News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Trenham

Let's break this into three categories of completion and keep it to areas where you live or have a handicap.

Western Suburbs of Philadelphia:

Recently Completed

1912 Club (pka Plymouth Country Club)
Ron Prichard & Tyler Rae
Full course restoration except modification of a few holes to fit in a driving range for the new owners of a financially troubled club.

In Progress

Concord Country Club
Ron Forse and Jim Nagle
Multi-step process to redesign the worst holes on a course modified due to land sales.  Previously the original and best holes have been restored well over 10 plus years.

Future

Cedarbrook Country Club
Jaeger Kovich
Redesign of a mid-century design to better incorporate the creeks on the property and address flooding and run-off issues.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Matt_Cohn

Recent: Menlo Country Club (fun? Crazy? Somewhere in between?)

In Progress: Doak and C+C courses in wine country! (Self explanatory. Honorable Mention: North course at Corica Park.)

Upcoming: Hanse at Lake Merced (how much will they have him do? Selecting this over Hanse at Olympic based on a guess that the work at Lake Merced will be a bigger improvement/change)

Kyle Harris

Jaeger at Cedarbrook is exciting for me, too, for not the least of which reason is I consider Jaeger a friend (whether he does me or not remains to be seen - he likes my dog though) but I have fond memories of Cedarbrook from Junior Golf. Always a nice little vibe at that club.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Tim Martin

CC of Farmington is a Dev Emmet course in Farmington, CT that hired Matt Dusenberry for restoration work. Matt did a great job at Keney Park in Hartford and got on CC of Farmington’s radar as a result. The best part for me is Farmington’s recent hiring of Scott Ramsay the former long time superintendent at Yale. I know Scott had a consultation role at Keney so he already has a relationship with Matt. I’ve always liked the golf course and am anticipating something really good.

Tim Rooney

Columbus CC proper grow-in,normal maintenance program.Last year debacle with misdiagnosed main pump problem later repaired as electrical issue by concerned member!

PCCraig

I would really like to get down to Rochester G&CC to see Mr. Doak and the boys' work restoring the course there. Looks really neat.
H.P.S.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

Recent: Menlo Country Club (fun? Crazy? Somewhere in between?)

In Progress: Doak and C+C courses in wine country! (Self explanatory. Honorable Mention: North course at Corica Park.)

Upcoming: Hanse at Lake Merced (how much will they have him do? Selecting this over Hanse at Olympic based on a guess that the work at Lake Merced will be a bigger improvement/change)

Also in Bay Area of interest:

Recent: Orinda CC (played it before the recent restoration/renovation work)

In Progress: Sharp Park. Hope that the COVID-19 crisis won't put too much of a damper on whatever work they're able to get done there.

Upcoming: The Olympic Club. Extremely anxious and intrigued to see what Hanse will be able to do with all three courses.[size=78%] [/size]

Tim Gallant

Can I extend this to where I used to live?!  ;D

I worked at Congressional in the bag room for a summer during high school, and was able to play the Blue 3 or 4 times. I am a big admirer of Andrew Green, and will be interested to see what he does there.

Can't wait to give it a crack when it's open!

Ben Stephens

I worked at Congressional in the bag room for a summer during high school, and was able to play the Blue 3 or 4 times. I am a big admirer of Andrew Green, and will be interested to see what he does there.

Tim

I follow Andrew Green's twitter and Oak Hill (East) is to reopen in next few days - it seems more subtle than what he is doing at Congo

Cheers
Ben

Tim Gallant

Tim

I follow Andrew Green's twitter and Oak Hill (East) is to reopen in next few days - it seems more subtle than what he is doing at Congo

Cheers
Ben

Ben,

Spot on - this young member has been posting some photos of the about to re-open Oak Hill: [size=78%]https://twitter.com/DylanTBronson[/size]

What makes me so interested in Congressional is that Oak Hill and Inverness are both Ross courses, and the types of projects seem to be quite similar. But at Congressional, it won't and shouldn't be in the same style as the design pedigree is different, and I believe there are different challenges with the property / routing. I've seen one or two photos of the work at Congo and it certainly looks different to the work that Andrew has done at the aforementioned courses.

Ira Fishman

Re: Recent work in your City or Golf Association you most want to see
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 08:25:01 AM »
Green also is renovating a public course in DC area—Eisenhower. The most distinctive theme is the elimination of all bunkers. And it will indeed be interesting to see what he can do with Congressional which never quite punches up to its weight. Btw, the goal is to restore some of the Emmet, not Ross, design elements.

The other one of interest in DC is the Renaissance re-do of Washington Golf and CC. It is a tight hilly site that had a good Ross routing but some awkward holes.

Ira

Bernie Bell

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 08:53:50 AM »
In DC Future category - East Potomac.

MCirba

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 10:08:33 AM »
Congo was going to be a significant Keith Foster revision as no one honestly thinks the course lives up to the property potential.  Were those Andrew Green's marching orders as well?
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Scott Warren

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 08:54:00 PM »
There has been a good amount happening in Sydney in recent times and some exciting stuff planned into the future.

