News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Medalist
« on: May 24, 2020, 01:04:47 AM »
This website seemed a lot more excited to talk about Seminole! But Medalist looks really interesting too. I watched the 1995 Price vs. Norman SWWoG match on YouTube today; I know the course has changed in some ways since then.

Golf Digest has Medalist rated a bit outside its Top 200: 15th in Florida, where 13 Florida courses make the Top 200. Golfweek has it ranked as #179 Modern. That's better than a lot of places, but not as high as it seemed headed for when it opened.

This article focuses on the greens and has some interesting commentary. As with Seminole last week, there are a bunch of good course-related articles all around golf media.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Medalist
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 07:06:22 AM »
I had a tee time at the Medalist but my GPS took me next door to McArther which I do believe is a better club for a guy like me. Medalist was fun and very, very friendly.

I don't know what happens when you turn 60 but I think Florida is one hell of a place for a golfer to hang out.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 12:17:01 PM »
I have played Medalist only once, the year it opened. It was as tough as a two dollar steak. I remember many of the holes, especially the first par three, which was a bear of a green to hit. I'll be interested to see how it has developed.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 12:18:17 PM »
I had a tee time at the Medalist but my GPS took me next door to McArther which I do believe is a better club for a guy like me. Medalist was fun and very, very friendly.

I don't know what happens when you turn 60 but I think Florida is one hell of a place for a golfer to hang out.

John, I have few friends who left The Medalist and joined MacArthur. They thought it was more player friendly and more fun to play.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Leahy

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 04:44:17 PM »
Fun to see the millionaire QB's hack it up. Wonder if they will finish before dark. ???
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 05:54:07 PM »
In what world is Brady an 8?  Phil is not playing much better.
Be the ball

David_Elvins

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 06:42:29 PM »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 07:21:00 PM »

How many 8’s don’t know how to take a drop?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 07:32:57 PM »
These relentless tee shots over acres of swamp cabbage are a tad boring.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 07:34:32 PM »
I think it looks pretty fun, though admittedly punishing for someone playing like Brady was on the front nine.

What stops it from being ranked higher? It looks pretty, perfect condition, difficult, strategic, and interesting around the greens.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 07:38:48 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 08:07:36 PM »
Why any pro golfer would ever want this to be their home golf course is utterly beyond me. What a yawnfest of flat, featureless, swamp-ridden, water-infested dullness it is.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 08:17:02 PM »
I told Matt, I’ve heard Medalist called many things, but “fun” is not one of them.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 08:37:29 PM »
If you have Tour ability join Medalist. If you’ve got Tour money join McArther.

It’s better to have two courses in the neighborhood each suited for its members than one ill suited for either.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 10:25:52 PM »
I would have much rather seen today's players on last weeks course at Seminole. It was far more entertaining from a trash talk and banter perspective.

I'm with Bonnar on this one, outside of a few holes and features, not a fan...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 11:07:52 PM by Kalen Braley »

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 10:48:55 PM »

How many 8’s don’t know how to take a drop?

most...
of course they can't play to 8 either...
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Peter Flory

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2020, 11:59:20 PM »

Brady's setup look good and his swing is really decent in a lot of ways, but his game off the tee is not functional.  If they didn't say his handicap, I would have assumed that he was at least an 18.  He doesn't use a driver and his 3 wood shot trajectory is very shank-like.  I found that aspect very stressful to watch. 

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2020, 01:00:13 AM »
When you play Medalist for the first time, bring a lot of golf balls in your bag otherwise you'll finish early.

It's not fun
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Matthew Rose

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2020, 01:30:52 AM »
I'm not sure I have any desire to play it.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2020, 10:29:25 AM »

Brady's setup look good and his swing is really decent in a lot of ways, but his game off the tee is not functional.  If they didn't say his handicap, I would have assumed that he was at least an 18.  He doesn't use a driver and his 3 wood shot trajectory is very shank-like.  I found that aspect very stressful to watch.

Pete,

Agreed on his HC.

To boot, I don't ever recall playing with a single digit who couldn't pitch and chip around the greens at least competently.  And the flat stick was fairly abysmal outside of that one eagle putt.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2020, 10:58:24 AM »
I doubt if I have played a round in Florida where I haven't said, "It's one club length for free, and two with a penalty." They always say they got it but they never do. Handicap exclusive.

Brady won the long drive contest by hitting an iron 220 in the rain. He probably putts out as often as he buys a drink. I believe he is a country club 8. I'm a country club 2 and am not sure I want to give him 3 a side which is exactly what he got from Tiger and Phil.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2020, 11:26:15 AM »
There may be a few on this site who have the game to play at Medalist successfully and frequently, with 2 outstanding PGA Tour professionals talking trash and a working counterpart; in the rain and with TV cameras watching every move.  I'm not sure my game is that good, though I'd love to give it a try, hoping I'd do better than Brady did on the opening 6.

I actually liked the course; it would have shown a bit better if it was sunny; though Seminole really looked great last week.

BK

Peter Flory

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2020, 11:29:37 AM »
Tiger was a +8.  That sounds crazy until I imagine playing him for money... then it sounds light.  With Brady, at least he is not a sandbagger.  Manning's iron game was surprisingly strong.  Maybe due to a more limited range of motion.  I can only imagine the abuse that these guys have taken over the years- starting virtually every game for 25 years w/ HS, college, and pro leagues. 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 11:33:46 AM by Peter Flory »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2020, 11:32:28 AM »
Brady's rain gear was ill fitting as evidenced by the split pants. He has a nice life with the possible exception of his wife picking out his clothes.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2020, 11:47:41 AM »
Winning in the rain is 80% having the right gear. I'm not sure Brady had more than one hat. Early in the round he was hitting shots as water dripped off the bill. Only later did he have the sense to remove the hat.

At Kingsbarns I had on long pants that did not interact with the combination of rain gear and humidity. I got in a bind and threw out my back. I had to forfeit the ninth hole and walk straight to the half way house where I got properly liquored up. Of course I still won the match because the other 20% of winning in the rain is made up on the first tee. Those guys are pissed about it till this day.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2020, 11:55:32 AM »
Tiger was a +8.  That sounds crazy until I imagine playing him for money... then it sounds light.  With Brady, at least he is not a sandbagger.  Manning's iron game was surprisingly strong.  Maybe due to a more limited range of motion.  I can only imagine the abuse that these guys have taken over the years- starting virtually every game for 25 years w/ HS, college, and pro leagues.
Peter good point, you can't call TB12 a sandbagger, I love playing guys with vanity handicaps. ;D
Also neither Manning or Brady were very mobile at all. Had great footwork to slide the pocket, but neither were great pocket movement/bootleg qb's.  Classic pocket passers.  Try and keep your eyes downfield and step into a throw when Julius Peppers at 6'7 300lbs is running right at you about ready to pop you as you step into your thrown.  QB's don't get enough credit for the hits they absorb at that level. They aren't P.....ys that is for damn sure.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back