News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Evagues

Re: Unique 36 hole days
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2020, 10:01:32 AM »
I've played rounds on different Hawaiian islands in one day a number of times.
Be the ball

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2020, 05:38:34 PM »
I was thinking of the good and bad I have grouped together at one time:

Crystal Downs / Crystal Lake
Lost Dunes / Whittaker Woods
Bridge Haven / Old White

Both very good courses:

Rock Spring and Watchung Valley

The driving a ways I have a few as well:

Kinderlou Forest GC (Valdosta, GA) and Winter Park (Winter Park, FL) 3.5 hours between
Bedford Springs (Bedford, PA) and Elks CC (McDermott, OH) 5.5 hours between

Peter Flory

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2020, 05:47:01 PM »
In the early 80s a group coming back from The Open via the Concorde played one of the Open rota courses [can't remember which], took the Concorde to NYC, played Winged Foot, got on a private jet, and finished Pebble Beach at dusk that night.

Bobby Clampett with George Peper, Hughes Norton and Brian Morgan. The Old Course was the Rota course.

You played in the UK, then NY, then CA in the same day with the aid of a supersonic jet and a private jet?   :o

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2020, 06:09:12 PM »
Chicago Golf Club and Evergreen Golf - indoor glo in the dark crazy golf!
Cave Nil Vino

Andrew Harvie

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2020, 10:26:59 PM »
I've had a couple interesting Canadian ones...

Mickelson National with Greywolf
Kawartha with St. George's a week ago

Kawartha/St. George's was my favorite as it's the two best Thompson's in Ontario, in my opinion.

AJ_Foote

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2020, 03:46:31 AM »
A few years ago, a pair of brothers, members at Royal Adelaide, played Royal Sydney, Royal Melbourne and Royal Adelaide in one day - taking commercial flights.

Andrew
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 03:52:12 AM by AJ_Foote »

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2020, 02:03:26 PM »
Colorado: Not 36, only 18, but a buddy and I played Glenwood Springs, aka "The Hill" (5,700 feet in elevation) and Mt. Massive GC (10,000 feet in elevation) with a drive thru Aspen and over Independence Pass in a day (stunning). Both are 9 holers. If you are ever driving through Colorado on I-70, make a point to stop at Glenwood Springs GC, aka The Hill. A tight piece of property that still plays like a legit course, and some of the most interesting greens anywhere.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Jeff Schley

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2020, 03:57:24 PM »
A few years ago, a pair of brothers, members at Royal Adelaide, played Royal Sydney, Royal Melbourne and Royal Adelaide in one day - taking commercial flights.

Andrew
Great rotation.  I was playing at Bel Air back in 2015 and was in June. I was warming up at the range with my brother as our host passed on the warmup and they have the non-driver range there.  I see a guy walk up with only one iron and says hi how are you and he looks familiar.  It wasn't until we were driving back to the clubhouse I realized it was Jack Wanger and he was down at the range in and out before I could really hit but maybe 10 balls.
Turns out it was June 21st and there is a summer solstice tournament played with members from Riviera, Bel Air, LACC. Riv early, then Bel Air and finish at LACC. Not unique as in this thread, but pretty damn great day.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Joe Zucker

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2020, 03:59:08 PM »
Interesting premise ... playing 36 in a day is not unusual but at least one unusual 36 hole combo I can think of is a day that started on a fun little Ross called Manakiki followed by 18 at Kirtland Country Club.  Similar in their golden age roots but couldn't be more different in that Manakiki epitomizes a "muni" experience (owned by Cleveland Metroparks) while Kirtland is old school blue.  The pull carts, shaggy fairways and tiny greens at Manakiki contrasted vividly with the impeccable brawn of Kirtland.  The day started well with a strong round at Manakiki but I ran out of gas in the valley on the back at Kirtland and limped home.   >:(

I've done a Kirtland/Big Met 36 hole day for quite the contrast.  I don't know if I would say Manakiki epitomizes muni culture because it's a very good course, though it could be much more.  Big Met on the other hand has little going for it and not much potential either. 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2020, 04:02:58 PM »
who is Jack Wanger?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2020, 04:52:19 PM »
He is an actor. Won a few celebrity tournaments over the years.
Be the ball

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2020, 05:14:34 PM »
I played St Patrick’s and Nairn and Port Noo on the same day.  Few people were playing St Patrick’s back then. 

Hopefully both courses are progressing on their improvements in those challenging times.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

jeffwarne

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2020, 06:37:11 PM »
pretty sure it's Jack Wa-g-ner
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Phil McDade

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2020, 08:46:31 PM »
Chicago Golf Club and Evergreen Golf - indoor glo in the dark crazy golf!

Easily the winner for best contrast.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2020, 09:14:30 PM »
I played Strantz’s super hilly and quirky Tot Hill Farm in the morning and the flat as a pancake Tanglewood muni in the afternoon, where Lee Trevino won a major (PGA?) in the ‘70s.  Two courses couldn’t be more different in look, feel, play, etc, fun day. 

Sean_A

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2020, 03:02:39 AM »
I have had thoughts about a

Musselburgh Old
Seahouses back 9
Alnmouth Village
Warkworth

36 hole binge on the way home from Scotland.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Jeff Schley

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2020, 03:12:23 AM »
pretty sure it's Jack Wa-g-ner
Yeah correct.... sorry Jack, apologies for the typo.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2020, 08:47:58 AM »
A documented Jack Wagner sighting has all the flair as a picture of brunch.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 08:50:06 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back