News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Flory

Unique 36 hole days
« on: July 21, 2020, 11:58:58 PM »
I played 2 courses today that wouldn't normally be played in the same day, due to a prior commitment and then the need for a practice round (Skokie + Milwaukee CC).  While that is a rare combo, I would guess that someone has done it before- maybe a home and home.

But that got me wondering- what two courses have you played in the same day where you suspect that you might be the only person to ever do it? 

V. Kmetz

Re: Unique 36 hole days
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 12:29:36 AM »
I know I am (along with my companions that day) to have played:

AM: Century (NY)...a sumptuous, exclusive, and pleasurable US Top 300 Colt-Allison collaboration. An ultra-desirable get even in these considerably rich parts.

and

PM: Sunset Hill (CT) my adolescent first course, an arcane scruffy 2350 yd public first made as a practice course by Gene Sarazen in the 40s. This day, we did the first 9 with three clubs and the second nine with the other 11 we didn't use.

While I can't be certain, I would be somewhat surprised that someone else has played:

WFW & CC of Fairfield (maybe my best total day of playing ever)

and

Fenway & Trump-Briarcliff (maybe my least favorite day of playing golf ever, though it is the foundation of perhaps the single most hilarious bull in a china shop incident I have ever been part of...relax, it was several years before Cheetus I's political ambitions were realized, when he was just a joke for the costly excesses of his burgeoning shit club brand)
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

David Wuthrich

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 09:31:39 AM »
I've done some crazy ones but how about Indianwood in Detroit in the moring and Coldstream in Cincinnati in the afternoon.  Nice little drive in between! ;D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 09:41:41 AM »
I played 2 courses today that wouldn't normally be played in the same day, due to a prior commitment and then the need for a practice round (Skokie + Milwaukee CC).  While that is a rare combo, I would guess that someone has done it before- maybe a home and home.

But that got me wondering- what two courses have you played in the same day where you suspect that you might be the only person to ever do it?

You're not thinking big enough:  you need to think private jets.

In the early 80s a group coming back from The Open via the Concorde played one of the Open rota courses [can't remember which], took the Concorde to NYC, played Winged Foot, got on a private jet, and finished Pebble Beach at dusk that night.

One of my clients did something similar with his own jet:  Sebonack, Ballyneal, and west coast [can't remember if it was Pacific Dunes or Stone Eagle] all in the same day.

I have done a couple of very unlikely combinations, by playing a super-exclusive private place in the morning, and a roughed up course where the privileged would probably never go, in the afternoon. 

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 09:42:45 AM »
Don't recommend this, but was the first tee time at Royal County Down last June 7:30 I believe.  Was the last tee time of the day at Lahinch at around 5:30 pm.  About a 4:30 hour ride between IIRC and the only way we could fit in Lahinch.
Yes it was not easy as the drive to Lahinch was a bit of a rush and man we slept well after that.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Brad Steven

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 09:52:04 AM »
Interesting premise ... playing 36 in a day is not unusual but at least one unusual 36 hole combo I can think of is a day that started on a fun little Ross called Manakiki followed by 18 at Kirtland Country Club.  Similar in their golden age roots but couldn't be more different in that Manakiki epitomizes a "muni" experience (owned by Cleveland Metroparks) while Kirtland is old school blue.  The pull carts, shaggy fairways and tiny greens at Manakiki contrasted vividly with the impeccable brawn of Kirtland.  The day started well with a strong round at Manakiki but I ran out of gas in the valley on the back at Kirtland and limped home.   >:(

Jeff Schley

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 10:01:40 AM »
Also not 36, but Ben Crenshaw and some others played the NY Metro dream 18 with a helicopter. I have seen it mentioned here previously as well.

https://www.mgagolf.org/content/original-dream-18-0
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 10:37:06 AM »
Not 18, but I played 9 at Gleneagles in the morning, then 9 at SFGC in the afternoon. The members at our lunch table at SFGC had never heard of Gleneagles 2 miles away.  ;D

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 11:04:03 AM »
Don't recommend this, but was the first tee time at Royal County Down last June 7:30 I believe.  Was the last tee time of the day at Lahinch at around 5:30 pm.  About a 4:30 hour ride between IIRC and the only way we could fit in Lahinch.
Yes it was not easy as the drive to Lahinch was a bit of a rush and man we slept well after that.

