for the rest of my life and feel that, in the end, I will have done pretty well.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 09:23:50 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2020, 09:29:16 PM »
#3 at The Golf Club

John Handley

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2020, 09:50:51 PM »
#6 at Cal Club
#16 at Cypress Point
Calamity at Royal Portrush
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Bill Seitz

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2020, 12:25:16 AM »
If given the opportunity in stroke play or an important match, which par 3s would you accept a score of 4 on rather than have to play?

3 holes in northern Michigan come to mind:

#9 at Kingsley Club which has basically terrorized me each time I have played it.  I may have parred it in my limited plays there but all I can remember is hitting shot after shot AWAY from the hole.

#2 at Kingsley Club. In a crosswind, this is probably the shortest hole in the world on which I would lay up.

IMO, part of the genius of these holes is that I can take four every time I play them if that's what I'm trying to do.  I think both are pretty easy fours, but the big numbers come when you're trying to make three.  On #2, dump it into the gully on the right, pitch to the back of the green, and two putt.  On #9, miss inside the boomerang, pitch up, and two putt.  Admittedly on #9, the middle shelf is challenging even on a pitch.  I've seen someone hit a pretty good shot to that pin out the middle bunker, grab a rake, clean up, walk to his bag, grab his putter, and walk to the green, only to realize his ball was back in the bunker.  Then again, I've also seen that the hole halved with birdies with that pin.  But there's definitely a fairly simple strategy for making four every time on each hole.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2020, 01:10:47 AM »
#6 at Cal Club
#16 at Cypress Point
Calamity at Royal Portrush
If your second example means a deliberated lay up to the left, no thank you.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2020, 03:23:45 AM »
I'd add 17ths at Carnoustie and Pebble Beach.

You mean 16th at Carnoustie, P.
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2020, 03:39:05 AM »
I'd add 17ths at Carnoustie and Pebble Beach.

You mean 16th at Carnoustie, P.
Cheers,
F.
I was thinking the same.... I'm sure it is the "Barry Burn".
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tim Martin

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2020, 09:30:24 AM »
Seeing Shinnecock 11 so many times begs the question...would you really take it from the tee and go to 12? Really?

Jim-If I was trying to post a score and had the option I absolutely would.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2020, 09:46:28 AM »
If given the opportunity in stroke play or an important match, which par 3s would you accept a score of 4 on rather than have to play?

3 holes in northern Michigan come to mind:

#9 at Kingsley Club which has basically terrorized me each time I have played it.  I may have parred it in my limited plays there but all I can remember is hitting shot after shot AWAY from the hole.

#2 at Kingsley Club. In a crosswind, this is probably the shortest hole in the world on which I would lay up.

On #2, dump it into the gully on the right, pitch to the back of the green, and two putt.  On #9, miss inside the boomerang, pitch up, and two putt.

Bill- I owe you a beer
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back