News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Not one of the Courses By Country so I'll have to count on mates across the water for thoughts on this course. Looking forward to stealing a few glimpses of it. Packed leader board at the moment.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Thomas Dai

Particularly interested to hear what folks think of the 18th hole where a stone wall crosses immediately in front of the green and to the left side - https://closehouse.com/course-flyovers/
atb

Marty Bonnar

Great fun. Scott Macpherson did a cracking job. Lots of wide fairways with options, some gorgeous par 3s, lay of the land routing, sweet detailing. A proper and fitting tribute to Harry!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Scott Macpherson

Hi,

I'm not sure if I should comment on this thread or not due to my obvious vested interests and bias...  :)

I guess I have decided to make a couple of comments... so I hope they are received warmly.

The course sits on the north side of the River Tyne and the holes sit over three tiers. The first hole is at the bottom, and the course plays up the slopes, with the highest green being the 11th. The course when plays back down the slopes and the 18th is parallel to the 1st hole.

I consider only three holes to be 'uphill' – the 2nd, 5th and 10th, the rest negotiate the slopes. I heard Wayne Riley describe the course on the TV today as being like a Wedding Cake made of three layers – and while I hadn't considered that analogy, I can see what he's saying...and like the visual.

The 18 holes are set in three areas. Holes 1,2,3,4, 16, 17, 18 are in one area, holes 5-9, in another and 10-15 in another. While the three areas are intersected by the access driveway to the clubhouse, and the practice facility, there is a hub around greens 4,9 and 15 and this is fun for members who wish to say hi to friends or reduce the round to less than 18 holes.

The routing is very unusual in that each fairway turns 90 degrees or more from the previous hole, and each fairway is a different width and elevation from the previous one. e.g. 1st hole: Plays west, medium width fairway, level hole. 2nd hole: plays North, wide fairway, uphill. 3rd hole; plays east, narrow fairway, slightly downhill. I can't think of another course that features this constant changing (but I'm sure some must??). Certainly, because of this, every hole feels and plays very different from the previous.

The changing directions of the hole also means players must constantly recalibrate the wind direction. Also adjust to the wind strength due to the exposure higher up the course, or when playing through or around the large trees.

At about 6950 yards, the Colt is not a long course, but due to the slopes, the course favours good ball strikers and those who can control their ball flight and spin. For me, this means that more players can contend for the victory and should make the championship very exciting.

The reachable par 4 3rd hole is always a fun hole, and the 7th and 17th holes can given up eagles, and the 13th is a visual showstopper for may golfers at the Colt Course. The par 3s, all offer a different challenges are fun to play.

The greens have noticeable undulation and a good short game is required to score well. I think the 16th green is the most challenging green to read and this is due to the way it slopes into the hill. The players perception of the green somehow gets disturbed and putts become hard to read. The 3rd and 12th greens can have a similar affect on golfers.

The course gets its name (Colt Course) from two places. Firstly because of Harry Colt. He is may favourite architect and given the course is on an old English property, I wanted to design the course as I imagined he may have. Indeed, I visited 43 Colt courses when researching this design. There are no copycat holes, it was more of a theme and feel I was attempting to achieve. Secondly, the owner of the property owns race horses, so the name reflected his passion for the equine industry. The combination seems to have worked well, and if you ever get to visit the tee markers are horse shoes.

There are key dogleg’s on the course where I wanted to put pressure on the tee shot of players e.g. 16. and certainly the course is a test of accuracy - e.g. the 11th tee shot. But equally, it was very important to me that the course had width so golfers had to come up with their own strategy and solve some puzzles by themselves. I figured that maybe if I could get them thinking, then I might find a weakness (because their ball striking if often so good).

You may notice some unique features around the course – like the lake in front of the 15th tees. The wall around the 18th green was an original feature. It need a bit of repair but I really wanted to keep it. We adjusted the lake (which was an old Ice Lake, and there is an Ice House still hidden in some nearby trees), but did, to very little controversy, keep the wall. I hope that the flag is not tucked behind the wall on the final day, but given most players will hit into the green with short irons, the wall is more of a visual hazard than anything. I like to think it focuses a player's attention, and I don't mind it as a talking point.

Visual intimidation is a tool golf architects can use and by keeping some tees low, or hiding landing areas, I have done this. You may notice it on the 2nd hole, 6th hole, 12th hole and 15th. Players become aware of it on the 1st hole. A tee shot on the right side of the fairway is safe but the flag is obscured by a slight rise in the fairway between the landing area and the green. However, a player who has hit their tee shot on the left side of the 1st fairway has a clean sight to the green.

There were a number of challenges in coming up with an 18 hole routing including archaeological features form the Roman period, buried services, protected trees, stone walls etc. The key hole to unlocking the routing was the 16th. Until I found a way to get this hole in, we only had a 17 hole golf course.

One advantage of the course not being open to spectators (and there's not many) is that the course is being played in it's designed routing. In the 2017 British Masters, the course was renumbered and play started on the 5th hole and finished on the 4th, so there was area for the grandstands/tented village etc. This is fine, but I do like the finishing sequence of holes 16, 17 and 18 for the drama. We could see players finishing birdie, eagle and then facing a challenge on 18th. Let's hope.