RECENT
Bob Harrison and Scott Champion built 6-7 new holes for Brighton Lakes GC in south west Sydney in some bushland across the highway from the rest of the golf course.

The course used to be called New Brighton GC until a deal whereby a handful of holes were taken for residential development.

I’m keen to see their from-scratch work across the highway and also their tweaks to the remaining holes from the original course.

UNDERWAY
Harley Kruse has been undertaking a renovation of Killara GC that has included removing a few million trees from what used to be one of the narrowest courses you could imagine. The land is good and the old course fell monumentally short of what it should have been. I have heard a lot of really good things about the work Harley has done.

UPCOMING
Gil Hanse’s total redesign of Royal Sydney GC is so exciting. The course is somewhat limited by its location (boundary issues) and the flat ground away from the edges, but it’s great soil and a sufficient budget and the best land could be so much more well used.

As it stands, you’ve played across all the good land by the 8th hole. Gil’s plan splits that across both nines.

Also, the scale of Renaissance Design’s work at NSWGC is yet to be determined, but the idea of what they can achieve putting the finishing touches on an already World Top 50 course, and reversing some poor recent work by Greg Norman, is pretty damn exciting.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 02:50:21 PM »
Jaeger at Cedarbrook is exciting for me, too, for not the least of which reason is I consider Jaeger a friend (whether he does me or not remains to be seen - he likes my dog though) but I have fond memories of Cedarbrook from Junior Golf. Always a nice little vibe at that club.

Alister and I would be honored to show you and Mr. Peter around anytime my friend!

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2020, 02:58:16 PM »
Let's break this into three categories of completion and keep it to areas where you live or have a handicap.

Western Suburbs of Philadelphia:

Recently Completed

1912 Club (pka Plymouth Country Club)
Ron Prichard & Tyler Rae
Full course restoration except modification of a few holes to fit in a driving range for the new owners of a financially troubled club.

In Progress

Concord Country Club
Ron Forse and Jim Nagle
Multi-step process to redesign the worst holes on a course modified due to land sales.  Previously the original and best holes have been restored well over 10 plus years.

Future

Cedarbrook Country Club
Jaeger Kovich
Redesign of a mid-century design to better incorporate the creeks on the property and address flooding and run-off issues.

Thanks for the shout-out Mike. As you know Cedarbrook’s property is pretty incredible and reconnecting the course with it’s defining feature, the Wissahickon Creek is a big part of what we are looking to do. The club has really been really great and supportive through the process. We are looking forward to unveiling the plans at an appropriate time later this time.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2020, 08:27:18 PM »
In the Phoenix/Scottsdale area:

1. Troon CC in north Scottsdale:  Renovation by Tom Weiskopf/ Phil Smith of the original Weiskopf/Jay Moorish design. Opens in December. 
https://www.arizonafoothillsmagazine.com/in-house/country-clubs/scottsdale-golf-course-undergoes-4-6-million-renovation

2. Sterling Grove in the West Valley is new construction with a Nicklaus Design. Opens early next year.
https://www.sterlinggroveclub.com/golf

3. Phoenician GC in Scottsdale. Phil Smith did  a complete redesign of the previous 27 holes into an 18 hole course.
https://www.thephoenician.com/golf/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2020, 09:50:11 PM »
Proper restoration of Hamilton G&CC to restore H.S. Colt's bunkers.  I belive that Mackenzie & Ebert are doing work there now, hopefully they do a proper job. 

The bunker there that really bugs me right now is the left fairway on #1 South (10th hole in routing used for Cdn Open) which is at least ten yards into the rough.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2020, 07:43:27 AM »
I'm in Melbourne now, so for me - Yarra Yarra, both the completed work and the yet to be completed.

As for projects I'd like to see - Commonwealth.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Ken Fry

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2020, 08:58:21 AM »
I'm in Melbourne now, so for me - Yarra Yarra, both the completed work and the yet to be completed.

Yarra Yarra suffers from being in such a tough neighborhood.  Beautiful course, incredible par 3's, firm and fast.  Certainly a course that could be enjoyed every day!
Ken

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2020, 05:31:58 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the new greens at Bellerive due at the end of summer. 2nd set in under 5 years I believe. Closed down shortly after the PGA Championship and supposedly found the "new"greens were built on top of the previous ones. I guess that's bad?

And Old Warson has an entirely new 17th par 3 hole that looks really good.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2020, 05:50:31 PM »
Bay Area

Recent:  Diablo CC - looking forward to seeing Todd Eckenrode's work when the course fully opens in a month or so.  An incredibly great setting.

In Progress:  Alameda - mentioned above by Matt Cohn

Future:  Brambles - north of Napa.  James Duncan's project with C&C moving along after the Middletown fire.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Matthew Rose

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2020, 11:52:42 PM »

Yarra Yarra suffers from being in such a tough neighborhood.  Beautiful course, incredible par 3's, firm and fast.  Certainly a course that could be enjoyed every day!
Ken

I absolutely loved it.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back