Wow!!!! Well played :)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 01:57:54 PM »
Last year Cirba and I played Ekwanok and Palmer House in the same day.  Not only were we the first two to probably do these two courses in the same day (technically only 27 holes), but probably the only 2 to EVER play both of these courses!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

JohnVDB

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 02:19:13 PM »
Years ago, when this website was still a glimmer in Ran’s eyes, a group of us from an long forgotten other website played Tobacco Road in the morning and Mid-Pines in the afternoon.  From the ridiculous to the sublime. 8 hours of golf, 5 at TR and 3 at MP.

It was later on that trip the John Morrissett told me about this new website that his brother was setting up.

Tim Martin

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 02:49:13 PM »
Newport CC in the morning and then a 2:30 time at Essex County Club in the afternoon. Even though it’s only 100 miles of driving each way I wouldn’t think many have put the two together.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 02:51:11 PM »
Years ago, when this website was still a glimmer in Ran’s eyes, a group of us from an long forgotten other website played Tobacco Road in the morning and Mid-Pines in the afternoon.  From the ridiculous to the sublime. 8 hours of golf, 5 at TR and 3 at MP.

It was later on that trip the John Morrissett told me about this new website that his brother was setting up.
What website was that?  GolfWeb?

mike_malone

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2020, 03:02:38 PM »
After having 10 sets of clubs stolen from our bus parked outside a motel near Newcastle N.I. ( It’s in Tom Coyne’s book since his dad was with me).We played Royal County Down in the am with rentals than drove to Royal Portrush with same club arrangement.

The Northern Ireland Tourist Board paid first for the lunch and then a few rounds at the Bushmills Inn.

Three sets were left behind apparently because the car was full. The bus company paid for total replacement of everything in the bags.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 03:04:51 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

John Blain

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2020, 03:56:52 PM »
Cypress Point in the morning and the Peter Hay par 3 course @ PB in the afternoon.

Ari Techner

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2020, 05:33:05 PM »
Pine Valley in the am and NGLA in the afternoon.  Way too much traffic in between. 

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2020, 05:50:57 PM »

My would have been, except:   first tee time at at Dornoch, drove to and missed the sailing of the ferry to Islay (by 10 minutes) and a late round at The Machrie

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2020, 06:00:22 PM »
Loch Lomond in the morning and Dornoch in the evening (8:00).
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Peter Flory

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2020, 06:57:27 PM »
Pine Valley in the am and NGLA in the afternoon.  Way too much traffic in between.

That's a helluva day

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2020, 09:04:36 PM »
Yesterday
9 holes at Goat Hill with my son(was meant to be 18 but couldn't quite get away early enough)
Lunch at The Goat
followed by 18 at Island's End with my regular Tuesday 4 ball game
then an emergency nine with the three ball that had trailed us, that also included my son.
Four different ferry rides, three different groups..
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Smolens

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2020, 11:46:17 PM »
Back in ‘91, Royal Troon in the morning, ferry to Northern Ireland, and Ballycastle in a driving rainstorm in the afternoon qualify? Awesome trip with 19 rounds in 9 days, two ferry rides, and double digit single malts with the Manager at Western Gailes. . .

Peter Flory

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2020, 12:26:34 AM »
Back in ‘91, Royal Troon in the morning, ferry to Northern Ireland, and Ballycastle in a driving rainstorm in the afternoon qualify? Awesome trip with 19 rounds in 9 days, two ferry rides, and double digit single malts with the Manager at Western Gailes. . .

Only 67 miles apart, but the ferry ride and going to another country creates a significant barrier.  If anyone else did that, they were probably a member of Ballycastle. 

JohnVDB

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2020, 06:08:38 AM »

Only 67 miles apart, but the ferry ride and going to another country creates a significant barrier.  If anyone else did that, they were probably a member of Ballycastle.

As much as most of the Scots and many of the Northern Irish would like to break off, they are still part of the United Kingdom, so technically one country.

JohnVDB

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2020, 06:10:26 AM »

What website was that?  GolfWeb?

I think we had moved on from GolfWeb by that time, but that is where most of us early birds had met.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2020, 06:35:59 AM »

You're not thinking big enough:  you need to think private jets.

In the early 80s a group coming back from The Open via the Concorde played one of the Open rota courses [can't remember which], took the Concorde to NYC, played Winged Foot, got on a private jet, and finished Pebble Beach at dusk that night.

Bobby Clampett with George Peper, Hughes Norton and Brian Morgan. The Old Course was the Rota course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back