Enjoy what you see,

Best,

Scott

« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 10:37:51 AM by Scott Macpherson »

Thomas Dai

Thanks for this extensive response Scott.
Nice to hear about the three levels, the use of original features etc. With no spectators there’s more opportunity when watching on the TV to appreciate aspects of the course and the terrain it’s laid out over.
Atb

Mark Pearce

I've said this before but I really like the course which I have probably played more than anyone else here!  I'm surprised Scott doesn't think of 7 as an uphill hole but I think it's a really good one.  It's a really difficult piece of land but Scott did an excellent job in creating a really interesting and enjoyable test.  There are many holes where thought is required (Scott mentions 13 but 8 asks a similar question and almost needs to be thought through backwards, 11 might, lazily, be described as a real "risk and reward" hole but does offer a real advantage to a player confident enough to hit driver through a narrow gap.  There are holes with fairways which are very wide and one or two which feel claustrophobic (16).  I'm really looking forward to catching up with the coverage.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ben Stephens

I've said this before but I really like the course which I have probably played more than anyone else here!  I'm surprised Scott doesn't think of 7 as an uphill hole but I think it's a really good one.  It's a really difficult piece of land but Scott did an excellent job in creating a really interesting and enjoyable test.  There are many holes where thought is required (Scott mentions 13 but 8 asks a similar question and almost needs to be thought through backwards, 11 might, lazily, be described as a real "risk and reward" hole but does offer a real advantage to a player confident enough to hit driver through a narrow gap.  There are holes with fairways which are very wide and one or two which feel claustrophobic (16).  I'm really looking forward to catching up with the coverage.

James Boon and I walked around Close House before the course was opening. Boy it is a steep piece of land and Scott seems to have utilised the layout very well to eliminate a large number of potential climbs by criss crossing the holes across the slopes only 10 is a steep climb however it is a short par 5 (correct me if I'm wrong) and each hole has its own unique character plus there are short par 4s which is music to my ears. It is probably the best modern course in the North East of England. I look forward to seeing the course in its right numbering and in more detail on the TV plus how the pros play it.

Marty Bonnar

Great fun. Scott Macpherson did a cracking job. Lots of wide fairways with options, some gorgeous par 3s, lay of the land routing, sweet detailing. A proper and fitting tribute to Harry!
F.

Full disclosure:
One of my best mates was a Founder Member, so I got to stay in the big house when it was their hotel, before the owner decided he’d quite like to stay in it.
 ;D
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

jeffwarne

How "steep" is the land?

Any chance of posting the original contour map?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Pearce

It is probably the best modern course in the North East of England.
Probably?  I can't think of anywhere close.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adam Lawrence

Really just echoing what others have said. A very tough piece of land and Scott did a pretty outstanding job.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ben Stephens

It is probably the best modern course in the North East of England.
Probably?  I can't think of anywhere close.

Will probably have to rephrase what i said ;D ;D

Ben Stephens

How "steep" is the land?

Any chance of posting the original contour map?

Steep!!

http://www.scottmacphersongolfdesign.com/projects/courses-by-scott-macpherson/close-house-colt-course/ - scroll down to the bottom and there is a contour map

Scott Macpherson

I'm not sure the word 'steep' describes the course's land accurately as a whole. There are certainly some climbs (and descents), but the land is terraced, so there are level holes also. Overall, I seem to recall there is about a 75m difference in elevation between the lowest green (1st) and the highest (11th).

The slopes may be more than you'd choose for an ideal piece of golfing land, but it offers some benefits – i.e the elevation allows for some terrific views and allows shot makers to display their skills. And the fact the course is on the south facing side of the River Tyne means it gets more direct sunlight to help turf growth in the duller winter months and means the course dries more quickly after any rain.

Tom Bacsanyi

Yeah the first thing I thought was if it looks steep on TV then it's got to be really steep. Looks really cool though. I'm up in the mountains around Vail, CO and the course rivals anything we have out here in terms of slopes.

Scott, what was Lee Westwood's role in this course?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 01:15:14 PM by Tom Bacsanyi »
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Adam Lawrence

Yeah the first thing I thought was if it looks steep on TV then it's got to be really steep. Looks really cool though. I'm up in the mountains around Vail, CO and the course rivals anything we have out here in terms of slopes.

Scott, what was Lee Westwood's role in this course?

I'll answer that. No role in the design; he represents the club.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Scott Macpherson

Yes I did the original design before Lee first visited the course for opening day in May 2011 (as World Number 1). But he has since become a fantastic ambassador for the club. And to be fair to Lee, he has consulted on a couple of bunker changes and tweaks to the Colt Course since the British Masters in 2017. He is focused on this playing days at the moment, but he has a genuine interest in design and should the opportunity arise, I would like to work with him on a new course some time in the future.

Cheers,

Scott

Ronald Montesano

I love when people say "I'll answer that."

:'( :'( :'(
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back